Insane Attendance this Year?
Posted by perram

Gen Con is going to be insane... the housing portal usually starts to show a lot extra rooms about now. As people give them up. But now... even the furthest out of the way hotels have all been booked instead. Twice now I've checked the portal and ZERO rooms were available. Right now only 2~4 of the farther out hotels have rooms again.70,000+? Will we even be able to walk around? Is parking going to become the new hotel rush?

Posted by divachelle

Maybe they'll start dropping rooms after the events open. I'm doubly glad I booked early for our room!

Posted by indy418

We always get a hotel further away (like a 15 min drive). Parking hasn't been an issue, though we park at 9am and don't go back to the car until we're ready to go back to the hotel at the end of the day. Hopefully, parking will be decent again this year, though a bit pricey. 

Posted by mattaui

I haven't been in years and so I was a bit surprised myself. I had to book through Expedia for an outlying hotel since the ones that had been left in the block were equally as far out but about 50% more expensive. Hoping I can manage with taxi, bus and uber while I'm there.

Posted by brotherbock

Ugh. I'm already starting to get grumpy about the possibility of even more people this year. 

Posted by lore seeker

Makes me glad I was able to go outside the block.

Posted by mhayward1978 perram

perram wrote:
Gen Con is going to be insane... the housing portal usually starts to show a lot extra rooms about now. As people give them up. But now... even the furthest out of the way hotels have all been booked instead. Twice now I've checked the portal and ZERO rooms were available. Right now only 2~4 of the farther out hotels have rooms again.70,000+? Will we even be able to walk around? Is parking going to become the new hotel rush?

I think there is something wrong with your search.

The housing portal shows me availability in:

Hilton Downtown - 3 blocks from the con!

Also: 3 other hotels on the outskirts.

Maybe you are trying to book a combination of days that is not permitted - some of the hotels required a multi night stay in order to book Friday or Saturday.

Posted by lore seeker

That Downtown Hilton room is a very recent development - within the last hour or so, I think.

Posted by perram

Yeah, there are more opening up now that the events have passed. I guess some people are canceling if they didn't get the events they wanted.

Posted by frinn

Last year parking was crazy.  I almost bought a parking spot downtown for the month of August.  Decided not to spend 200 bucks that way.  

Posted by adzumi

The past three years I make room reservations a couple days after the end of Gencon that year. Been working very well! :-)

Posted by lore seeker adzumi

sora wrote:
The past three years I make room reservations a couple days after the end of Gencon that year. Been working very well! :-)

Have you managed to get reasonable prices when doing that?

Every time I've tried going that route, the hotel websites say "No rooms are available for this time period" or something like that.

Posted by brotherbock lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
sora wrote:

Have you managed to get reasonable prices when doing that?Every time I've tried going that route, the hotel websites say "No rooms are available for this time period" or something like that.

Most hotels don't have their room scheduling for gencon open until October or November anymore. It's been going that way more and more as more and more hotels get bought up by the same companies. 

Posted by irrg

after 2014, we booked in august for 2015. After 2015, we couldn't get a room in the same hotel ("no rooms available for this period") and couldn't grab a non-block room until October. No me gusta.

Posted by daveculp irrg

irrg wrote:
after 2014, we booked in august for 2015. After 2015, we couldn't get a room in the same hotel ("no rooms available for this period") and couldn't grab a non-block room until October. No me gusta.

That was kind of the "break over year".  Before 2015 I could always make a cheap reservation downtown sometime after Gen Con ended.  Now, nearly everything lists "no rooms available for this period".  The hotels have gotten wise and give most of their rooms to the Gen Con block and those they dont, they jack the rates way up.  

I was lucky, I found a room at the Embassy Suites downtown for cheaper than the Gen Con rate with hot breakfast and WiFi.  However, in order to get the room I had to book it Saturday - Sunday.  We use Gen Con as a family vacation and come in and go to the zoo, Childrens museums and other things prior.

Posted by bith daveculp

daveculp wrote:
irrg wrote:

That was kind of the "break over year".  Before 2015 I could always make a cheap reservation downtown sometime after Gen Con ended.  Now, nearly everything lists "no rooms available for this period".  The hotels have gotten wise and give most of their rooms to the Gen Con block and those they dont, they jack the rates way up.  I was lucky, I found a room at the Embassy Suites downtown for cheaper than the Gen Con rate with hot breakfast and WiFi.  However, in order to get the room I had to book it Saturday - Sunday.  We use Gen Con as a family vacation and come in and go to the zoo, Childrens museums and other things prior.

I think it's less the hotels that have gotten wise, and more the attendees.  Hotels don't really have any incentive to give extra room to the GenCon block, it means less profit for the room.  I don't recall what their incentive for assigning rooms to the block is, but I'm sure there is one [and if I recall it's a block for *all* conventions, not just GenCon.]

The real part where "people got wise" is that attendees started to realize this, and actively monitor when the various hotel chains open up their booking.  Since we know when GenCon is going to be for the next X years, we can book the day the hotels open and not wait until the day GenCon opens their block.  My wife and I have had our LaQuinta rooms booked since 1 year before this coming GenCon since they open booking a year ahead of the date you want to book for.  Other hotels have other dates (but it's usually either 1 year or 9 months).

This year LaQuinta, which is still not part of the block at all, was completely booked up either the day they opened for bookings, or the next day.  And that has nothing to do with the block.

Posted by daveculp

I am not so sure, I check all the time and often, in fact almost daily after Gen Con ends.  A few hotels do have openings, such as the La Quinta as they are not part of the Gen Con room block and off of most people radar as it is a bit of a walk.  But nearly everything that is in the block downtown shows no openings and never showed openings (I check nearly everyday).  I was able to get a La Quinta reservation back in September but gave it up for the Embassy reservation. 

Another example - The Embassy was showing no openings when I was looking.  However, if I stretched my stay out to 8 days they magically had openings.  Many hotels will start showing openings as we get closer but for exorbitant prices.  I remember the Fairfield having rooms for something like $600/night last year or the year before. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.