Hasbro announces HasCon
Posted by hauntedcity

http://hascon.hasbro.com/

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161018006137/en/Hasbro-Create-Ultimate-Entertainment-Play-Experience-Bringing

Magic is mentioned, but nothing about D&D.

Posted by austicke

Thanks for sharing.

Posted by donaldbain

They've got close to a year to nail down the schedule, but not mentioning D&D in the initial announcement seems like a big omission to me.

Posted by nascragman

It does seem odd with the release of D&D 5.0 that Hasbro doesn't even mention it.  But, let's be honest, D&D is probably hard to monetize.  You only need so many hardcover books and adventure modules.  It's ultimately very "do-it-yourself".

There's no way I'm traveling to Rhode Island anyway.  Not when Gen Con is 3 hours away.  And Nascrag went Pathfinder years ago, and we don't really see a reason to change.

Posted by parody

My guess as to why D&D wouldn't be mentioned is along the lines of "Any given Transformers figure brings in more money than the entire D&D product line."  I don't know the actual numbers involved, of course, but I'd assume the choices were made by a mix of world popularity, income brought to the company, and the favorites of [the kids of] the executives involved.  (Not necessarily in that order. :)

I doubt I'd have any interest attending a toy convention even if it wasn't farther away than Gen Con.

Posted by aaronmlopez

IIRC, Hasbro kind of lost money big-time on 4e and so D&D became a non-core game for them meaning it has to show it can make a profit before Hasbro will begin pushing it again. Personally, I think coming to Gen Con 50 could be something that may help it. But it is such a huge risk for them. If they invested in Gen Con and it bombed, then it could be the death stroke Hasbro needs to kill/sell off the brand. However, many fans remember the synergistic importance of Gen Con and Dungeons and Dragons and it could actually boost its popularity. I am biased, but for the 50th anniversary of Gen Con, I would give it a shot and see what happens. Not sure if Hasbro is going to put in a showing, but it would be nice from a fan standpoint.

Posted by garhkal

Looks more like a toy convention than anything gamer related.
Not interested.

Posted by rhone1

I really wish Hasbro would sell the D&D brand, at least the rpg, although I don't expect that to happen.  It would be fantastic to see the (rpg) in the hands of a company that cared about the actual game.

Posted by genconkeeper

Like i''ve heard from my GI Joe pals where Hasbro has been shutting down the small Joe shows DnD will be  on the Tier 2 of this little tea party. All in all I think this will only last, even if makes money, as long as present Corp. management is in place. If there's a change in the boardroom, "even though Hascon is a money maker it does not fit in our future company path." So seven or eight years. might have a DnD presence but more than likely the old statues from Gen Cons past.

Posted by lmengsol nascragman

nascragman wrote:
It does seem odd with the release of D&D 5.0 that Hasbro doesn't even mention it.  But, let's be honest, D&D is probably hard to monetize.  You only need so many hardcover books and adventure modules.  It's ultimately very "do-it-yourself".
There's no way I'm traveling to Rhode Island anyway.  Not when Gen Con is 3 hours away.  And Nascrag went Pathfinder years ago, and we don't really see a reason to change.
And that's why we stopped playing NASCRAG events...I have zero desire to play Pathfinder and we really don't see a reason to change.

Posted by bith lmengsol

lmengsol wrote:
nascragman wrote:
And that's why we stopped playing NASCRAG events...I have zero desire to play Pathfinder and we really don't see a reason to change.
Having played Nascrag since a couple years before the switch... The switch from 3.5 to Pathfinder was imperceptible.  I mean, it's not like NASCRAG is a particularly rules heavy game to begin with, but as for the character of what the game is current version is far close to the pre-pathfinder game than switching to 4E would have been.

Posted by big12cowboys

Nice splash page.  A little light on info.  I know why they named it Hascon, but all this brings to mind, at least for me, is has-been.  It could just be my advertising/marketing degree taking over my brain, but I think they could have done better naming the con.  Just my 2 cents FWIW.

Posted by ryric

I dunno, "Brocon" seems like it would have even worse connotations. :)

Posted by lore seeker ryric

ryric wrote:
I dunno, "Brocon" seems like it would have even worse connotations. :)

True, but as it is, when I see the name, I think "More like Has-BeenCon, eh?" So either way is kind of unfortunate. HasbroCon could work just fine though.

Posted by big12cowboys

BroCon... I think my 19-year-old would be up for that one.  HasbroCon does have a better tempo and comes off the tongue easier than HasCon or BroCon.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.