Out of Block Downtown Marriott Rooms
Posted by rayken

There are several out of block downtown Marriott Rooms available for 449 a night, you can choose from the Fairfield, Courtyard, or Residence Inn. The Fairfield and Courtyard are both connected to the JW Marriott and have access to the Skywalk, and Residence Inn is by the water canal across from the JW. 

If you have a large enough group, of 4 or more people, you can get a pretty reasonable per person price and have a downtown room. Just don't tell Marriott you're sleeping 8 people or whatever.

These have been going up and down all day, I suspect they will NOT LAST. 

Posted by kjelstad

Over the past few weeks I have seen plenty of rooms offered.  I almost booked a two bedroom at staybridge a coup,e weeks ago and they were gone in a couple of days.  I saw rooms at canal and one other hotel today.  

Posted by jlunman

Where do you see these rooms listed

Posted by rayken

You have to go to the Marriott website and look up Marriott Indianapolis for August 3rd-7th. You'll see the Courtyard, SpringHill Suites and Residence Inn.

Posted by jlunman

Thanks

Posted by joffrey_89

Don't pay that ridiculous price for a room. The hotels will never increase the block says if we keep paying these war prices for rooms outside the block.

Let them eat all those $400+ A night rooms and they might offer more in the block next year. 

Posted by rayken joffrey_89

joffrey_89 wrote:
Don't pay that ridiculous price for a room. The hotels will never increase the block says if we keep paying these war prices for rooms outside the block.
Let them eat all those $400+ A night rooms and they might offer more in the block next year. 
For large groups that are going and only need one room, the prices are not that ridiculous. I have groups that often room with 7-8 people per room that split the cost and just use the rooms as places to crash and leave items.

Posted by joffrey_89

That's the whole point though. If people rent those rooms even if it is 7 or 8 people (which I'm sure is illegal by fire code standards) then the hotel chains have zero incentive to offer more in block rooms next years. 

Posted by rayken

Haha, you sound very bitter. No one cares about firecode standards, they just want to stay downtown.

Posted by joffrey_89

I'm sure the Fire Marshall cares very much about the fire code. Lol. 

I'm not bitter just want to see more in block rooms offered. There are hotels in downtown Indy that won't even offer in block rooms cause they know peope will pay their price. If people stopped doing that things might change. 

Do do you work for the Marriott or what?  Lol. 

Posted by frch0603

It's called supply and demand, the rooms will obviously still sell out that those prices.  While it does suck for keeping prices down, it is the price that the market dictates.  The hotels aren't screwing you or people out of rooms, they are operating at the fair price.  If anything, rooms as a whole may go down if the block is completely removed, because the low prices of the block are causing the out of block prices to be raised to compensate back to the correct average room price, as well as guaranteeing that more people end up downtown, rather than large segments of gamers moving to the surrounding districts.  Don't get mad because you can't screw the hotel out of money and continue to pay the prices you paid back in 2005... Get a cheap hotel in the North and just uber/bus/shuttle in each day.

Posted by rayken

I was going to say something similar frch, but I just gave up. He accused me of working for Marriott.

I was simply posting this because a lot of people have a large group and only need one room, and can split up costs and still have an affordable 4-5 day vacation, regardless of "fire code." I don't know anyone who even cares about fire code aside from people who are nitpicking. We've had 12 people in a room before. But it seems Joffrey is content to tell people just not to go so that rooms will be cheaper next year. Which won't ever happen.

Posted by joffrey_89

Screw the hotels out of money?  Are you kidding me?  A fair price?  Get real.

Look at the rate for any of the down town hotels a month prior to Gen Con then look the week of Gen Con. 

One of them had rooms a month earlier for $129 a night (the usual rate which by the way is lower than the in block price) and a month later during Gen Con they're charging $623. 

Your statement makes no sense that they are jacking up the prices to make up for block prices. 

Its that that kind of mentality that feeds into this kind of price gouging. 

Posted by oltomperry

7 or 8 people staying in a room is ridiculous. Those are the people that go the entire con without showering. 

I got an off-the-block room last year for $330/night. Which was $100 over the block rate. That's fine. $450 plus is just price gouging. 

Posted by bluesky

It's supply and demand. I pulled this screenshot just now for indie JW. I bet anything those wed/thur/fri/sat prices are like the tuesday one above $440.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.