No more Downtown rooms at 1 hour mark
Posted by desparks

Well I saw 1 available downtown room, added it to the cart and it disappeared.  Guess I did something wrong.  Went back to search and no more left.  I had a 1 hour start time.

Posted by marimaccadmin

I don't know, maybe you were looking for a larger room, but there are still even downtown rooms available.

Posted by sarena

There's 100% no downtown rooms available right now.

Posted by citizenluke

I had an hour and 4 minute start time. No downtown rooms left.
That's ok. We got a much cheaper room with better accomodations and just have to drive in 25 minutes. We've done it before and we had a blast. 
GENCON OR BUST!!!!

Posted by bluesky

No downtowns left, only Wednesday nights available from what I could tell.

Got one 7 mile drive away though!

Posted by nikdo

Posted by deanernet1

This is insane. Stayed in the 'burbs last time and had a hell of time getting in and out each day. The shuttle service was poor and left me stranded multipkle times. What is the process to get on a wating list? I may have to cancel if I can't get something downtown. There are 6793 rooms within walking distance of the convenstion center and your telling me they were all gone within an hour? 

Posted by varuth

Got a King at the Omni Downtown at 1:30 - W-Su

Posted by hawkeye deanernet1

deanernet1 wrote:
This is insane. Stayed in the 'burbs last time and had a hell of time getting in and out each day. The shuttle service was poor and left me stranded multipkle times. What is the process to get on a wating list? I may have to cancel if I can't get something downtown. There are 6793 rooms within walking distance of the convenstion center and your telling me they were all gone within an hour? 
not all of those rooms are in the Gen Con housing block. Our group got split up. We have 3 downtown rooms and one out by the airport. One of the rooms has in / out privildges with parking, so the people taking the airport room can drive in and have a parking spot. not the end of the world.

Posted by marzulloj

Got a King at JW at 1:30 wed-sun. I had to refresh the search for a while and then quickly click through to get it before someone else. 

Posted by stannis

All I can say is that if you have the extra money you might want to look into booking a room through Orbitz or some other site for next year a month or two after the convention.  You can still cancel if you win the "lottery" but at least you have a fallback.

I'd feel better if I knew I was losing out to people who were 15-20 year badgeholders but I know that there's a bunch of people who just started going that are getting the pick of the litter. Way to reward loyalty Gencon 

Posted by firvulag

I got a King at JW Marriott at the 50 minute mark.  Not ideal, but I'll take it at half the price of my king at  Embassy Suites.  Best luck I've EVER had with the Gencon hotel system personally.  Much more stable than in the past.

Posted by firvulag stannis

stannis wrote:
All I can say is that if you have the extra money you might want to look into booking a room through Orbitz or some other site for next year a month or two after the convention.  You can still cancel if you win the "lottery" but at least you have a fallback.
I'd feel better if I knew I was losing out to people who were 15-20 year badgeholders but I know that there's a bunch of people who just started going that are getting the pick of the litter. Way to reward loyalty Gencon 
Oh yes I do this EVERY year.  Usually in August.  The problem is that the hotels are starting to "block off" more and more rooms and they're waiting later and later before you can start pre booking your room.  This year I believe it was October before I could actually reserve rooms at the Embassy Suites and most types were unavailable for my dates (being pre locked for GenCon).

But yes this is a pro tip that most of us who've gone to GenCon a few times are well aware of.

Posted by stannis

By the way I wouldn't even bother if you want downtown. My time just came up and I decided to look just for the heck of it...closest hotel is 10 miles away.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.