I've seen the traditional "Hotels Are Full - Gen Con Should Move Immediately" threads, with the usual suggestions of locations and the usual arguments against them, and it got me thinking of all of the places which could host Gen Con, but really shouldn't.
For the adventurous; Black Rock City, Nevada, site of Burning Man.
- There's easily enough space for everyone to be within a mile or so of the centre of the action
- Hotel bookings won't be a problem, because there aren't any
- The issue of getting rooms in the same hotel becomes a simple matter of setting up your tent next to your friends tent
- No risk of being on the same weekend as the Moto GP or a One Direction concert
On the downside, no Starbucks.
Alternatively, how about Detroit?
- A huge amount of very affordable housing; For the cost of a couple of nights in a downtown Indy hotel, you can get a whole house
- As a city, they need the money, so Gen Con could probably get a good deal