Thinking of going to GenCon in 2018 or 2019, what were badge prices?
Posted by awyldknght

A friend & I were just talking about trying to go to GenCon so we can say we've been to one. I know GenCon 2017 just ended, but I can't seem to find any information right now on what the cost of the Badges were for this year. Just wanting to have an idea on what to expect when pre-registration opens up next year.

Posted by dukejohn

A four-day badge was $90 this year, plus some fees and taxes (about $9, I believe).

Posted by awyldknght

Thank you dukejohn. Do you know about how quickly the 4-day badges sell out? I know 2017 was a special one, but would also like an idea of how quick we would have to be to get the badges. I know with the PAX West, if you don't have them right when they open up registration, you are pretty much not going to get one.

Posted by dukejohn

Yes, 2017 was a special milestone (50 years), but even at that, the four-day badges didn't sell out until early July. Will we see similar attendance for 2018/19? It's possible, but my gut says we'll stay flat or maybe even retract slightly.

If history holds, badges will go on sale in the second half of January. You should be fine as long as you purchase in the first couple months (though if you want a hotel, you will want to get your badges right away, because hotels will go live not long after badges go up for sale, and you need one to reserve a hotel). In any case, I wouldn't dally too long in getting a badge; this year being a sellout, it may motivate more attendees to buy early.

Hope this helps.

-Jason

Posted by matthias9 dukejohn

dukejohn wrote:
Yes, 2017 was a special milestone (50 years), but even at that, the four-day badges didn't sell out until early July. Will we see similar attendance for 2018/19? It's possible, but my gut says we'll stay flat or maybe even retract slightly.

You should be fine as long as you purchase in the first couple months (though if you want a hotel, you will want to get your badges right away, because hotels will go live not long after badges go up for sale, and you need one to reserve a hotel). In any case, I wouldn't dally too long in getting a badge; this year being a sellout, it may motivate more attendees to buy early.
Hope this helps.
-Jason

This was the first year that badges sold out at all, so it is hard to know.

My own bet is sort of the opposite.  I think badges will sell out faster in year 51 than year 50.  I have two reasons:

1)  Attendance has been 60,000 or so for each of the last 3 years. This year might have gone much higher, but for that fact that it sold out.  I suspect that on site purchases would have pushed it much higher.

2)  People haven't been worried about a sell out -- because it hadn't happened before and most probably didn't even think it COULD happen.  I suspect this would put Fear Of Missing Out into people and they will buy earlier. 

Posted by andrewj.rager

Basically pay attention to Gen Con's website and forum at the start of the year. Buy your badges when they go on sale late January. Housing opens mid February, Events go live May-ish I think. Do those, you should be fine. Probably only 140-ish days until badge sales. Get Hyped!

Posted by braewe matthias9

I think you might be right...which actually might start the spiral. 

Year one of sellout..badges last until June. 

Year two: people worry about a sellout and buy early. Badges sell out in March.

Year three: people are getting serious now. Badges sell out in February. 

Year four: there is downright alarm in the attendee mindset. Badges sell out the day they go on sale.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.