Missing Vendors this year
Posted by dynel

After discussing the lack of an OSR-related booth, I got to looking closer at the Exhibition Hall map and the Exhibitor list. 

Maybe I'm just missing them, but it appears that there are quite a few "regulars" that aren't on the list.  Again, maybe I'm somehow overlooking them, or they have a presence but just not in the Exhibition Hall but - so far - these names (some really big ones, others smaller) cannot be found:

• Asmodee
  • Troll Lord Games (they confirmed they weren't coming on G+ some months back)
  • Mongoose Publishing
  • WotC (but that's no surprise...well, it would've been nice to see them at the 50th)
  • Kobold Press
  • The Burning Wheel

These ones stick out to me because they're pretty prominent, and because I personally enjoy their products.  It's kind of sad they're not there.  Anyone else see any prominent names missing this year?

Posted by austicke dynel

Asmodee has a number of booths, but they operate under a bunch of different names.

Posted by bith dynel

dynel wrote:
After discussing the lack of an OSR-related booth, I got to looking closer at the Exhibition Hall map and the Exhibitor list. 
Maybe I'm just missing them, but it appears that there are quite a few "regulars" that aren't on the list.  Again, maybe I'm somehow overlooking them, or they have a presence but just not in the Exhibition Hall but - so far - these names (some really big ones, others smaller) cannot be found:

• Asmodee
  • Troll Lord Games (they confirmed they weren't coming on G+ some months back)
  • Mongoose Publishing
  • WotC (but that's no surprise...well, it would've been nice to see them at the 50th)
  • Kobold Press
  • The Burning Wheel

These ones stick out to me because they're pretty prominent, and because I personally enjoy their products.  It's kind of sad they're not there.  Anyone else see any prominent names missing this year?

mongoose hasn't been around for a few years.  Honestly, after the disaster that was their paranoia kickstarter, good riddance.

Posted by dynel austicke

austicke wrote:
Asmodee has a number of booths, but they operate under a bunch of different names.

@bithlord - I hadn't realized that they hadn't been there for a few years!  I thought they were there in 2015 (when I went last) but I guess they weren't.  Still, they're a big name in the industry, and it's a little surprising they're not there.  But if they haven't been there in a few years, I guess those in attendance aren't as shocked at their absence.

Posted by andrewj.rager

Asmodee not so secretly owns about 1/6 of the whole exhibit hall. lol

Posted by rhone1

It's too bad the Troll Lords won't be there.  Our group discovered Castles & Crusades because of Gen Con years ago and pay it often.  They always had god deals on their wares and are always fun to talk to.

It is silly that WotC abandoned Gen Con.

Posted by brumcg

Burning Wheel is there (booth 2051).

Kobold Press is going to be there running game and seminars.  They normally "share" a booth with Paizo, but their name is never listed.  I'm not sure if that's the same this year.

Posted by rogersba bith

bithlord wrote:mongoose hasn't been around for a few years.  Honestly, after the disaster that was their paranoia kickstarter, good riddance.

Since I actually got my copy of Paranoia, I'd only call it a minor disaster. Artisan Dice continues to be a disaster (more than 4 years after funding and still finding excuses), and they still show their faces at the con!

Posted by jtzell

Fat Dragon Games is another that I noticed was not on the list. Too bad they make so excellent printable terrain items.

Posted by aaronmlopez

Wish Mindworm Games would come back... 

Posted by trace_sl

Frog God Games not going to be there.

Posted by dynel

I'm glad that Burning Wheel will be there...I must have overlooked them.  

@trace_sl - that was one I saw missing and forgot about.  Yeah. That one stinks!  I wish FGG was going to be there! 

Posted by rhone1

Frog God makes incredible products.  Silly they won't be there as well.

Posted by cataluna jtzell

jtzell wrote:
Fat Dragon Games is another that I noticed was not on the list. Too bad they make so excellent printable terrain items.

I asked about it on the forums. They did Origins this year instead.

Posted by aklevah

Geek Chic won't be there.

Posted by varelseshrike rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
It's too bad the Troll Lords won't be there.  Our group discovered Castles & Crusades because of Gen Con years ago and pay it often.  They always had god deals on their wares and are always fun to talk to.
It is silly that WotC abandoned Gen Con.

Castles and Crusades is fantastic. 

Posted by ryric

It's been several years at this point, but I still miss Cloud Kingdom Games. Used to love stopping by their booth to do the riddle.

Posted by armadilloal aklevah

aklevah wrote:
Geek Chic won't be there.

Well, yeah, but they're not really anywhere any more.

Posted by brumcg rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
Frog God makes incredible products.  Silly they won't be there as well.

Last year, the Paizo booth had some Frog God Pathfinder-compatible product.  It's not the same, but...

Posted by bith rogersba

rogersba wrote:
bithlord wrote:mongoose hasn't been around for a few years.  Honestly, after the disaster that was their paranoia kickstarter, good riddance.

Since I actually got my copy of Paranoia, I'd only call it a minor disaster. Artisan Dice continues to be a disaster (more than 4 years after funding and still finding excuses), and they still show their faces at the con!
I got mine too.  After much, much disagreement. 

The cards are printed on *terrible* cardstock.  The dice, are generic cheapy tiny plastic dice that you would expect in a dollar-store board game, not "premium" like they indicated.  They lied through their teeth when promoting the kickstarter. 

And, to top it all off, leading up to it (and continuing on after it) they removed ALL support / files for their old Paranoia from their website with no forewarning. 

The fact that they eventually delivered a budget product doesn't give them any benefit in my eyes.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.