Buying Generic Tickets
Posted by sterlingarcher

This will be my first Gen Con so sorry if this is a dumb question.  I've already received my badge in the mail, but didn't register for any events.  Figured I would just purchase some generic tickets and explore the Con and try to take it all in :)  As far as purchasing generic tickets, this site is saying that they will need to be picked up at will call.  Is there any benefit to purchasing now and picking up at will call versus just showing up and picking up at will call? I didn't know if there were different lines for pre-purchased tickets (even generics) or not. Speaking of lines, are there different lines I need to look out for, or does the same line provide badges, tickets, etc?

Posted by aaronmlopez

There is no advantage... You can either purchase them now and pick them up as they will be waiting for you, or you can just go and purchase them onsite. Either way, the wait could be minimal depending on the time you go to purchase them. If you have an event early on Thursday and are arriving Wednesday, it would save you a bit of time if you could get to Will Call the night before. 

Posted by sterlingarcher

Okay, thanks for the quick reply!

Posted by alans

If you use one of the other event Reg "booths," there is less of a wait, usually...
"Participants may purchase tickets specifically for an event or buy generic tickets which are used like cash to pay admission fees associated with a specific event. The drawback to purchasing generic tickets is that they do not guarantee admission or the ability to play a game if the event sells out. Event Registration kiosks can be found in the convention center (Wabash-East concourse near the Maryland Street entrance) and at several surrounding hotels. While onsite, refer to the area hotel maps in our Program Book for those locations. "

Posted by selene314

Yes, there are different lines. Will Call is for picking up tickets that you pre-ordered online. Registration is for buying whatever tickets are still available. (normally there is a third line for buying badges, but that won't exist this year).
Generics are treated exactly the same as event tickets.

If you want to get into specific events, order the tickets now before they sell out. But if you are ONLY buying generics, I recommend using a remote registration booth on Thursday morning.

I think this list of locations and hours is from last year, but it'll be similar this year. http://www.gencon.com/attend/registration#onsite
Edit: they're in halls A and C and the JW Marriott.

The Will Call line can take more than hour on Wednesday and Thurs/Sat mornings, filled with everybody who didn't pay $10 to have their badge mailed (or who bought event tickets after the mail deadline). But it is open all night.

Posted by sterlingarcher

Great, thanks for all of the information!  Glad to hear there are different lines. I'll definitely use a remote registration booth.

Posted by trace_sl

Only pickup a few generics at a time, what you at use in a day.  You don't get refund for them just credit on your account. 

Should select some events. 

Posted by claypeace

Is it totally fine to buy the generics and then give them to my group to use to get into a game together? As long as each person has the tickets needed, it doesn't matter who purchased them, correct?

Posted by rhone1

Correct.

Posted by alans claypeace

claypeace wrote:
Is it totally fine to buy the generics and then give them to my group to use to get into a game together? As long as each person has the tickets needed, it doesn't matter who purchased them, correct?
That is correct!

Posted by hawkeye claypeace

claypeace wrote:
Correct, as long as there are open spots in that game. People with event specific tickets get priority over people with generics (Generics are kind of like flying standby). 

Posted by glory trace_sl

trace_sl wrote:
Only pickup a few generics at a time, what you at use in a day.  You don't get refund for them just credit on your account. 
Should select some events. 

I usually have extra generics at the end of the Con and I turn them in for system credit. Come badge reg time it's like "Surprise! Free money!" 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.