Updated Hall Size
Posted by cass.christopher

Around the time of housing someone posted a picture of the proposed new vendor hall size and layout. Has anyone seen it or have it saved so I can prove to my friend for their first trip this year the importance of good shoes.

Posted by marimaccadmin

I don't but, you can certainyl point out that we're taking over all the exhibit hall space in Lucas Oil, and, not only do we take over the entire convention center, but also most event space in surrounding hotels.  So, over a million square feet.  Last year, I walked 10 miles a day.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Posted by aaronmlopez

Something to note: Good shoes are a must. But make sure you get good shoes for walking on CONCRETE. Not all shoes are the same and what may be comfortable inside for a couple hours just won't do the trick for 10 miles/day on concrete. Trust me when I say that an investment in good shoes is WELL worth it. And your feet will thank you. 

Posted by alans

Here are xome maps of various things Gen Con
http://dorkland.blogspot.com/2015/07/okay-so-it-turns-out-that-i-lied.html

Posted by kevinj4

I'm looking forward to see the changes this year.  I love to walk but it became a challenge with the shoes I was wearing last year (stupid sandels).  I just went to the outlet mall and found some Sketchers I like.  They are very comfortable and feel like I am on the anti fatigue mat down in my warehouse.

A very good investment.

Posted by boc_mage

A good set of hiking boots usually serve me well for the trek through the dungeon/halls. The extra support is worth their weight. Truly believe that gencon that some of us get more exercise/walking than the rest of the year combined.

Posted by truelink

I wonder if this will be the year they put north on the top of the maps instead of the bottom.

Posted by roundtop

Old hiking trick that also works really well for cons.

Wear two pairs of socks. One thin and light, one medium to thick. Thin one on first.  This causes friction, when it occurs, to be between the sock layers rather than your foot and the sock. It helps avoid blisters, plus gives you a bit more padding throughout the day.

Side effect: not quite as cool on your feet to do this, so if you can, use wool hiking socks for the outer and thin hiking undersocks for the under layer. (if needed, outer can be substituted for regular cotton socks)

Posted by brotherbock

So last year in the exhibit hall, hands down the most interesting vendor was Equilibrium USG bags and backpacks. I have been attending Gen Con for 30+ years, and I've never seen anyone selling bags, bags that fit gaming so well, like those guys. A few booths will have novelty or themed backpacks hanging alongside t-shirts (Pokemon backpacks, for example). But I've never seen anyone selling bags to gamers before as 'designed for gamers'.

This thread makes me wonder whether a vendor selling Con-specific shoes could make a go of it. A booth in the hall selling affordable walking shoes, alongside 'gaming shoes' that have pockets for dice and custom-printed skins and such. :)

Posted by roanders truelink

truelink wrote:
I wonder if this will be the year they put north on the top of the maps instead of the bottom.

That always drives me crazy, too.

Posted by jedikitty roundtop

truelink wrote:

This made me smile and shake my head. Though I think every con held there does the same thing for some reason.. (ComicCon and Pop Con) I could be wrong, I'd have to dig up my program books.
roundtop wrote:
Wear two pairs of socks. One thin and light, one medium to thick. Thin one on first.  This causes friction, when it occurs, to be between the sock layers rather than your foot and the sock. It helps avoid blisters, plus gives you a bit more padding throughout the day.

I'm taking this into consideration - thank you ! :)

Posted by vickers1 roundtop

roundtop wrote:
Side effect: not quite as cool on your feet to do this, so if you can, use wool hiking socks for the outer and thin hiking undersocks for the under layer. (if needed, outer can be substituted for regular cotton socks)
Thats sounds like good advice! I am a avid walker myself so gen con is good for that.  Thank you!

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.