No event tickets, going solo. Would you still go?
Posted by brotherbock

Lots of larger games will have open spots, almost guaranteed. We (BYOV) run LARPs of 25-35 people, and with that number, we will always have no show ticketed players. Get some generics and show up, we'll find something for you to play :) 

Posted by pezkat

There are tons of board games with slots open, including a fun Tetrisish tile-laying/route-building game called Canalis I'm running Sat. evening. ;)  Rio Grande runs a board game room that doesn't require tickets.  And from what I've heard many, many games (rpg and board) have no-shows (especially mornings Sat/Sun but others too) so generics will get you far.

Posted by ironsphinx

I would still go, but then again, even when I travel with friends, I'm usually by myself due to the fact that we don't all play the same games and go to the same seminars.

I'd say this is the perfect opportunity to break out of your normal con routine and do things that you may have missed otherwise: check out the Gen Con auction/consignment room, play lots of demo games in the dealer room, blow some 'Mechs up in the Battletech pods, watch an anime that sounds interesting, pick an open party-game like Munchkin and have a good time playing with a bunch of strangers, do a crafty thing like making a chainmail dice bag... there's so much at the con to do it's impossible to fit it all in. :)

Posted by kharavex rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
Hey All,
Long time Gen Con attendee here.  Up until an hour ago it looked like I was going to miss my first Gen Con in about 10 years due to a work obligation.  Now it seems I will have the time off to go.  I found a flight from Los Angeles.  I found a place to stay near'ish Indianapolis.  However, this late in the game I have absolutely no events and because I initially wasn't going my usual Gen Con friends that come out with me are also not going.  So...do I make the trip alone (not a big deal) with no events?  I'm guessing if I do go I arm myself with a bunch of generics and try to get into D&D games, True Dungeon, Fantasy Flight and Pathfinder games, etc.  
Anyone ever come to Gen Con last minute with no event tickets?  I come for the gaming (and a little socializing) and like to stay busy.  It's a long trip from California to plan last minute.  What do you all think?

I did that two years ago. I had a blast, breaking out of my old routine. Enjoy yourself, relax, and take it all in with no regrets. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Posted by brion rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
Hey All,
Long time Gen Con attendee here.  Up until an hour ago it looked like I was going to miss my first Gen Con in about 10 years due to a work obligation.  Now it seems I will have the time off to go.  I found a flight from Los Angeles.  I found a place to stay near'ish Indianapolis.  However, this late in the game I have absolutely no events and because I initially wasn't going my usual Gen Con friends that come out with me are also not going.  So...do I make the trip alone (not a big deal) with no events?  I'm guessing if I do go I arm myself with a bunch of generics and try to get into D&D games, True Dungeon, Fantasy Flight and Pathfinder games, etc.  
Anyone ever come to Gen Con last minute with no event tickets?  I come for the gaming (and a little socializing) and like to stay busy.  It's a long trip from California to plan last minute.  What do you all think?

It's entirely dependent on how you are with flying solo at these types of things. I haven't gone to Gen Con by myself, but I would love it almost as much as with my group. As for no scheduled events, there is plenty to do in the exhibit hall and free game rooms. I have only participated in 2 scheduled events in my 6 years, but always have fully packed days.

Posted by tamwulf

My standard operating procedure for GenCon is solo with no event tickets (I just buy a bunch of Generic's). Once in a while, if there is an event I reeeeealy want to get into, I'll get event tickets. But there is just so much to do, see, and play (demo's or pick up games all over the convention center), that it's never been an issue for me.

I have plenty of Convention Friends (people I only ever see at GenCon- this is #17 for me) that going out to eat is never a problem, and there is always someone out and about to hang out with.

I'll also add that some of my best experiences at GenCon was bunking with complete strangers- people "looking for a roommate". I've made some good friends that way!

Posted by rhone1

Thank you all for the awesome feedback!

I am absolutely going this year and arrive on Tuesday.  I'm really excited to get there!

Posted by mrshiny

Also, these last minute Call of Cthulhu events have space left:

https://www.gencon.com/events/100968

https://www.gencon.com/events/100974

https://www.gencon.com/events/100964

Posted by rhone1

Okay, so, I ended up going to Gen Con alone, at the last minute and with no event tickets and had a very good time...actually, one of the best times I've ever had.

On Tuesday I was able to switch my hotel from one by the airport to one the downtown Westin as they had an opening when I checked online when I got there.  It was a little pricey, but so worth being close.

Wednesday with KFG at The RAM was fantastic.  I showed up and got into a couple of games when the GM's had no shows and allowed me to join.  I went to the Stink and ran into a few people I had met at previous Gen Con's.

For events I only used generics.  I ended up a BMG 5th edition D&D game that was sweet.  Played in a Castles & Crusades game.  Played Tyrants of the Underdark twice (such a good game).  Got into a Descent game.  Ran four different True Dungeon games (puzzle and combat for each).  I also spent a fair amount of time in the dealer hall.

Never once was I bored.  I had meals with different people each time and made some new friends.  Bottom line here for me is this...just go to Gen Con.  Having ticketed events is nice but not a must.  I was able to do everything I was hoping to do and met some great folks.

Sooooo looking forward to Gen Con 2017!

Posted by bakermouse10133 rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
Okay, so, I ended up going to Gen Con alone, at the last minute and with no event tickets and had a very good time...actually, one of the best times I've ever had.
On Tuesday I was able to switch my hotel from one by the airport to one the downtown Westin as they had an opening when I checked online when I got there.  It was a little pricey, but so worth being close.
Wednesday with KFG at The RAM was fantastic.  I showed up and got into a couple of games when the GM's had no shows and allowed me to join.  I went to the Stink and ran into a few people I had met at previous Gen Con's.
For events I only used generics.  I ended up a BMG 5th edition D&D game that was sweet.  Played in a Castles & Crusades game.  Played Tyrants of the Underdark twice (such a good game).  Got into a Descent game.  Ran four different True Dungeon games (puzzle and combat for each).  I also spent a fair amount of time in the dealer hall.
Never once was I bored.  I had meals with different people each time and made some new friends.  Bottom line here for me is this...just go to Gen Con.  Having ticketed events is nice but not a must.  I was able to do everything I was hoping to do and met some great folks.
Sooooo looking forward to Gen Con 2017!
Glad you gave us an update! I was hoping you had a good time :)

Posted by dsalmeron

Assuming you went, how was your experience?

Posted by truelink

Dsalmeron, Rhorn1 posted his experience two posts up from yours.

Posted by rhone1

No worries.  I did go and it was an amazing time.  If my normal group doesn't make it next year I will go solo again for sure.  Another thing is that I will no longer stress about not getting into events during pre-registration.  I literally used generics for everything and will have no worries about doing that in the future.

It's also amazing how welcoming and friendly Gen Con attendees are.  We're a nice bunch.  i had meals, drinks and all sorts of social time with some great people I met this year and I cannot wait to see them all again next year.

Posted by nascragman

I was I would have seen this before Gencon.  Nascrag always has room for generics.  Oh well.  Maybe next year

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.