Exhibit hall question
Posted by dalarpguy

Hope this is not a repeat, but I couldn't find the answer... Just wondering if we know when we can start lining up for the exhibit hall on Thursday.  Trying to get some shopping done early ;)

Posted by austicke

You can start lining up now. The convention center is open 24×7.

(However, with that being said, they don't allow you to sleep there.)

Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent austicke

austicke wrote:

Sounds like someone is suggesting a whole lot of caffeine so I can stay awake for the next 10 straight days.

Posted by aaronmlopez austicke

austicke wrote:

The CONVENTION center is open 24/7... but the The EXHIBIT HALL (where all the shopping is done) remains open from 10 am to 6 pm, Thursday through Saturday, and from 10 am to 4 pm on Sunday.

Posted by rogersba dalarpguy

dalarpguy wrote:
Hope this is not a repeat, but I couldn't find the answer... Just wondering if we know when we can start lining up for the exhibit hall on Thursday.  Trying to get some shopping done early ;)

It's not really a line. People will gather in front of the various entry doors from the main hallway. The doors are all opened at once (or very close to it). Everyone's usually inside in a minute or two since there are so many doors opened. Unless you're trying to get to something very limited, I'd just join the crowd.

Hopefully someone else will chime in on how early that crowd starts to gather.

Don't try to cheat by going to the side doors. Those are opened later, if at all.

And make sure your badge is visible and facing forward. They will be checking, even with the rush on. I generally go ahead and hold it up for them.

Posted by austicke aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:The CONVENTION center is open 24/7... but the The EXHIBIT HALL (where all the shopping is done) remains open from 10 am to 6 pm, Thursday through Saturday, and from 10 am to 4 pm on Sunday.

Well, of course. The OP is asking about lining up outside the exhibit hall.

Posted by austicke rogersba

rogersba wrote:Hopefully someone else will chime in on how early that crowd starts to gather.

Some folks start lining up around 7:00 or 8:00, but that seems kind of early to me. (But I suppose it depends on how badly you want to enter at 9:00:05 rather than 9:02:00.)

Here's the "line" at 8:30 last year.

Posted by dynel

I usually go to get a spot after I eat breakfast.  I get up really early, go eat, and then take a seat on the floor in front of the door I want to go in.  When I got to the doors in 2015, there were 3-4 people there.  That was it.  It was super-early, though.

Posted by austicke dynel

dynel wrote:When I got to the doors in 2015, there were 3-4 people there.  That was it.  It was super-early, though.

What time?

Posted by andrewj.rager

I think on Friday & Saturday last year I was lined up at 8AM to get in trying to get Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle for my wife. Failed both days to be one of the first 50 at their booth. I bought the game 50% on black Friday. Won't bother trying to wait in line this year.

Posted by trace_sl

I find it better to watch from above. 

Posted by mvotruba trace_sl

trace_sl wrote:
I find it better to watch from above. 

+1
This is what my daughter & I have done last time we attended and it was fun to watch.  I like the view, plus you can actually see the opening ceremonies.

I have been in the mad rush once or twice before, but I'm done with that.  I wait 5-10 minutes, and then I stroll in.

If you want to be in the mad rush, and want to be towards the front, I would say about 1 hour before the hall opens (so 9 am or so) should do it. 

Posted by aaronvsapp

Since most of the things people are rushing for are things everyone can get in just a couple of weeks I don't usually worry about getting there super early. If I do it is to try and demo a high demand game at FF or Asmodee.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.