Colts And Convention Centers:
Posted by aaronmlopez

Indianapolis itself would probably not be able to handle the 80k+ fans for a football game in addition to the Gen Con attendees. It would not be in their best interest to have both in town on the same weekend. If you thought housing was difficult now, imagine the added problems an additional 80k+ football fans all converging on the city at the same time would be. You would have angry fans from both groups all over town. I am sure that Indianapolis does not want a reputation of not being EVENT FRIENDLY. This is why the city works with the NFL (as does EVERY other NFL city) to make sure that it is able to handle any major event that comes its way. Gen Con is scheduled 5+ years in advance, so Indianapolis will work with the NFL to make sure that the Colts are not scheduled during the Gen Con weekend.

Posted by keithbradburn aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
Indianapolis itself would probably not be able to handle the 80k+ fans for a football game in addition to the Gen Con attendees. It would not be in their best interest to have both in town on the same weekend. If you thought housing was difficult now, imagine the added problems an additional 80k+ football fans all converging on the city at the same time would be. You would have angry fans from both groups all over town. I am sure that Indianapolis does not want a reputation of not being EVENT FRIENDLY. This is why the city works with the NFL (as does EVERY other NFL city) to make sure that it is able to handle any major event that comes its way. Gen Con is scheduled 5+ years in advance, so Indianapolis will work with the NFL to make sure that the Colts are not scheduled during the Gen Con weekend.
Most of the fans that show up for preseason and even regular season games are local, so they are drive in.  The only places that have difficulty with both are the restaurants.  Indianapolis could/can handle both.  Last year’s One Direction concert was bigger in attendance then a Colts game.  Colts game run around 67k in attendance.  According to the event sheet for the concert, with the additional seating on the floor(field) of the stadium, the number was estimated to be 71 to 72k.

Posted by brotherbock keithbradburn

keithbradburn wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:
Most of the fans that show up for preseason and even regular season games are local, so they are drive in.  The only places that have difficulty with both are the restaurants.  Indianapolis could/can handle both.  Last year’s One Direction concert was bigger in attendance then a Colts game.  Colts game run around 67k in attendance.  According to the event sheet for the concert, with the additional seating on the floor(field) of the stadium, the number was estimated to be 71 to 72k.

And both events (Colts and Gen Con) happened a number of times in the past when hotel space was substantially lower as well. There was congestion, and I did hear in person and online some Colts fans complaining about not being able to get into a restaurant or get close parking, and I think only one time I heard someone complaining about not being able to get a hotel room. But you're right that most of those people will not be staying overnight. What will happen is that the food trucks and restaurants will get slammed, the parking lots will double their rates, but everyone will still get to where they are going. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.