Best Non-Airport Hotels
Posted by dreamchipper

OK let's face it, a great number of us are going to have to settle for an airport hotel as demand for downtown rises. So what's the best place to say if you didn't win the hotel lottery?

* serious thread, if you're not going if you don't get a downtown hotel, then no need to reply. Thanks!

Posted by marimaccadmin

I think a good place to consider would be off the Southport exit; so look for hotels on/near Southport rd.  That's only about a 15 minute drive from downtown, maybe 12 minutes; there's a LOT of amenities there including a nice 24 hours Meijer (like a super walmart), and plenty of places to eat, and looking right now, I see several hotels there under $100 a night, so I think that might be a good way to go.

Posted by suburbaknght

When I've stayed at remote hotels, I've always just gone for the cheapest option and I've never had a bad experience.  The fact is, I don't go to Gen Con to stay at the hotel and so it's largely a place for me to sleep and leave stuff (serves a bit more of a purpose now that I'm running events and have a crew, but that's another discussion).  If that's all you're using it for, you'll be fine wherever you go.

Posted by wiles01

Why not an airport hotel?

Couple years ago our group just decided to not fight tooth and nail to get a downtown hotel.  We get one of the nicer hotels by the airport.

Got a 2 bedroom King Suite for 4 nights for the same price some people are paying for 1 night downtown.  Plus the place we stay has a conference room that is usually not in use when we are staying and we use that room for gaming.  Drive to the ICC is only about 8 minutes and we get decent parking at the lot right across from the convention center.

Posted by jchamlin wiles01

wiles01 wrote:
Why not an airport hotel?
Couple years ago our group just decided to not fight tooth and nail to get a downtown hotel.  We get one of the nicer hotels by the airport.
Got a 2 bedroom King Suite for 4 nights for the same price some people are paying for 1 night downtown.  Plus the place we stay has a conference room that is usually not in use when we are staying and we use that room for gaming.  Drive to the ICC is only about 8 minutes and we get decent parking at the lot right across from the convention center.
Which hotel (that has 2 bedroom king suites) did you stay at?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.