Top Booths for Dice Purchases
Posted by boomdabah

Looking to pick up some new dice and want to find some nice quality ones. Any suggestions?

Posted by njseahawksfan

Chessex is kinda the gold standard.  They have multiple booths.

Posted by rogersba

It depends on what you mean by nice quality.

If you're talking about for everyday play, Chessex and Crystal Caste are the first that come to mind. Koplow makes standard dice, as well as some fun oddball dice (different symbol sets for specific games, for teaching, etc.) Gamescience is usually sold through a partner's booth. They claim their dice have superior balance and manufacturing tolerances.

If you want dice that are pretty but probably won't be used in play, Artisan Dice makes some really cool stuff from metals and rare woods. (But they still haven't delivered orders from a Kickstarter 3 years ago...no, I'm not bitter at all...)

Posted by jedikitty

Head over to Gatekeeper Games (2343) and help them out - they just experienced a house fire. They sell beautiful two-toned dice called halfsies!

Posted by ladyimm

I love Crystal Caste :)

Posted by hahnarama

Studio 6d6, booth 2834

Posted by varelseshrike

Chessex is my go to. Q Workshop some some really awesome stuff though. A little pricier but intricate stuff. 

Posted by bith

Q workshop is a love/hate thing.  I lean towards hate.  I find them too busy to be effectively read.

Posted by david campbell bith

bithlord wrote:
Q workshop is a love/hate thing.  I lean towards hate.  I find them too busy to be effectively read.

I've never bough them exactly because of that. I think they make amazing looking dice, but I was always concerned about readability when they roll away from me on table.

Posted by boc_mage

My splurge is usually Artisan Dice, which sucks as they won't be at GenCon this year per facebook they're doing Pax unplugged instead. I love their stuff but will not buy it sight unseen. Only after i see and feel it. Also note that they've burned kickstarter backers (not truly a downside) by sounds of internet groaning a few years ago. 

I'll likely spend my vendor hall money on Crystal caste's limited run stuff (semi precious stones and metal dice). 

Posted by gamerdork

I highly recommend Koplow Games. I've worked with them in the past at Origins and some Gen Con - great people! Just as important, the dice are great quality and not as expensive as some others.

Game on!

Posted by urielblue

Q-Workshop, period. Now, if only they would make a proper D3...

Posted by ytuni

I'm looking for specific dice this year so it will be wherever I can find them. I like to shop at Crystal Castle though since they do the free Gen Con d6. 

Posted by aaronmlopez

I'm looking at Shapeways dice myself. Been eye-balling them for a long time... 

Posted by sowelblack

We'll have the DungeonMorph Dice (1" d6s with mini dungeon/cavern/city/village maps on them) at booth #562--Inkwell Ideas.  Each design has roads or corridors that match up on the same spots on each side to make a larger map by placing dice adjacent.

Probably not for those of you who don't like busy designs, but they're cool if you like something different with an extra use!

Posted by brooks boc_mage

boc_mage wrote:
My splurge is usually Artisan Dice, which sucks as they won't be at GenCon this year per facebook they're doing Pax unplugged instead. I love their stuff but will not buy it sight unseen. Only after i see and feel it. Also note that they've burned kickstarter backers (not truly a downside) by sounds of internet groaning a few years ago. 
I'll likely spend my vendor hall money on Crystal caste's limited run stuff (semi precious stones and metal dice). 

I would never do business with Artisan Dice.

Not only have they burned Kickstarter campaigns, but they routinely delay shipments through their website for months and are antagonistic towards their customers.

They have an F rating through the Better Business Bureau for these very reasons:

https://www.bbb.org/dallas/business-reviews/games-and-supplies/artisan-dice-in-mesquite-tx-90470138

Posted by austicke aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:I'm looking at Shapeways dice myself. Been eye-balling them for a long time... 

You can win a set here.

Posted by pocketroid

Gamescience dice are the most fair and balanced rolling dice for the best price. Precision machined die, or even 3D printed will also do, but those are slightly more difficult or expensive. Gamescience dice are injection molded. They are not tumbled, like every popular mass-produced brand does to save money and sell for cheap. Dice like Chessex are tumbled in a rock tumbler-like device, which shapes a (say) d20 into a more egg-like shape instead of a sphere, forcing imbalance and unfairly skewed rolls. That is why some dice often yield, say, a 20, while others often yield a 1. Chessex-like dice are only useful and fair as counters. If you buy a set like Gamescience, you won't need to buy any more dice in your life.

On the Exhibit Hall Map, two booths come up for Gamescience in search: #116#2405

Posted by rhone1

Gamescience dice are the best.  However, they are a VERY small company and tend to always bring a really little amount of merchandise to Gen Con and are often sold out of most of their good sets by Saturday.  Their dice are very nice, but get there early!

Posted by pocketroid

Yeah they are an independent team. When they colour the numbers, they do it by hand for every single die.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.