The Safe House: Perhaps Coming to Indy?
Posted by jmsetzer

For those that rememebr GEN CON back in the Milwaukee days, The Safe House was a favorite hangout for the convention crowd. There was talk that they might "follow" GEN CON to Indy, but that never materialised.

This past year, the owner/creator of The Safe House sold the place to Marcus Corp., a large entertainment company based in Milwaukee. They promised to take good care of the property and, indeed, formed a Safe House group in their company.

It looks like Marcus is keeping good on that promise: The Safe House is being updated. Not only that, Marcus wants to open more locations and has already picked out a Midewestern city for the next location. They would be looking at a place with "lots of tourist traffic..."

So, there is hope that GEN CON will be reunited with The Safe House sometime soon!

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2015/12/29/safehouse-to-close-for-renovation-marcus-plans.html

Posted by parody

Way back when they moved to Indy didn't Gen Con offer to support a new Safe House there?

Anyway, sorry to hear the creator died.  It's a neat place, one that might be ruined by a big company.  Hopefully folks will still enjoy it in its new form.

Posted by genconkeeper

The old Milwaukee location needed a MAJOR facelift. The old saucer meal delivery system has been broken since the 70's. The kitchen needed a rehab 30 years ago. Yea GC offered to set them up but I don't think they were very serious. I think Vegas and NYC as future locations. Maybe Univeral and Disney way before indy .

Posted by jmsetzer

Agreed on many points except one: the next city has been chosen and, according to the Fox 6 report, it is "another city in the Midewest." So
no Disney, Vegas, or NY. 

So, a city in the Midwest that gets tourist and visitor traffic. Sounds like Indy to me! ;-)

Posted by marimaccadmin

I saw that as well, and I'm also kinda hoping it's going to be Indy.  I never went to the original one. :)

marimacc
Forum Coordinator

Posted by jmsetzer

Anytime you want to visit we can take you there! After a day of yarn crawling of course (you and Kathleen, but I'll drive you around :-)

Posted by marimaccadmin

You do tempt me sir. :)

marimacc
Forum Coordinator

Posted by gib_rebeg jmsetzer

jmsetzer wrote:
Agreed on many points except one: the next city has been chosen and, according to the Fox 6 report, it is "another city in the Midewest." So
no Disney, Vegas, or NY. 
So, a city in the Midwest that gets tourist and visitor traffic. Sounds like Indy to me! ;-)
If you go by the definition of Midwest.

1. Chicago ~ The biggest city in the Midwest and the third most populous city in the nation. It is a major tourism stop.

2. St. Louis ~ Yep midwest. St. Louis offers Riverboat tours, brewery tours, baseball games and a trip to the top of the Gateway Arch.

3. Cleveland ~ Cleveland has reinvented itself over the years as a tourist destination thanks to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum and other developments on the North Coast Harbor. Sports is a big draw in Cleveland. And is becoming a major convention center destination.

Now I'm not saying Indy is not going to draw Safehouse in. But Gencon is only one week a year. Where the other cities have all year draws. I know Indy has a strong convention center buis. And a strong sporting draw. But it does have competion for Safehouse.

Posted by genconkeeper

If they said Midwest then I's say Chicago. The golden Mile has become a major tourist stop and and I know several people who have gone of vacation from here. Next I'd say Disney.
Randu

Posted by gib_rebeg

I would lean with Chicago too.

If you really think about it. Safe House is actually a Speak-Easy with a spy theme overlay.

You walk into a small room, give a password to the person there, who opens a hidden door into the hidden bar. In the event of a police raid, it is equiped with secret passages to allow patrons to escape the law.

It's bones is that of a Speak-easy, and Chicago is the best renown city for prohibition era speak-easy's.

A club there could instead of being a spy theme, could do a 1930's mob style club and do well.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.