New Survey
Posted by marimaccadmin

New survey, it's only going to take a minute or two of your time, if you could:

Given significant attendance growth, the Gen Con team is investigating the idea of offering additional conventions in future years. Want to share your feedback on possible expansion? Please take this short survey. Thanks for your help!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZNT8PCH

Posted by larpprincess

Filled it out :) Thanks!

Posted by dradama

To me it seems likea veiled attempt to figure out where they could move Gen-Con to not to add a new one. 

These types of surveys came out a few years before they moved from Milwaukee. 

This survey really worries me.  I know that people will say that is not the intention of the survey... well they said the same thing 15 years ago. 

Posted by marimaccadmin

No, it is not.  That's completely incorrect.  It's as stated.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Posted by nikki

I would love a second Gen Con that I could attend!

There were a few surprise cities listed but I was pleasantly surprised to see no Las Vegas option.

Posted by grtbrt

Not really surprised by the cities -Most  cheap in the non traditional time frames (Austin in the spring ,etc.. and don't forget its likely they are using the cities as a locale generalization.  Chicago likely means up to an hour away .

I am sure that they have studied all the mistakes that were made on the previous Gencon expansions. Likely initial thoughts are to be for  a 2k attendee level .

Posted by trace_sl

This may be a five year plan based off current growth, thinking about any figures that Gen Con already has in attendance for this year and what they may be facing in turned away gamers.  Hate to think that we are looking at limiting ticket sales as Comic Con does.      

Wonder about status of events, volenteers, dealers, etc., would we see a drop off in number and quality with a additional Gen Con. 

Posted by tdb

So how would these other cons be billed?  The Second-Best Four Days of Gaming?

In all seriousness, I can't see how having multiple cons could fail to diminish the "main" Gencon.  A lot of folks would only be able to afford one Gencon, either in terms of money or in terms of vacation time.  I suspect that would include a disproportionate number of folks that only manage to attend by volunteering, GM'ing, or assisting a vendor in order to get help with the badge and/or housing.  A con that's closer to home and perhaps cheaper to attend might draw a fair number of those folks, and they're really the backbone of the con.

Posted by parody

I can't wait for Gen Con in Austin, MN! ;)

Anyway, I'm not going to more than one huge convention per year.  I already attend a few smaller gaming conventions (from 200-1,200 people) throughout the year, so I'm not hurting for convention gaming time.

As far as attendance guesses go, Gen Con SoCal was getting ~5,000 people 10+ years ago and they folded that.  My guess is that they'd want something the size of Origins (~15,000) if they're going to keep running a second one.

Posted by squirecam

Poor survey. They asked for advice on warm winter options and listed....

Chicago
Detroit
Baltimore

Really?????

Posted by onelittlemoment

Chicago, Detroit, and Baltimore are my top picks, actually.
Just avoid mid-Oct through early May. :)

Posted by dballing tdb

tdb wrote:
In all seriousness, I can't see how having multiple cons could fail to diminish the "main" Gencon.  

To some extent - that would be the point.

Demand outstrips supply at Gen Con Indy. This is an indisputable fact at this point.

If you can relocate some of that demand from Indy, and shift it to, say for an example, Austin, while also picking up additional demand from "people who would trek to Austin but not to Indy", then you:

• Relieve the pressure on Indy. Maybe to the point where demand=capacity 
  • Create a second, parallel, revenue stream for "Gen Con Austin". Such that demand<capacity for a while, but (hopefully, if they've chosen a city properly) where it still viable and profitable.

Posted by remnant

@ Squirecam
I don't think they were necessarily meant to be in combination with each other.  I read it as are these locations places you'd consider going for a Gen Con event and are these times of year good (was sumertime even listed?).

Posted by truelink

Filled out.

I carpool, but wouldn't mind a longer drive. But once it starts getting past 12 hours, then my consideration goes down.

Also, for financial reasons, I would not be able to attend two GenCons a year.

Posted by roundtop

would be nice to actually have a western city on the list. I'm already travelling from the west coast, I don't want to go farther east.

Posted by trace_sl

Limited ticket sales, fear a cap on the number of badges for Gen Con.  Know there were two, could shift the demand and allow for greater flexability for gamers. 

Posted by parody roundtop

roundtop wrote:
would be nice to actually have a western city on the list. I'm already travelling from the west coast, I don't want to go farther east.

It was weird that there were no West coast cities listed.  You'd think that Seattle would be on their short list, despite PAX West.

Then again, despite the conversations that come up every year I don't remember the good intersections of space, nearby hotels, and legal requirements (like union rules). :(

Posted by garhkal squirecam

squirecam wrote:
Poor survey. They asked for advice on warm winter options and listed....
Chicago
Detroit
Baltimore
Really?????

To me the biggest negatives for those 3 cities more than the weather is the damn crime rate.

Posted by jhs

I filled it out.  I hope gencon has a second con!  My friends and I have gone to gencon for a minimum of 11 years (me, I am a noob) to in the 20's, and the hotel shortage has us talking about switching to origins.  I would love to go to Austin or most of the other cities mentioned to attend a smaller gencon.

Posted by choriqueso

:) :) :) :) :) Chicago Chicago Chicago Chicago Chicago :) :) :) :) :)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4