My annual list of Gen Con Survival Tips
1 3
1 3
Posted by bpardoe870

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2016/07/20/my-annual-2016-gen-con-survival-tips/

Enjoy! 

Blaine Pardoe 

Posted by thag13

well done sir

I would add

Sunglasses.   Having a pair for the walk back to my hotel saves me from getting a headache.

Extra socks.  Change them often.  Your Feet will thank you

Drink Water, lots of it.  Not Tea, colas, energy drinks, beer , ect....Water.   Im not saying you cant have any of the other drinks, in 40 years of going to cons, I have seen more folks get sick over not hydrating is legion.  Drink Water.....have a water bottle....

Posted by trace_sl

Saturday is the un-official Hawaiian Shirt day :)

To avoid con crud take something like Airborne or such, start at least three days before the con.  Just saw on the new where a norovirus has hit the Republican Convention (insert joke here) (I sh#t you not)! 

Business cards with your contact information on them, faster to pass out and no misinformation. 

Foot powder.

Posted by garhkal trace_sl

I prefer plain ole talc for that..

Posted by lmengsol bpardoe870

Amen to #4!!!!

Posted by roundtop

that reminds me. gotta pack some Battletech books to get signed.... then to begin the great "Buck" hunt of Gen Con 2016.  I'll put a lure on the pokestop that is the Mechwarrior pods

Posted by lore seeker roundtop

roundtop wrote:
that reminds me. gotta pack some Battletech books to get signed.... then to begin the great "Buck" hunt of Gen Con 2016.  I'll put a lure on the pokestop that is the Mechwarrior pods

Battletech-themed Pokemon...now there's an idea!

Posted by roundtop

Urbion, I choose you!

.... it's not very effective...

Urbion is evolving into..... jagerion.

.... it's still not very effective...

jagerion is evolving into... Impion.

... finally effective.

Posted by mhayward1978 trace_sl

trace_sl wrote:
To avoid con crud take something like Airborne 

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2008/08/makers-airborne-settle-ftc-charges-deceptive-advertising

...“There is no credible evidence that Airborne products, taken as directed, will reduce the severity or duration of colds, or provide any tangible benefit for people who are exposed to germs in crowded places,” said Lydia Parnes, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection....

Posted by brotherbock

But the placebo effect can be both real and an effective treatment. Even when you have read things like the above. 

Posted by ellis1138

To not get Norovirus, make sure to wash your hands often, or carry Purell or WetWipes or something.
Airborne does nothing, but washing your hands, drinking enough water, eating well (not junk) and getting some sleep would go a long way to keeping one healthy.

Posted by tdb

What is this sleep you speak of?

Posted by garhkal tdb

tdb wrote:
What is this sleep you speak of?

Its that thing non gamers keep saying they need more of.

Posted by divachelle ellis1138

ellis1138 wrote:
To not get Norovirus, make sure to wash your hands often, or carry Purell or WetWipes or something.
Airborne does nothing, but washing your hands, drinking enough water, eating well (not junk) and getting some sleep would go a long way to keeping one healthy.
Adding to this: don't touch your face or put your fingers in your mouth, nose (eww!) or ears! It spreads the germs!

Posted by roundtop

let me stress this: Drink enough water, eat well (not eat lots, but eat well).  You are at the con for 4-6 days. your body probably can't handle fast food for all meals for the entire time.  have proper food.

I highly suggest picking up some fruit at the grocery store and eat that in the mornings/snacks.  Bananas, Apples, Oranges are all good choices and travel well.

Posted by ayoung98683 brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
But the placebo effect can be both real and an effective treatment. Even when you have read things like the above. 

Yeah, so placebo with a bag of M&M's rather than rewarding snake-oil ;-)

Posted by trace_sl

You are right but Airborne seems to work for me. :)  Vitamins like C does a lot to keep you healthy, it boost your immune system, it is no cure, nor does it prevent you from getting sick, it just lowers the chances.   

Washing your hands is important.  There is an old saying...The hand you shake may have had a penis in it a few moments ago...

Posted by brotherbock ayoung98683

ayoung98683 wrote:
brotherbock wrote:

Yeah, so placebo with a bag of M&M's rather than rewarding snake-oil ;-)

If only it worked that way.

The fact is that medical professionals are starting to recognize the placebo effect as a legitimate treatment option. If Product X works for me, even though I have seen data that it doesn't work better than a placebo--it still works. (and M&Ms won't) Why not use it?  

Posted by bpunkert

As someone who has chronically low Vitamin B12 (mild pernicious anemia) and Vitamin D, proven by bloodwork, I'll be bringing some of the Jaimeson powdered multivitamin packets as they are much smaller than having to bring whole bottles of multis on the plane (or worse, the B12 bottle and the Vitamin D bottle). I'd rather not have to spend $20 on multivitamins I have to throw out before I fly home, so these clearly labeled packets are a compromise.

Also hand sanitizer. Water based, unscented hand sanitizer. Because I don't want to have to wash my hands a thousand times a day and I have bad balance, so not using things like handrails is a non-option for me.

And drink lots. Dehydration is a real thing, and that peevish irritability and headache you're getting are likely the first signs.

Incidentally, your tips for 2015 were one of my first reads as a newbie and it gave me a few ideas. Thanks.

Posted by lore seeker roundtop

roundtop wrote:
Urbion, I choose you!
.... it's not very effective...
Urbion is evolving into..... jagerion.
.... it's still not very effective...
jagerion is evolving into... Impion.
... finally effective.

I'm laughing way too hard at this :)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3
1 3