Selling MTG cards
Posted by r.shaina

Hi, 
I’m wondering if anyone can enlighten me on selling Magic cards at Gen Con. Will they buy all cards or only a selection? Is it for cash or credit? Is it worth it? 

I havent played for several years so I know most of the cards I have probably aren’t current. 

Thanks! 

Posted by zhycalui

So, you have a couple of options.

Number One: Look up the vendors that will be there and see if they have a website or potentially buylists, that will give you an idea of what you could get in either credit or cash

Two: You could always take them to your local game store, just do the research before hand so you know the worth

Three: In all seriousness, depending on the cards, I might be interested in them.  :)  Just let me know what you've got.

Posted by quarex

Four: Depending on how determined you are to get a certain amount for them, you could put them in the Auction, as one lot or a few different lots (maybe single cards for particularly valuable ones if relevant, but it does not sound like you are too sure as to their value).  You could definitely get something for them, and depending on when exactly you played, maybe a lot more than something.

Posted by zhycalui quarex

quarex wrote:
Four: Depending on how determined you are to get a certain amount for them, you could put them in the Auction, as one lot or a few different lots (maybe single cards for particularly valuable ones if relevant, but it does not sound like you are too sure as to their value).  You could definitely get something for them, and depending on when exactly you played, maybe a lot more than something.
Ohh, totally forgot about that option~

Posted by sirmcd72

I paid for my entire trip with 7 cards last time I went. You could definitely get more money but they’re pretty fair.  Cash on the spot 

Posted by sirmcd72

Just go to one of the vendors

Posted by averymelendez

As far as I know, sometimes you can play fantasy mini-games, like online solitaire as an example. That's how I ran into MTG cards.

Posted by tamialeach

[This post has been removed]

Posted by owenroberts

[This post has been removed]

Posted by lanogironu

This got bumped with the removed comments but as a note from someone who generally pays for all my expenses with MTG cards: 

1. Make sure to have a rough idea the value of what you're selling
  2. A lot of vendors now like to do the "what do you want for them" trick to catch people who didn't do #1 (had a friend sell a huge stack of excess rare lands and they did this to try going way low on price but he didn't do #1 and mostly went with it to be fast)
  3. The larger vendors (tcg if there, scg, coolstuff) will buy more than smaller shop vendors (hot sauce, troll n toad, prodigy, etc) who may only care about their buy list
  4. Most won't buy anything, they don't care about your commons 
  5. Similarly only the big vendors will pay anything reasonable for something very pricey 
  6. If it's there again, tcg with their scanners is the fastest and fairest option, you're getting a % of their buy price period, which IMO is better than the guy just sitting there looking at a card and putting it in the $5 pile
  7. Sell older cards early in the weekend, Saturday you're likely to get stuck behind the dudes bringing 6000 card boxes for some crazy reason 
  8. If there is a big pre-release or promo like they did 50th anniversary, those new cards may sell at a premium that day (I remember cashing $15-20 for Nightpack Ambushers when GenCon was the first time anyone could open any. Card plummeted soon after)
  9. Don't be guy from #7, it's annoying to people waiting for you to take an hour. 
  10. To add to #1, don't  have like hand them an itemized list or haggle on every card, that's lame, but do keep an eye out for low balls (especially if they're eye balling cards, guy at Hot Sauce 2 years ago tried to offer me $8 for a mint full art foil MH Cabal Coffers when it was selling in the $60s and when I said something he got all defensive like "take it or leave" so I took everything and sold to CoolStuff for nearly double his offers)

Posted by mermaid_princess

I’ve seen collections that include 40+ dual lands go for $100 

You Need To Know What You Have. 

No hate, it’s a business, but oof. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.