GenCon Nightlife?
Posted by bstephenson choriqueso

[This post has been removed]

Posted by jeremy6801

Sky Bar is the place to go for downtown Indy clubbing. They typically have a strong goth/industrial presence going during GenCon. It's a really good time.

The GenCon burlesque show is AWFUL.  Save your time and money. If you've done any other burlesque show ever you will be severely disappointed. The burlesque is bad, the performers are bad, and most of the time is spent trying to squeeze even more money out of you without anything worthwhile happening.  To top it all off, they cram a crapton of people into a huge room and if you don't get there super early, you will have a bad view.  Don't do it.

Posted by parisgreen

There are actually two burlesque shows at GenCon, The Glitter Guild, who perform on Thursday night (which in full disclosure, I am the producer of), and D20 Burlesque, who perform on Saturday night.  Each show has a different format and a different cast of performers.  Both are located in the 500 Ballroom, which in the past few years has been set up with a CCTV camera system and screens to help folks that have seats further away from the stage see the performance. 

My show, the Glitter Guild, also partners with Acrobatica Infiniti Circus, who debuted their show at the convention last year and I believe will be back this year.  I highly recommend them if you're looking for something a little different, entertainment-wise.  All the performers are highly trained and critically acclaimed circus performers that tour nationally.

Posted by anjakeister

Hey, following up on parisgreen's post, here are the links for the two burlesque shows if you are still interested:

Thur 10pm: The Glitter Guild Presents: An Evening of Nerdlesque Burlesque!  
Game ID: ENT1685494

Sat 9PM: D20 Burlesque's Nerdlesque Extravaganza!  
Game ID: ENT1686940

(full disclosure, I am the producer of the Saturday show)
Burlesque isn't for everyone, but if you think it would strike your fancy, each show has a different cast of performers from all over. As nerdlesque performers, we support each other and both shows are super fun. As mentioned in previous posts, they do set up a camera so even if you aren't in the front row (the past two years me and some other NYC performers were towards the back for the thursday show and still had a great time).  If you have any questions, please let me know! 

Posted by zordon

Do people actually Dance at the GenCon dance i really wanna go but from the few pictures online people are just standing around, and the few times i went to the Dance at Origins people just stood around talking which is cool but it is a dance. i went to Tin Roof they had a live band and then a DJ, the music was like radio play stuff nothing special.

Posted by rogersba choriqueso

Tappers Arcade Bar is now open! Free arcade games and cheap pinball.

https://www.facebook.com/tappersarcadebar/

Posted by remnant

@Zordon
People do dance at the dance.  The dance floor is smaller than the room so there's plenty of room to sit if you're tired, people watch, or drink.  Granted I can't guarantee they'll play something that makes you stand up and run to the dance floor because 'It's your jam'.  There's a request area though.  Hope that helps.

Posted by choriqueso

Yea... I am one of those people. I like the loud music, atmosphere and booze, but really don't do the dancing thing. Even if "My jam" came on (absurdly unlikely) I'd probably only offer a confident head nod.

Posted by choriqueso

I am really going to have to do my home work on these Burlesque shows. Looks like there's so many options we'll have to make a short list of the most interesting ones and then half that haha... Definitely looking at the Cosplay Deviant party at Blu too but I don't know if you'd call that Burlesque per se.

Posted by choriqueso rogersba

rogersba wrote:
Tappers Arcade Bar is now open! Free arcade games and cheap pinball.
https://www.facebook.com/tappersarcadebar/

Barcades are awesome. Can't imagine the crowd there during GC tho. We'll at least walk by lol.

Posted by boundkay

I'm trying to keep an ear out for kinky events in the area. Rope demos, play parties, semi public dungeons, that kinda thing.  Any leads?

Posted by choriqueso boundkay

boundkay wrote:
I'm trying to keep an ear out for kinky events in the area. Rope demos, play parties, semi public dungeons, that kinda thing.  Any leads?

Definitely update if anything interesting comes along.

Posted by loon boundkay

boundkay wrote:
I think there are other websites that might have better info for that than this one...

Posted by roundtop

There are websites, and most of us know them.. but I'll mention I did find a rope bondage class in the GC schedule.  That might lead you to some more local stuff going on (and I'm sure that after that class (I think it was 10pm and 11pm) that there will be some, *ahem*, afterparties).

Posted by parody

At the very least this thread may need to be marked Mature (18+) and Expert (You play it regularly and know all the rules). :)

Posted by remnant choriqueso

tacobus wrote:
I am really going to have to do my home work on these Burlesque shows. Looks like there's so many options we'll have to make a short list of the most interesting ones and then half that haha... Definitely looking at the Cosplay Deviant party at Blu too but I don't know if you'd call that Burlesque per se.
Didn't see any of the $10 tickets this year (I think you could have paid $10 at the door also last two years).  Should be interesting I hope for $30 VIP ticket.

Posted by choriqueso

Oooooooooooook... I think we've worked it out. We're doing Glitter Guild Thursday, Nerd Circus/Puppet Slam Friday, and D20/GC Dance/Deviant party Saturday.

About the Cosplay Deviant party... do any of you have experience from previous years CosDev parties? It looks like there will be overlap between this and the GenCon Dance. If I had to pick between the two it would be the GC Dance but I don't see any harm in going to both as long as it's worth the visit.

From the few videos I've seen it looks like it will be reaaaaaaaaaaaaal jersey shorey... anyone know what we can expect when CosDev takes over? Will there really be entertainment or will it just be an expensive packed bar?

Thanks!

Posted by wiedemnm choriqueso

tacobus wrote:
Oooooooooooook... I think we've worked it out. We're doing Glitter Guild Thursday, Nerd Circus/Puppet Slam Friday, and D20/GC Dance/Deviant party Saturday.
About the Cosplay Deviant party... do any of you have experience from previous years CosDev parties? It looks like there will be overlap between this and the GenCon Dance. If I had to pick between the two it would be the GC Dance but I don't see any harm in going to both as long as it's worth the visit.
From the few videos I've seen it looks like it will be reaaaaaaaaaaaaal jersey shorey... anyone know what we can expect when CosDev takes over? Will there really be entertainment or will it just be an expensive packed bar?
Thanks!
Expensive packed bar. There's a VIP area that might be better, but it really is just a bar packed full of dudes. I will say they had a giant long island that was easily worth the $10 price tag at the bar last year. I always end up at the Sky Bar, Taps and Dolls building on Saturday. $5 cover gets you access to three bars in the building. Top floor has a couple dance floors, middle level has two smaller ones and a pretty efficent bar. More of a "normal crowd" than Gen Con influenced, but I get drunk and dance.

I have been to the Gen Con dance on Saturday before and it's an OK time. Make sure to have drinks beforehand because the line for the bar is ridiculous and the drinks overpriced. I prefer to go upstairs and people watch for a bit, then maybe hit the dance floor if I'm liking the DJ. Music can be hit or miss year to year.

Posted by choriqueso wiedemnm

wiedemnm wrote:
tacobus wrote:
Thanks!
Expensive packed bar. There's a VIP area that might be better, but it really is just a bar packed full of dudes. I will say they had a giant long island that was easily worth the $10 price tag at the bar last year. I always end up at the Sky Bar, Taps and Dolls building on Saturday. $5 cover gets you access to three bars in the building. Top floor has a couple dance floors, middle level has two smaller ones and a pretty efficent bar. More of a "normal crowd" than Gen Con influenced, but I get drunk and dance.I have been to the Gen Con dance on Saturday before and it's an OK time. Make sure to have drinks beforehand because the line for the bar is ridiculous and the drinks overpriced. I prefer to go upstairs and people watch for a bit, then maybe hit the dance floor if I'm liking the DJ. Music can be hit or miss year to year.

THANK YOU for this. You've confirmed my suspicion. I think we'll pass and spend the 60 dollars on something else!

Posted by melkor

The Slippery Noodle for good blues and Blues Rock. Not too far from the Con center either.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.