Why Click the Button?
Posted by linkn samlamiam

samlamiam wrote:
How about the system processes the first wish list item of everyone who hits the submit button before the deadline. 
Then it processes the second item of each person, and so on.
You might need a way to account for multiple "rounds" of wishlist processing, since someone may look for tickets to multiple versions of the same event at different times, and then cancel the extra ones if they manage to get more than one event.  But I could see this as a thing that happens over a few weeks before they go on sale like normal; say every round lasts for 2 days, at the end of those days everyone who still has unpurchased tickets in their cart loses those tickets and they go through wishlist processing again.

I'd also say, for fairness, anyone who doesn't get a ticket in their first pick gets priority for the second wishlist pick, and so on; the longer your wishlist goes without a ticket the further towards the front of the line you are.

Posted by derekguder

If this thread is going to be productive, stay on topic: how & when wish lists should be submitted - specifically whether attendees need manually click a button to make it happen.

Any discussion of round robin or other methods of processing wish lists once they are in the queue should be sent to another thread.

This is the third time. If y'all care that much about both topics, discuss them separately and directly.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by samlamiam derekguder

derekguder wrote:
Folks, this thread is not about a round-robin or similar system, it was initially started about changing when/how wish lists are submitted for processing.
Round robin is a separate idea and should be taken to a separate thread if you actually want to debate possible scenarios.
-
I created a new thread for discussion of Round Robin and any other ideas:

http://www.gencon.com/forums/12-technical-support/topics/995-general-discussion-about-how-to-improve-any-aspect-of-the-wish-list-process 

Posted by tdb

I would love an auto-submit option.  I got a timeout on my first click yesterday, and after a reload and re-click ended up #5955.  It took about an hour and a half to process.  I got a ticket to *one* of the 27 RPG's on my wish list. 

One nuance I would add: To cover cases like linkn's TD purchase (he wanted any run on Thursday evening, so he put every Thursday evening run on his wishlist) you could add an option "skip this event if I already have tickets for another event with the same title".  It would be a bit more complex to implement than the "skip if there aren't tickets for everybody" option that's available now, since you'd have to query the shopping cart, but it would probably be worthwhile.  It might slow down how quickly really popular events sell out, particularly TD, since I suspect a lot of people use linkn's shotgun approach, and delete them from their cart later.

Posted by austicke tdb

tdb wrote:
One nuance I would add: To cover cases like linkn's TD purchase (he wanted any run on Thursday evening, so he put every Thursday evening run on his wishlist) you could add an option "skip this event if I already have tickets for another event with the same title".  It would be a bit more complex to implement than the "skip if there aren't tickets for everybody" option that's available now, since you'd have to query the shopping cart, but it would probably be worthwhile.  It might slow down how quickly really popular events sell out, particularly TD, since I suspect a lot of people use linkn's shotgun approach, and delete them from their cart later.

That's a great idea.

Posted by mystykal

I too had to take a day off work to hitthe botton to then get timed out and end up 6500 in line. 

I will go with my son as we will have a blast. But yes there has to be a way t make it auto process. Its simply so frustrating that in the technological time there isn't some relatively easy way to make this happen. 

Give people the option, if you choose to have it auto submitted you must pre set up your payment method and pay for events that are processed. OR you can submit yourself at noon and have the chance to go through your cart and remove unwanted or duplicate events before paying.

Posted by linkn

Back to the main topic...

I still think the best way to run the event launch, if GenCon decides to stick with purchasing events "live" like this instead of an automated purchase system (personally, I agree with live event sales), is to allow people to sign up for a queue lottery the day of events going on sale.

The process could work something like this:

Before events go on sale, everything works like it does now.  The day they go on sale, when the big timer hits a certain time (perhaps half an hour remaining), the "submit wishlist for processing" button lights up.  When the timer hits 0 (at noon EST, if GenCon keeps to the same schedule), everyone who hit the button before the timer ran out has their position shuffled, and their wishlists process in a random order.

At this point, the system can either do wishlists like it does now, or do some kind of zig-zag system where it'll give everyone one ticket from their wishlist before giving anyone a second ticket, and so on.  Personally, I think that doing a system that tries to give everyone a ticket high on their wishlist would be better than a system where those who get the best pick in the lottery basically get everything in their list, but I know that would also be harder to code.  While this is going on, anyone who got into the system after the timer's up (i.e. after noon EST) would have their wishlist added to the back of the queue, ready to process with the normal system once all the early-comers are finished.

The main benefit to this system, at least in my opinion, is that it doesn't rely on people (or GenCon servers) having stable connections to work fluidly.  Limiting the pre-event timer to half an hour also means that only people who are actually available at their computer to purchase the tickets are considered (assuming GenCon wants to stick with a "live purchase" system).  As an added benefit, GenCon can still add a system that ends up being fair for more people, by attempting to give everyone something from their wishlist instead of the first few people getting everything they want and the last few people getting only what's left by that point (although the "first" and "last" person are randomized, in this case, not just the first one to hit the button).

Posted by flamepulse

no matter what system is used there are going to be people that miss out on what they want.  it is impossible for everyone to be able to attend every event they want.

Personally i think the current system works fine, my only suggestion would be on the page that shows up after your wishlist has been processed would be to make the go to checkout link more apperent instead of jsut a link above the BIG GREEN BUTON that says submit wishlist.  Most people automatically assume that is the continnue buton and end up subbmiting a emptly wishlsit again and have to wait longer.

Posted by hawkeye flamepulse

flamepulse wrote:
no matter what system is used there are going to be people that miss out on what they want.  it is impossible for everyone to be able to attend every event they want.
Personally i think the current system works fine, my only suggestion would be on the page that shows up after your wishlist has been processed would be to make the go to checkout link more apperent instead of jsut a link above the BIG GREEN BUTON that says submit wishlist.  Most people automatically assume that is the continnue buton and end up subbmiting a emptly wishlsit again and have to wait longer.

Yep, I agree 100%. I got 3000 in the queue this year, then had to wait again because of that button. the 2nd time around I got over 6000.

Posted by mystykal

The someone is always going to be disappointed reasoning is not a valid reason to stay with a system many would prefer more user friendly. No matter the system I won't get all I want. I know that, but most would get SOME of what they want with a automated system that did each persons number 1 choice, then each persons #2 choice so on and so on. Even if it is random each time it starts over. Your likely to get some of the events you want unless you have a VERY small pool of events in your wish list.

Posted by rutherfordr derekguder

derekguder wrote:
If wish lists were just processed automatically whether you were here or not, someone could set up a wish list and sit on a bunch of tickets - locking later attendees out - even if they aren't on the site or aren't even going to buy anything.

I hear what you're saying, but doesn't this just lock up tickets for an hour or two at most?

If they aren't going to buy anything, then their tickets are automatically returned to the pool. The amount of time tickets stay in someone's cart could be shortened if needed. Say, 30 minutes, with the option to restart the timer if you're actively on the site and still considering things?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.