Places Gen Con should NOT move to
Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn?

I've seen the traditional "Hotels Are Full - Gen Con Should Move Immediately" threads, with the usual suggestions of locations and the usual arguments against them, and it got me thinking of all of the places which could host Gen Con, but really shouldn't.

For the adventurous; Black Rock City, Nevada, site of Burning Man.

• There's easily enough space for everyone to be within a mile or so of the centre of the action
  • Hotel bookings won't be a problem, because there aren't any
  • The issue of getting rooms in the same hotel becomes a simple matter of setting up your tent next to your friends tent
  • No risk of being on the same weekend as the Moto GP or a One Direction concert

On the downside, no Starbucks.
Or Scotty's.
Or electricity.

Alternatively, how about Detroit?

• A huge amount of very affordable housing; For the cost of a couple of nights in a downtown Indy hotel, you can get a whole house
  • As a city, they need the money, so Gen Con could probably get a good deal

Posted by wjpennington

Flint Michigan? I here they'll work us a cheap rate for the water fountains.

Posted by brotherbock

I vote for not here.

Or here.

Posted by loon

Pyongyang

Posted by suburbaknght

Lake Geneva.

Posted by tdb

Pripyat, Ukraine.  Though admittedly the hotels are really cheap.  Just watch out for the radioactive wolves! :-)

Posted by vickers1

Alexandria

Posted by kevinj4

LOL - though I enjoy the opportunity to make some funny suggestions, I will do my best to offer my suggestions.

Where not to put GenCon?

1. Vegas - it would be very hard for many to drive to.  I know that you can fly but with baggage costs, it would really affect the dealer hall.
2. Extremes of either the East Coast or West Coast - unless the plan to do 2 GenCons a year, having the convention on either coast becomes an issue for a lot of people.  Perhaps PAX has the right idea?
3.  Anywhere where there isn't sufficient hotel, parking and transit to accomodate the movement of attendees.

Posted by kevinj4

LOL - though I enjoy the opportunity to make some funny suggestions, I will do my best to offer my suggestions.

Where not to put GenCon?

1. Vegas - it would be very hard for many to drive to.  I know that you can fly but with baggage costs, it would really affect the dealer hall.
2. Extremes of either the East Coast or West Coast - unless the plan to do 2 GenCons a year, having the convention on either coast becomes an issue for a lot of people.  Perhaps PAX has the right idea?
3.  Anywhere where there isn't sufficient hotel, parking and transit to accomodate the movement of attendees.

Posted by brotherbock kevinj4

kevinj4 wrote:
Where not to put GenCon?

Vegas is a bad idea, I agree. Mostly though because I think it's an ecological disaster of a city that we'd be better off without. 

Now Perfection, Nevada...thats a different story. Nice town, friendly people. A little geographically isolated. But it's an exciting place. 

Posted by rutherfordr

Anywhere in or around Seattle.

Posted by garhkal

Let's not move to the moon, ok!

Posted by brotherbock garhkal

garhkal wrote:
Let's not move to the moon, ok!

Indianapolis...that's no moon!

New Post Sign in to write a new post.