Lack of GENCON 50 dice
Posted by jbodem

So would someone like to explain how the GENCON 50 dice sets basically sold out the first day? This is inexcusable.

Posted by braewe

I had a feeling this would happen. I'm guessing there just wasn't enough cash flow to pay for the vast amount they could have sold. What they should have done was take orders and cash and send them AFTER the convention.

Posted by werebat

Koplow Games had a very nice commemorative d6 that was on sale with one of the coupons in the Con coupon book.  It's my favorite souvenir from the Con actually.  My only peeve is that like so many commemorative dice, they put their "Gen Con 50" logo on the side corresponding to the "1" side of the die - which means that instead of feeling great about rolling "Gen Con 50", you feel crummy because you rolled a "1".  Come on, people!  You want us to associate Gen Con 50 with something positive!

I was not aware that there even WERE GENCON 50 dice sets.  Might have liked to get one.

Posted by brion werebat

werebat wrote:
Koplow Games had a very nice commemorative d6 that was on sale with one of the coupons in the Con coupon book.  It's my favorite souvenir from the Con actually.  My only peeve is that like so many commemorative dice, they put their "Gen Con 50" logo on the side corresponding to the "1" side of the die - which means that instead of feeling great about rolling "Gen Con 50", you feel crummy because you rolled a "1".  Come on, people!  You want us to associate Gen Con 50 with something positive!
I was not aware that there even WERE GENCON 50 dice sets.  Might have liked to get one.

Crystal Caste does a dice set every year for the current Gen Con.

Posted by nscott

So which crystal caste die did everyone get? My brothers was just marked with gencon 50. Mine was marked on two sides, one with crystal caste and one with gencon50- going to make using it a bit of a problem:which is 1 and which is 6 :-). Saw a picture of someone else's that had both logo's but still had the 1 pip on the die.

Posted by remnant jbodem

jbodem wrote:
So would someone like to explain how the GENCON 50 dice sets basically sold out the first day? This is inexcusable.

They likely didn't think they'd sell out of their entire stock for the con in the first day since it didn't go against their projections from previous years, who knows if they brought extra or not but it wasn't enough, I feel bad for next year since they may over produce and have bulk left overs to take home.

Posted by hahnarama

I have (2) of the Crystal Caste, don't start yelling my friend gave me hers.  One just says GenCon50 the other has both faces.

The Koplow dice are FRAKING BEAUTIFUL! I use the coupon for one and bought the 2nd. 

Others are asking how they ran out? I think two reasons

1. It was 50th so more gamers were looking for branded swag
  2. Unlike previous years they were not marking you badge to show that you got the coupon book. II saw folks with multiple books.

Posted by doombunny

If your Crystal caste die has crystal caste on one side you should see a pip in center of the crystal caste side indicating that to be the "1" side. Apparently this year was also crystal caste's 25th anniversary.

Posted by ascantla

As popular as the dice are, please, use a line system to prevent the throng of pushing, shuffling, and cutting.

Love the product eenough.

Posted by werebat brion

brion wrote:
werebat wrote:

Crystal Caste does a dice set every year for the current Gen Con.
Ah -- you know, I think I managed to snag one of those sets.  It had one six sider with Gen Con on one side and the company name on the other -- making it useless, as others have pointed out.  Unfortunately the tin got partially crushed in shipment home and I ended up just giving it and the whole set to a friend as a gift.  The Koplow die was my real die souvenir.

Posted by maijstral2 jbodem

jbodem wrote:
I got mine on Friday or Saturday I can't remember, I know it wasn't Thursday. I avoided Crystal Caste like the plague on Thursday because every booth was mobbed 4 or 5 deep I figured I would wait a day for the throng to clear out. On Friday? I went by one of there booths in the 500 isle IIRC and there was a bunch of people buying dice and at one end was a guy with a hand full of coupons and dice with a small stack of the tins in front of him. People were going up giving him the coupon and getting the die and walking away he seems a bit surprise when I said I wanted to buy the whole set not just get the 6 sider. bought it popped it in my bag walked away all told about 1 minute.

Posted by ladyimm

I stood in line on Thursday and bought mine -- I remember not being able to get them last year.

This year's set was, essentially, black and white. :)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.