Shoes, trainers, flipflops or sandles?
1
1
Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

So for footware, which do you go with!

Normal
Small
Posted by bakermouse10133

Converse, with gel inserts. Wonder Woman hightops, or my broken in lowtops (depends on if the weather is bad- dont want to ruin the WW).  

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

running shoes with inserts.

Boots are too heavy by the end of the day (light hikers are ok).
Flip flops you will get your toes stepped on
Sandals are ok for a couple hours, then welcome to blister city.
Heels are right out.
Klogs are fun but heavy.
Tap shoes are an inspired choice, but don't make sound all the time.
Clown shoes are always a big hit at parties.

Normal
Small
Posted by brotherbock

Going with my Vasque hiker slash adventure shoe this year. Super comfortable, understated. And all my running shoes are actually not very comfy for standing around in, oddly enough. 

Sandals are horribly uncomfortable to me. Flip-flops...just no. Because I hate them. 

Normal
Small
Posted by aldctjoc roundtop

roundtop wrote:Clown shoes are always a big hit at parties.

I was just gonna go with my walking shoes, but damn... great new idea! :D

Normal
Small
Posted by jmiller1138

I'll probably go with my running shoes, shoes i wear to the gym, at the convention center, and change into my casual low tops for any nighttime activities.  Also i will bring almost 3x the number of socks I would normally wear so I can change if i need to.

Normal
Small
Posted by glory

Sanuk yoga mat flip flops with the sling. Super comfort - there is no better shoe. 

My chucks tore my feet up two years ago. So now I go with the Sanuk's. 

Normal
Small
Posted by jhs

Keep in mind some of the gaming rooms can be pretty cool.  I avoid sandals for that reason.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

I actually like it when its somewhat cold on the feet.  makes it less likely they will get stinky!

Normal
Small
Posted by bugwar jhs

jhs wrote:
Keep in mind some of the gaming rooms can be pretty cool.  I avoid sandals for that reason.

Cool as in wear socks, or COOL as in bring a parka?

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Cool as in wear socks and have a sweatshirt in your bag.

I wore flip flops one time a number of years ago while walking around the dealer hall.  Bad idea.  Not only did my feet hurt like crazy from lack of support but my feet got stepped on a lot.  I wear running/athletic shoes the whole time.  Inserts also help.

Normal
Small
Posted by ploveking

 I often want to wear combat boots, but the last two years I have gone with new cross-training shoes. Double duty as that's what I need for my regular gym activities anyway, and they are easier on my back than anything else. Finding good combat boots is a crapshoot these days, as the brands I used to trust have completely collapsed in terms of quality, maybe when I find a good pair of boots I will be able to go back to that approach, but for now its sneakers.

 Footwear is a personal thing, based on your body and your feets. The constant is that you should expect to cover a lot of ground, on pavement and hard floors. It will be warm or hot outside and may be chilly indoors. And, considering the nature of the event, you are likely to be dealing with crowds. Wear something that works for you, or the discomfort will catch up with you, and impact your enjoyment of the event.

Normal
Small
Posted by microwench

Good athletic shoes with good arch supports.  My feet will still hurt, but it will take longer and hurt less with good shoes.  Flip flops are a heck no; no support and I guarantee your feet will get stepped on. I *may* bring flip flops for evening events (when I will be parking my tush in one place) but I'm still not sure it's worth taking up space in my bag.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal ploveking

ploveking wrote:
 I often want to wear combat boots, but the last two years I have gone with new cross-training shoes. Double duty as that's what I need for my regular gym activities anyway, and they are easier on my back than anything else. Finding good combat boots is a crapshoot these days, as the brands I used to trust have completely collapsed in terms of quality, maybe when I find a good pair of boots I will be able to go back to that approach, but for now its sneakers.

What brands have you tried for combat boots?

Normal
Small
Posted by quarex

As someone who has apparently been 70 years old forever as far as style is concerned, I have exclusively worn shoes like this since I was about 14:

https://sasshoes.com/men/men-footwear/mens-bout-time-cordovan

Comfortable for endless walking OR playing shuffleboard at the retirement home!

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

For almost 200 bucks a pair, they BETTER be comfortable..

Normal
Small
Posted by criticalcantrip (cc)

Speaking of types of shoe -- don't discount age! 

3 uses a week, 3 miles a use, over 6 months, is 216 miles of use on sneakers or gym shoes.  If you use your gym shoes around town, you're adding more miles. Walking dog, grocery shopping, miles miles miles. 

500 miles is the life of the average shoe. Much less if you are overweight. 

Even if your shoes are okay consider your inserts. if you use inserts, like Super Feet, those are going to die earlier than your shoes will. Those are rated for half a year or 250 miles (if you are not over weight). 

I did Gencon 2014 on dead insoles, and by day two I knew something was wrong. My back, legs, shoulders -- all fine. My FEET felt like I had bathed them in Mount Doom, all day, every day, and for two days after con.

Insoles worn out as F. 

Normal
Small
Posted by quarex garhkal

garhkal wrote:For almost 200 bucks a pair, they BETTER be comfortable..
Haha!  Yeah, fair.  Though last time I got new ones they were "only" about $125.  It was a slow progression.  I found out my shoe size is "off the charts narrow," and this company made the narrowest shoe I could find that also was high-enough quality that I would rarely have to replace them.  So I went from thinking $20 was too much to pay for shoes to being like "well...at least my feet do not slip sideways every 10 steps when walking in these."

And now you know Too Much About My Shoes(tm)!

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone ploveking


 Footwear is a personal thing, based on your body and your feets. The constant is that you should expect to cover a lot of ground, on pavement and hard floors. It will be warm or hot outside and may be chilly indoors. And, considering the nature of the event, you are likely to be dealing with crowds. Wear something that works for you, or the discomfort will catch up with you, and impact your enjoyment of the event.

This is truth, so it's difficult to make specific recommendations besides no dress shoes. I know people who are perfectly happy in combat boots all day, and I've done sandals before without any problems except my feet getting cold in the AC. I now go with close-toed shoes (besides the AC, nothing worse than getting your feet stepped or having something spilled on them) and if you're wearing athletic-style shoes, go with walkers or x-trainers as opposed to running shoes if you can. If you're not used to standing for long periods of time, I would practice doing that a week or two beforehand...no matter how comfortable your shoes, you're going to hurt after standing/walking all day if your body isn't accustomed to it.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal criticalcantrip (cc)

kaliena wrote:
Speaking of types of shoe -- don't discount age! 
3 uses a week, 3 miles a use, over 6 months, is 216 miles of use on sneakers or gym shoes.  If you use your gym shoes around town, you're adding more miles. Walking dog, grocery shopping, miles miles miles. 
500 miles is the life of the average shoe. Much less if you are overweight. 
Even if your shoes are okay consider your inserts. if you use inserts, like Super Feet, those are going to die earlier than your shoes will. Those are rated for half a year or 250 miles (if you are not over weight). 
I did Gencon 2014 on dead insoles, and by day two I knew something was wrong. My back, legs, shoulders -- all fine. My FEET felt like I had bathed them in Mount Doom, all day, every day, and for two days after con.
Insoles worn out as F. 

That is true.  And if you buy a new pair, BREAK THEM IN for at least a week of walking before going to the con, if not a month...

 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1
1