Does GENCON host a board game auction?
Posted by jgortner

Hi!

Just curious if GENCON hosts a board game auction. If so, I would love to participate as a seller. Can anyone direct me to where there is information? Thanks!

Justin

Posted by tdb

Yes, there's a huge auction.  It runs Thursday-Saturday.  I don't recall the exact hours, I think it starts at 9:00 or 10:00 AM each day and runs till around 11 PM or so Thursday and Friday, on Saturday night it stops at 7 or 8 and they do the charity auction.  They're open for item drop-off on Wednesday, and on Sunday sellers can pick up payment and get back whatever didn't sell.  You can pre-register your stuff before the convention on their website, and I highly recommend you do that as it really speeds up the paperwork when you get to Indy.

Here's a link to the folks that run it: http://www.livegameauctions.com/

Besides board games they also sell RPG's, magazines, collectible cards, and minis.  They post a schedule at the con (they never know until the con exactly what they'll get, so they can't set the schedule until they get there).  They try to group items so for example they will sell train games for an hour, then Magic cards, then TSR RPG's, then Euro games, then Avalon Hill games, and so forth.

Besides the auction they have an auction store for items that didn't sell in the auction.  It's open whenever the auction is running.

Posted by stormforge tdb

tdb wrote:
Yes, there's a huge auction.  It runs Thursday-Saturday.  I don't recall the exact hours, I think it starts at 9:00 or 10:00 AM each day and runs till around 11 PM or so Thursday and Friday, on Saturday night it stops at 7 or 8 and they do the charity auction.  They're open for item drop-off on Wednesday, and on Sunday sellers can pick up payment and get back whatever didn't sell.  You can pre-register your stuff before the convention on their website, and I highly recommend you do that as it really speeds up the paperwork when you get to Indy.
Besides board games they also sell RPG's, magazines, collectible cards, and minis.  They post a schedule at the con (they never know until the con exactly what they'll get, so they can't set the schedule until they get there).  They try to group items so for example they will sell train games for an hour, then Magic cards, then TSR RPG's, then Euro games, then Avalon Hill games, and so forth.
Besides the auction they have an auction store for items that didn't sell in the auction.  It's open whenever the auction is running.

When you click on the auction link, it shows godaddy.com and says the link expired?

Posted by sliver stormforge

stormforge wrote:
tdb wrote:
When you click on the auction link, it shows godaddy.com and says the link expired?
I was just checking on this as well and got the same result.  Sent an email to the GenCon account for auction related questions and am waiting on a response.

[email protected]

Posted by brotherbock

Try calling the auction folks directly: (330) 289-0013

Posted by zaphod

For items under a certain amount ($30? 40?) you can place them in the auction store, which is basically a flea market.  For items that you want to put into a regular auction, there is pretty much non-stop auctions in different categories (Board Games, Collectibles and RPG's being the largest) for three days straight.

Posted by genconauction

You can also reach the auction staff at:
[email protected]

Posted by jerrytel

The auction site is back up and running.

Jerry

Posted by cmfountaine zaphod

zaphod wrote:
For items under a certain amount ($30? 40?) you can place them in the auction store, which is basically a flea market.  For items that you want to put into a regular auction, there is pretty much non-stop auctions in different categories (Board Games, Collectibles and RPG's being the largest) for three days straight.
Consignment shop limit is $50

Posted by stormforge

The auction is pretty sweet. they auction off some crazy stuff, out of print stuff and nostalgic stuff. Frank Mentzer makes the auction when he is the auctioneer, it's like listening to the history of gaming with him up there. Friday night is the best because it has the charity auction and I have seen some amazing things go for huge huge prices. for example, one year I saw Frank auction off the original 1e DM's Guide mimeographed copy that went to the printing company for the first hard cover edition. As he is sitting up there talking about the history behind it, he gets the final bid up to about $3200 or something. craziest thing I saw but it was so cool at the same time.

Posted by genconkeeper

The auction is also one of the best places to sit and rest. Plus you can enjoy the show. I've sat thru "Party Games" waiting for 'War Games" Frank and crew entertained us.

Randu

Posted by genconkeeper

Posted by ironsphinx

I had great success selling at the consignment store last year. Would recommend the experience to anyone (obviously your mileage may vary depending on what you're selling and what condition it's in).

Posted by genconauction

Just a reminder that pre-registration for the auction ends July 31st! 
There won't be any onsite data entry, so if there is anything you think you might sell in the auction don't miss the deadline!

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.