Total Solar Eclipse - August 2017
1 3
1 3
Posted by austicke

Did you know that a total eclipse of the sun occurs on Monday, August 21, 2017? Did you know that it’s the first total solar eclipse within the contiguous United States since 1979? Did you know that’s the day after Gen Con Indy 2017? Indianapolis will see a 90% partial eclipse but traveling a couple hundred miles south will offer views of the total eclipse for over 2 minutes.

I plan on heading to Nashville after Gen Con 2017 to see it. Who else has plans?

Posted by brotherbock austicke

austicke wrote:
Did you know that a total eclipse of the sun occurs on Monday, August 21, 2017? Did you know that it’s the first total solar eclipse within the contiguous United States since 1979? Did you know that’s the day after Gen Con Indy 2017? Indianapolis will see a 90% partial eclipse but traveling a couple hundred miles south will offer views of the total eclipse for over 2 minutes.
I plan on heading to Nashville after Gen Con 2017 to see it. Who else has plans?

I'm incredibly upset that the sun didn't have the courtesy of eclipsing during Gen Con. I completely would have worked that into a LARP plot.

Thanks, sun! >:|

Posted by vickers1

It seems you are having a total eclipes of the heart.

Posted by brotherbock

I'm not sure, I just keep waiting to find out and typing those little periods to indicate my impatience......................

(aka a total elipses of the heart)

Posted by suburbaknght

At last, the time of the prophecy approaches!

Posted by geezer

The location of maximum totality for the eclipse is just outside the town of Cerulean, Kentucky which is near Hopkinsville.  Hoping for a clear day.

Posted by drizzdroid geezer

geezer wrote:
The location of maximum totality for the eclipse is just outside the town of Cerulean, Kentucky which is near Hopkinsville.  Hoping for a clear day.
  I'm not very far from Hopkinsville.  So my first time back to the con after a long break and the day I get back home there is an eclipse?  Coincidence, I'm thinking not...  There is great power in this one.

Posted by behiga

Here is a link to the path of totality (in case you aren't sure where you can "see" it.) http://www.eclipse2017.org/xavier_redirect.htm

FWIW, While Cerulean is near the point of the "maximum" eclipse, when considering lunar profile, the point of longest totality is near Giant City Park in Southern Illinois.  If the weather gods favor this undertaking, I was planning on being near Carbondale, IL.  Carbondale will also be in the path of totality for the April 2024 solar eclipse.  If the weather gods are displeased, I was going to head to North Platte, NE where the weather prospects seem to be more favorable for clear(er) skies. 

As a avid umbraphile, my best advice is to scout out locations now and try to be mobile in case you need to relocate.

Posted by rhhata vickers1

vickers1 wrote:
It seems you are having a total eclipes of the heart.
Attending GenCon this year (can't most years) and was catching up on the forum.  Read you post ...
<sarcastic>Thanks</sarcastic>, now I'm going to have Bonnie Tyler playing in my head for the next 24-48hrs. ;)
Might have alter my plans a bit to see the eclipse!

Posted by cosmicpower

I'll be traveling back home monday,  going be to PA.  At least I know I'll be up to see it.

Posted by mikeboozer

I tried to get them to move this to the Sunday of Gen Con, but Ra, Apollo, Arien, and Amaterasu said No.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Volunteer Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by austicke mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:I tried to get them to move this to the Sunday of Gen Con, but Ra, Apollo, Arien, and Amaterasu said No.

Bite your tongue! I don't want to miss any of the con. Hehe.

Posted by mrshiny

Well, if you want to really enjoy it, the Props of Nylarlathotep Kickstarter is offering a run of Masks of Nyarlathotep that starts Sunday before Gen Con, plays through Tuesday night and then ends in St. Louis on Monday after to coincide with the totality (those familiar with Masks will know why).
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/195095939/props-of-nyarlathotep-london-and-cairo?ref=user_menu

Posted by mrshiny austicke

austicke wrote:

It is also the last one in the US until 2024...

Posted by derekguder

I'm starting to be very sorely tempted. I have to figure out when the peak will be down south and whether there is even a remote chance I'll be packed up early enough and in any shape to make that trip immediately after Gen Con, or if I'll just be satisfied with the 90% eclipse.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by rhhata mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
I tried to get them to move this to the Sunday of Gen Con, but Ra, Apollo, Arien, and Amaterasu said No.
Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Volunteer Manager
Gen Con LLC
I suspect your offer of sacrifice was insufficient, what with all the possibilities with so many of us attending GenCon.  Not that I'm volunteering or anything, but ... anyone else up to taking one for the team?

Posted by derekguder

Looks like the total eclipse will run through Nashville Monday afternoon, so folks could hit it if they leave by 9 am or so (barring inevitable traffic, I presume).

I'm very curious what plans people have put together to hit good spots to check it out.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by austicke derekguder

derekguder wrote:I'm very curious what plans people have put together to hit good spots to check it out.

My group is heading to Grand Rivers, Kentucky on Sunday evening and plan on viewing the eclipse from Land Between the Lakes before heading to Nashville for a couple days. But we may need to travel elsewhere Monday morning depending on weather / cloud cover.

Posted by del_grande

Pardon the bump, but here is something you might be interested in: so far, it seems to be limited to Oregon, but there are reports of hotels that took early reservations for August 20-21 that now realize what is going on, so they cancelled the reservations and raised the nightly rates significantly (in some cases, around $1000).  If you made an early reservation for just after GenCon, you might want to confirm the price.

Posted by austicke

This happened to me with an independant hotel in Kentucky. I'm glad I booked a backup with a corporate hotel.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3
1 3