Didn't Get Into Your Wishlist Events?
Posted by brotherbock

Just a double reminder... 

1) contact the GMs about playing with generics. Do it now, not at the con. You'll be surprised. 

2) BYOV loves generic tickets for our games :) Let us know, we'll get you in, even when the event says 'Full'.   tinyurl.com/byovlarp

Posted by draconastar

This is a great suggestion, thank you!

I wasn't able to determine how you would contact GM's directly from any of their event submissions.  Is contact info provided somewhere that I'm missing?

Posted by weeble1000

I don't know if there's an easier way to do it, but at the bottom of the event description you'll find info about the GM and a field for an email address.

All of our events (which you can find here) include my email address. And folks are quite welcome to email me with any questions, concerns, or strange requests.

Including requests about 'full' events! As BrotherBock suggests, we will do our utmost to be accommodating. In my view of the world, too many people wanting to play is a great problem to have!

Posted by draconastar weeble1000

weeble1000 wrote:
I don't know if there's an easier way to do it, but at the bottom of the event description you'll find info about the GM and a field for an email address.
All of our events (which you can find here) include my email address. And folks are quite welcome to email me with any questions, concerns, or strange requests.
Including requests about 'full' events! As BrotherBock suggests, we will do our utmost to be accommodating. In my view of the world, too many people wanting to play is a great problem to have!

Thank you!  The e-mail address for the GM wasn't provided for one of the events I'm looking at, but I'm trying to contact them through other means.  

Posted by brotherbock draconastar

draconastar wrote:
weeble1000 wrote:

Thank you!  The e-mail address for the GM wasn't provided for one of the events I'm looking at, but I'm trying to contact them through other means.  

Try emailing Derek at GenCon. He may have some contact info he could pass along. Might not, but it's worth am email. 

Posted by draconastar brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
draconastar wrote:
weeble1000 wrote:

Try emailing Derek at GenCon. He may have some contact info he could pass along. Might not, but it's worth am email. 

Will do.  Thanks for the info!

Posted by derekguder

You can email a message to [email protected] and we'll pass it along to the event organizer when we have the opportunity to do so.

Also, do not encourage players to make pre-show accommodations for generic tickets, at least not where we can see it, people.

There is a registration system for a reason. If a GM could have accommodated one more player, they should have increased their max players accordingly.

If you really want to play something, show up when it's supposed to happen, don't canoodle with the GM ahead of time.

Or run an instance of the game yourself.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by draconastar derekguder

derekguder wrote:
You can email a message to [email protected] and we'll pass it along to the event organizer when we have the opportunity to do so.
Also, do not encourage players to make pre-show accommodations for generic tickets, at least not where we can see it, people.
There is a registration system for a reason. If a GM could have accommodated one more player, they should have increased their max players accordingly.
If you really want to play something, show up when it's supposed to happen, don't canoodle with the GM ahead of time.
Or run an instance of the game yourself.
-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Sorry Derek!  I wasn't trying to make "accomodations" so much as checking whether or not certain events accept generic entries, and if they do how often it has happened in the past.  Just trying to plan!

Posted by derekguder

Officially, all events accept generics in the same capacity: if a registered player doesn't show up (thus opening up a seat) or if the GM has the resources to expand and we can find them the space. RPGs are unlikely to be able to accommodate the latter, generally, considering they need more prep.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by draconastar derekguder

derekguder wrote:
Officially, all events accept generics in the same capacity: if a registered player doesn't show up (thus opening up a seat) or if the GM has the resources to expand and we can find them the space. RPGs are unlikely to be able to accommodate the latter, generally, considering they need more prep.
-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

I'm banking on the former scenario.  If an event is normally very popular, however, or if they haven't historically had extra room, then that might be something to plan around.  My intent was to ping the GM's for the few events that I was the most interested in attending to try and get a relative gauge of my chances beforehand.  

Thanks for the info!

Posted by weeble1000

Absolutely Derek.

As I understand, full just means the max players we can accommodate have pre-registered for the event, but sometimes folks don't show up. 

I'd personally love to hear from anybody who is interested in our events or a specific time slot, even it is already at capacity.

We can always try to find ways to accommodate attendees, such as by requesting more space for an event or maybe even adding a new event, perhaps if we ask Derek super nicely ;).

I expect it will also be handy to know how many people are thinking about swinging by hoping for an open spot at the table. And of course we can always plan better for Gen Con 2017!

All of our events are going to be very accommodating with respect to empty seats, even if the game is already in progress! The tempo is quick, materials are on hand, and the rules are easy.

Posted by brotherbock

I'm sorry, but while the system allows for tickets for my events to be used for other events, thus discouraging people from turning them in if they decide not to come to my game, what's best for my game in terms of filling player spots is to encourage generic tickets. 

People who could not get a regular ticket and contact me ahead of time in person have a much much lower no-show rate. They have made a personal commitment to play, and they almost always show up. Raising the ticket number does not allow *that particular player* to necessarily get that ticket, as it may instead go to someone else for whom my game is a backup to their tournament game. And if that person can use the ticket to my game for any old game, then when they advance in the tournament, they don't turn the ticket in. Thus people don't know there is a spot open. And if they have not been encouraged to show up, because they've been told that GMs should not plan for extra players over their ticket number, they don't show up with generics. 

Regular ticket holders no-show at much higher rates than people who contact me before the con because the event was full. And my concern is getting my event to run well, full if possible. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.