RPG Beginner
Posted by alittleparrott

Interested in getting started with an RPG,  but there seem to be endless possibilities. What's a good base to get started with? What should I keep an eye out for at Gencon? 

Posted by aaronmlopez

Look for any events that state "no experience required" or "all rules will be taught". 

Many RPGs are good for beginners and have games geared for them. My preference is for D&D 5th Edition (5e), as it is really easy to get into. However, there are systems such as Fate, Pathfinder, Numenera, and more that are also pretty easy to learn. 

What type of genre piques your interest most?
Here are some suggestions:
High fantasy - D&D, Pathfinder
Fantasy - 7th Sea, Legend of the 5 Rings
Sci-Fi - Star Trek, Star Wars, 
Western - Deadlands, Western (not in English yet)
Espionage/spy - Top Secret
Detective - Baker Street
Horror - Call of Cthulhu, World of Darkness

Cross platform - FATE, Numenera, Shadowrun, Firefly/Serenity

Posted by mvotruba

Aaronmlopez provided you with a good list to select from.  I would just add that if you can, try to get into a slot or demo the game before you invest in the rulebooks to first see if you like the game.

For most of these, you'll be able to find a vendor booth in the Exhibit Hall to get a feel for the system.

OH! Almost forgot...one more key factor to consider:  While you'll likely see all of those mentioned played at Gen Con, you want to be sure you have (or can find) a group that will play those once you get home.  A great RPG system with no players is just a book on your shelf. (I speak from experience)

Posted by lore seeker aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:What type of genre piques your interest most?

I think this is the most important question that needs answering before any recommendations can be made.

Posted by alittleparrott aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:

What type of genre piques your interest most?
Here are some suggestions:
High fantasy - D&D, Pathfinder
Fantasy - 7th Sea, Legend of the 5 Rings
Sci-Fi - Star Trek, Star Wars, 
Western - Deadlands, Western (not in English yet)
Espionage/spy - Top Secret
Detective - Baker Street
Horror - Call of Cthulhu, World of Darkness
Cross platform - FATE, Numenera, Shadowrun, Firefly/Serenity
I enjoy a lot of fantasy stuff, but also enjoy who-done-it stuff.  I also really love getting involved in a story with step by step scenarios (meaning this event leads you to that event); but I feel like that's the basic concept of an RPG?

Posted by lore seeker alittleparrott

alittleparrott wrote:I also really love getting involved in a story with step by step scenarios (meaning this event leads you to that event); but I feel like that's the basic concept of an RPG?

Not necessarily. The basic concept of an RPG is playing a character (a little bit like improv acting around a table), but there are RPG adventures whose plots are less linear. That said, most convention game plots DO tend to be linear out of necessity (time constraints, etc.)

As far as fantasy RPGs, I'd recommend Pathfinder.

Posted by alittleparrott

I do enjoy a good linear game. 

Posted by pocketroid alittleparrott

alittleparrott wrote:[/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/12724-rpg-beginner?page=1#39645ined]I enjoy a lot of fantasy stuff, but also enjoy who-done-it stuff.  I also really love getting involved in a story with step by step scenarios (meaning this event leads you to that event); but I feel like that's the basic concept of an RPG?[/url]
Seems like you are looking for something which drives narrative. There is a hidden tendency for popular games (D&D, Pathfinder, most d20 derivative systems) to be more combat-focused endeavors, with hour(s)-long battles and one hundred fiddly, edge-case rules which pull you out of actualy roleplaying, and straight into filling out your tax returns. You should certainly try them out, you might love it - especially if you like video game RPGs. But if you want to bring home a specific narrative focused RPG, I might recommend some which I am familiar with:

Dungeon World for generic fantasy but faster battles when they happen
similar, yet d20-bound: Index Card RPG brought to you by the illustrius Hankerin Ferinale
Lady Blackbird for more concise, one-shot game
Fate is a bit more complex to GM, but is very good for stories.
If you really need to play D&D, Basic Fantasy is the same thing except free.
Other stuff to look into: Fudge, Gurps, Mouse Guard, L5R
I know there are systems/settings perfectly suited for mystery/detective/etc, but I don't know them.

If you're shopping around, you might want to look for the word "rules light".

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.