Experience, pro-con's of comfort suites city centre?
Posted by boc_mage

Managed to grab a out of block king suite at the Comfort suites city centre over by the stadium? Any reviews/feed back? Never stayed over in that corner and wanted to see if it's still in decent walking range of the convention center and to restaurants like Scotties.

Feedback/advice appreciated,

-Matt

Posted by maijstral2

Mostly Pro's, stayed there two years running and would stay there again but its been 'discovered' so it sells out just as fast as the other downtown hotels. Big rooms, with pull out sofa beds can sleep 4 easily, 6 is a little tight but doable. They offer a buffet breakfast that is pretty good, not as big as Embassy but better than most and free. Parking is only 12 bucks a day(or was 2 years ago last time I stayed there). Its behind the convention center so it was a small hike to get to anything but not much of one and less now that the Stadium has opened up to Gencon its literally across the street from the Stadium. Free wifi. Standard amenities, pool, gym. The years I was there they opened up the conference rooms for late night gaming but I don't know if they still do that. The staff is very nice and friendly and they have a small convenience store just off the main desk.

Now the cons: all the cons are not deal breakers mostly just minor annoyances. Their free wifi is pretty much worthless in off con hours it cannot handle the full hotel and crashes, however if your in late morning or early afternoon the wifi is fine and their office center wired connection always worked for me but only 3 stations. The Free buffet breakfast is good but not a ton of choices and not nearly enough room for everyone but hey its free, grab some eggs,sausage, muffin, cereal,coffee, juice etc.. and just go back to your room and eat.

Posted by alyssia71

LOL!  That sounds like the room I just cancelled yesterday morning, since I found a hotel in bock on Sunday.   Was looking for something closer to where our friends are staying.   Hope you enjoy the room!  :)  

Posted by boc_mage

Thanks for the feed back. I grabbed it as it had no cancellation penalty. I'd really prefer to be closer or at least any other corner of the convention center complex as my preferred watering hole is Scotty's and Granite City. I've got this and out of block embassy suite. I'll decide closer till con (put to group vote on my friends splitting room) which one I'm keeping. I've stayed most of the connected hotels, just never anything in this corner before.  

Posted by maijstral2

Embassy is closer to all the happenings, I've stayed there a few times as well, but more expensive. The rooms are comparable in size but Embassy has split it into two rooms with a connecting door for some privacy whereas comfort suites is one big room. Embassy has a small kitchenette, comfort suites does have a microwave and minifridge. Embassy has a HUGE breakfast buffet and a ton of room to sit down but does enforce the room key thing, meaning if you have some off the books roommates they probably ain't getting in.

I haven't stayed at Embassy for about 5 or 6 years but I hear its aging, they have super slow elevators and anyone staying in the front room should probably be a heavy sleeper or have earplugs.

Having said all that I think, except for the cost, Embassy is probably the better place to stay.

The only reason I stopped staying there was because I go solo now and felt bad for taking such a big room just for myself. (and now the housing lottery makes it problematical since its probably the most wanted hotel in general)

Posted by thag13

My first 4 gencons were there and I would be happy to go back, but as other folks said, the CC got discovered ...so it sells out now.

I liked it there a lot.  Good folks.  

The Wifi is iffy, but its iffy all downtown when 60 k gamers are in town

Posted by boc_mage

Sounds like a good spot. My concern was while playing around with google maps the apparent lack of food/bar access. I thought the walk from JW to Scotty's was pushing it and the Comfort suites is further out according to high lord google.

Posted by thag13

Its a bit of a walk, but not that bad in my opinion.  I like the fact that you can get to the back entrance to the convenion center.  so you can do a lot of walking in the AC of teh convention hall.

YMMV.  I do walk a lot at home just to get ready for the con.

Posted by boc_mage thag13

thag13 wrote:
Its a bit of a walk, but not that bad in my opinion.  I like the fact that you can get to the back entrance to the convenion center.  so you can do a lot of walking in the AC of teh convention hall.
YMMV.  I do walk a lot at home just to get ready for the con.

Agree with that and the room looks convenient to LOS for TD for me. It's the walk to other non convention hall places why i wanted opinions/advice. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.