Best three food trucks
Posted by truelink

Despite this being my fourth GenCon, I've never eaten at the food trucks. This is because the rest of my group generally avoids them.

Not this year! I want what those trucks have to offer and I will force my group to eat there too.

But I want them to have a great first experience. With so many venues, which ones should I choose? What do the street connoisseurs here think are the best three food trucks to make sure I hit up while there?

Posted by aaronr

My group's favorite is Big Ron's. They are only there for one shift this year but we are planning our Saturday around having lunch at that truck.

Serendipity has some great sandwiches. My wife tries to eat there at least once a year.

We also usually hit up Der Pretzel Wagon pretty often and have enjoyed it quite a bit.

There's 3 for you but honestly we have enjoyed almost every truck we have eaten at. The big exception being the pierogi truck.

Posted by jons90

+1 for Serendipity.  Their chicken mole tacos are outstanding.

Other favorites are Dhaba Indy and Johnsons BBQ Lil Smokey.

Posted by truelink

Thanks for the recommendations!

Posted by ryvre

I love Der Pretzel Wagon and the place with the curry goat!

Posted by doombunny

+1 for Der Pretzel Wagon. it's pretty much the only one I make a point of hitting up.

Posted by ginamarie72

Groovy Guys Fries are great...I love their buffalo chicken fries!

Posted by urielblue

Can't remember the name, but I bought a great turkey leg from one last year... Is there a link to the list of trucks?

Posted by keithbradburn urielblue

uriel-393 wrote:
Can't remember the name, but I bought a great turkey leg from one last year... Is there a link to the list of trucks?
https://files.gencon.com/2016.FoodTruckSchedule.pdf

Posted by armadilloal

https://files.gencon.com/2016.FoodTruckSchedule.pdf

The list came out last week.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Posted by brotherbock

Tacos Without Borders is a fantastic name for a food truck. I hope they have white medical coats on.

Although I am concerned about what will happen to me if my CC is declined at Muay Thai. Will it involve dipping fists in glue and broken glass?

Posted by helenbb

We loved Bacon Station last year. Glad to see they are back this year!

Posted by kidlidar

I tried the food trucks last year, just after lunch time (around 1pm)  Still huge lines and some of the trucks were turning people away.

Posted by brotherbock kidlidar

kidlidar wrote:
I tried the food trucks last year, just after lunch time (around 1pm)  Still huge lines and some of the trucks were turning people away.

I think at something like Gencon, 1pm is still well within lunchtime.

Posted by firvulag

They've always been packed every time I've ever tried to use them.  The one's I have tried had horrible unforgiving customer service and the food was mediocre after very long waits.

For mediocre food there are far more efficient choices. (like White Castle two blocks away, or the food court at the easily accessible nearby mall.)

I wish you better luck with them than I had.   

Posted by brotherbock firvulag

firvulag wrote:
They've always been packed every time I've ever tried to use them.  The one's I have tried had horrible unforgiving customer service and the food was mediocre after very long waits.
For mediocre food there are far more efficient choices. (like White Castle two blocks away, or the food court at the easily accessible nearby mall.)
I wish you better luck with them than I had.   

I haven't had great food from them yet, it's been hit or miss.

I think, though...you've essentially got twenty restaurants there. If you go when they are packed (which I usually end up having to do as well, not sure when they aren't packed), you're getting what you get at any restaurant--a staff dealing with being slammed. And with trucks, you're also getting people who have to deal with being slammed while packed with coworkers into a dorm fridge. I think the odds of bad service are higher.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.