Rooms available at The Alexander Hotel - 5 blocks away
Posted by toddygee

As of this moment, there is availability at The Alexander in the room reservation system.

Posted by jedibcg

Was this around 6 30pm eastern?  Because I was looking then and saw nothing.

Posted by toddygee

Strange, I still see availability at the Alexander.  (3/14 2:21 PM PDT).  Not sure if it's a glitch or just something that only I can see.

Posted by bushmaster

Just wondering but where is your room at Toddygee?

Posted by jedibcg

I bet his room is in the Alexander because I have been looking all day today and see nothing.

Posted by toddygee

Yes, my room is at the Alexander.  Does the system always show you the hotel where you are currently staying?  That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it would explain why I keep seeing it as available.

Posted by onelittlemoment

I've been looking constantly and I haven't seen the Alexander as available...

Posted by qieb

Yes, when you go in to modify your reservation it shows the room you currently have reserved as being available.  

Posted by bushmaster

Don't feel bad. I was doing the same thing for a while.

Posted by toddygee

Sorry for all the confusion.

For what it's worth, I did find the room at the Alexander for myself about a week and a half ago - so close in hotel rooms do show up occassionally.  (Was previously out about 2.1 miles.)

Good luck everyone.

Posted by armadilloal

Heh, took me a while to figure that out too.  I was beginning to worry that there was something wrong with the Hilton Garden Inn because it was still showing on my page as available for weeks, despite being only five blocks away.  You can really tell I've never booked a room through the housing block, lol.

Posted by ginamarie72

There is a room at the Alexander available right now--and my room isn't at the Alexander, so this is legit.  

Posted by findelhe

I was able to get a room in the alexander yesterday.   So it is worth checking the housing portal here and there. Things closer in show up here and there.

Posted by jedibcg

Findelh what time was it you got a room?

Posted by findelhe

It was around 12:30 pm EST yesterday.   I happened to check during my lunch.   At first there was a room open for one of the hiltons that was real close that came up but apparently someone beat me on it because I was kicked out while trying to switch to it.   I refreshed and there was a room for the Alexander.

Posted by jedibcg

I have no idea why I never saw either of them then.  I was on pretty much all day yesterday from 9AM to 4PM Eastern rerunning a search ever few minutes.  I tried the constant page refresh but a different room apparently wasn't caught.

Posted by findelhe

What browser are you using?   I have a feeling you ran into a caching issues of which IE is the worst.   My normal process was that anytime I checked the housing portal and did not find anything I would exit out so the cache would release and come back in at a later time.   Without testing it out myself I would think that is the most likely culprit.   The refereshes just reloaded what was already stored in cahce instead of updating the list.

Posted by jedibcg

I would think a new search though should return any new results.  I sometimes (not always) even change the search parameters like changing the number of people or the date.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.