4 - Day Badge versus Press Badge
Posted by descentsaturn

Let me start off by saying, first time going to Gen Con and I'm thrilled beyond belief!

I tried looking everywhere (Google/FAQ/etc) for information on what is the difference between a 4 - Day Badge versus a Press Badge, is there a difference? I happen to have both and I'm a little confused if I need both.

Is there anywhere information on what the Press Badge gives me that a regular 4 - Day Badge doesn't? I'm fully aware of my responsibilities as a member of the Press, but besides the added responsibility, what's the advantage?

Thank you very much for your time!

Posted by tamwulf

You should have received a packet along with your Press Badge detailing what it can, and can't do.

In a nutshell- you get access to Press Only events, which would have been included in the packet, and I have to ask- if you don't know what a Press Badge is for, why do you have one? How did you get one? Who do you represent?

Posted by descentsaturn

Tamwulf, 

Thanks for the information! 

"You should have received a packet along with your Press Badge detailing what it can, and can't do."

I don't have my badge yet, I'll get it at Gen Con via will call, would the packet be given to me there? 

"I have to ask- if you don't know what a Press Badge is for, why do you have one? How did you get one? Who do you represent?"

I got one because I'm part of a media podcast that covers tournaments, and since this year there are new  tournaments pertaining to the games I cover, I saw it fit to apply for one. The main problem I had was that beyond the application getting approved, there was zero information on what the press badge gave me in terms of what I am going to be covering at Gen Con, so I saw fit to ask here in the forums since Gen Con is soon approaching. 

Thanks again for the reply! 

Posted by dreamitdoit tamwulf

tamwulf wrote:
You should have received a packet along with your Press Badge detailing what it can, and can't do.
In a nutshell- you get access to Press Only events, which would have been included in the packet, and I have to ask- if you don't know what a Press Badge is for, why do you have one? How did you get one? Who do you represent?

No, you didn't have to ask. The OP did not deserve an inquisition for asking a reasonable question.

Posted by saintsabastian

Hey there descentsaturn,
I am on my 11th year as a press badge holder for GenCon.  In the past few years they have made the Press Badge much more inline with a standard 4-day badge.  Prior to the change, the press badge wouldn't let you get into games, etc. because you didn't get it until Thursday and it wasn't listed in the registration tool.  The new press badge system is much, much better than the past. 
And, you can only pick up your press badge in the media room (114) on Thursday morning.  They do not hand them out in the normal will call line.
One more thing, you shouldn't need both badges, the press badge should do everything you would need!
I really hope you enjoy the con, it is truly wonderful!
S.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.