Ease of hailing a cab?
Posted by lore seeker

This GenCon will be the first one in which I'm not staying at a hotel blocks away from the ICC. Instead, I'm staying at the Sleep Inn, which is only 2 miles away and still marketed as a downtown hotel.

My question: how easy is it to hail a cab that far out from the ICC? Am I going to have to schedule things in advance, or is it easy to just hail one as needed?

Posted by jmenard

We used Uber last year with great success. We were in a hotel out by the airport. We only had issues one morning because the one Uber driver at the airport at this particular time didn't want to pick us up at first but it ended up working out. Other than that we had zero problems getting around using Uber, both to and from the convention center as well as around downtown for dinner and such.

Posted by lore seeker

Eh, I'd rather not use Uber.

Posted by bigfathairyguy

In Indy your best bet is to use uber. You can probably find a cab to drive you back to your hotel but from your hotel to ICC you will have to call and wait for one. Closest places from where you are staying that you might be able to hail one is Riley or Methodist. An uber is going to be a lot faster, a lot cleaner and a lot cheaper.

Posted by rodoubleb

Calling is a good option when cabs are not visible on the streets.    It should be easy, but I would call ahead.   Tons of cabs in Indy.   You'll probably have to call even from downtown if it's a crazy late night or early morning.  Any respectable hotel will be happy to call one for you.  

Posted by marimaccadmin

Uber is super easy, but if you don't want to do that, to get from the ICC to your hotel, you can go to the front of most downtown hotels, which have a taxi stand; a particularly good one is in front of the downtown Mariott.  You can't really hail a cab downtown, but you can go to a taxi stand.  From your hotel, the hotel should have the number you can call for a cab.

Posted by cptmusket

Out of curiosity, how much does Uber usually run?  I am staying out in the Baymont Inn south area and will be driving in.  If an Uber to and from is similar or slightly more than parking each day, I might do that.  Seems like it could be less of a hassle.  Also, can you request an Uber for a larger group?  There are 5 of us, so we would need a van/suv.

Posted by bigfathairyguy

Estimated fee  for UberXL is $22-$29 each way. You are about 10 miles away thus the high cost. Guy coming from the sleep inn would be $8 to $11. All that is for a group up to 6. 

Posted by wiedemnm bigfathairyguy

franknbeans wrote:
Estimated fee  for UberXL is $22-$29 each way. You are about 10 miles away thus the high cost. Guy coming from the sleep inn would be $8 to $11. All that is for a group up to 6. 
Good to know. My group is about five miles out so even if we have to depart room and convention separately it shouldn't be that bad.

Posted by timbery30

I had no trouble finding cabs last year. There are often cabs waiting outside of the north side of the convention center. So if you don't want to do Uber, you can usually find cabs there. One trick to remember is that you can get a cabbie's name and number and they will become your cabbie for the convention - if you need them, you can call and they will be there. So if you are cabbing it, keep that in mind - if you like your cabbie, get their contact info! :) I hope that helps!

Posted by lore seeker timbery30

timbery30 wrote:
One trick to remember is that you can get a cabbie's name and number and they will become your cabbie for the convention - if you need them, you can call and they will be there. So if you are cabbing it, keep that in mind - if you like your cabbie, get their contact info! :) I hope that helps!

Thanks! I didn't realize you could do that.

Posted by colin1012

Seconding the use of Uber. Never used them in Indy but they have worked out fairly well for me in the past. I checked the Cab rate from my Hotel to the ICC and came up with about $30. UberX will get me there for around $13.

Posted by mhayward1978

Lyft is also active in Indianapolis if you don't like Uber's corporate persona for some reason.

Posted by rayken

Uber's are the new cabs. Cabs are essentially being phased out. Any gripes or concerns you may have with Uber should be dealt with sooner rather than later as Uber takes over.

Posted by genconkeeper

If one needs a cab all you need do is go to he entrance of any of the hotels surrounding the ICC. They are lined up there 24/7.
Randu

Posted by lore seeker genconkeeper

genconkeeper wrote:
If one needs a cab all you need do is go to he entrance of any of the hotels surrounding the ICC. They are lined up there 24/7.
Randu

That'll be good for heading back to my hotel. Sounds like I'll have to arrange ahead of time for going to the ICC though.

Posted by genconkeeper

Transportation to the ICC again I too will recommend Uber. That's how I get to the ICC after I leave my car at home. Been doing it for a couple years now.
Randu

Posted by brotherbock genconkeeper

genconkeeper wrote:
Transportation to the ICC again I too will recommend Uber. That's how I get to the ICC after I leave my car at home. Been doing it for a couple years now.
Randu

All these helpful comments, Randy. You're a real Uber mensch :p

Posted by susan1906

You know I think it would be cool to set up some kind of ride/share situation.  I know we will be driving back and forth from our hotel every day of the con, so it really wouldn't be a big deal to pick up a couple of people on our way and if they can share a bit of $ for parking that is just a bonus.  Or could offer us a ride in exchange so wouldn't have to pay for parking every day. Just a thought.

Posted by thag13

I used cabs a lot last year due to a foot injury.  I was at the Sheridan and I was paying about 8 to 12 dollars a ride, and that was for as many as 5 folks.

I will use a cab this year at least to get my Thursday swag back to my hotel. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.