Games in Lucas Oil
Posted by andrewj.rager aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
Well... at risk of being pedantic, the Colts don't determine who uses Lucas Oil Stadium (although quite obviously they'd be the 800lb gorilla as far as scheduling during the football season). The Capital Improvement Board of Managers of Marion County Indiana is listed as the stadium's management. I don't know if it's them or the "ICCLOS" group that actually does the day to day task of booking events. But the point is that it's not the Colts who manage it. 
Granted, without some sort of tacit approval from the Colts, Gen Con on the field of LOS would likely not happen. But back in 2009 the Colts pretty much gave general approval in an open letter to the community:
"It is also important to note that, from the very beginning, Lucas Oil Stadium was designed to be a multi-use facility to accommodate many users, not just the Colts...... While we are immensely proud to be able to call Lucas Oil Stadium our home field, the fact of the matter is the Colts only use the stadium a maximum of nineteen days a year; and the facility is available for use by virtually anyone else the remaining 346 days."

http://www.wthr.com/article/colts-letter-to-fans-on-lucas-oil-stadiumSo as long as it doesn't conflict with a home game, the Colts say 'no problem'. And to be frank, the ICCLOS would be insane to try and preempt a football game. But since this year's date won't conflict, the field is open and available. We'll have to wait and see about future dates, but 2017 is quite obviously already decided. 

Wow. Nice research there. A+

Posted by divachelle scswan

scswan wrote:
Are we sure this is on the field and not just in the stadium? 
Last year there were things at Lucas Oil Stadium but they were not on the field. Does anyone have info that states on the field at Lucas Oil Stadium?
We're pretty sure.

The Gen Con Games Library has announced publicly on their FB page that they will be gaming on the field. See austicke's post #6, above.

NASCRAG will also be on the field. See post #21.

Posted by aldctjoc nascragman

nascragman wrote:The sight of all those oddly dressed folks in their blue and white costumes (not a lot of originality amongst them though.  Disappointing) was very strange.

Yeah, but they did do one of the most physically hardcore LARPs I'd ever seen in my life. ZOMG.

;)

Posted by aldctjoc andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:Wow. Nice research there. A+

Thanks. :D

Posted by aldctjoc aldctjoc

Whoops, somehow double posted. Sorry!

Posted by nascragman scswan

scswan wrote:
Are we sure this is on the field and not just in the stadium? 
Last year there were things at Lucas Oil Stadium but they were not on the field. Does anyone have info that states on the field at Lucas Oil Stadium?
Yes, it's confirmed.  On the field.  I'm sure we wont be walking around on the turf, but it will be where the playing surface is.  This is what Gen Con told us during Early Event registration.

Posted by andrewj.rager

I wonder if they will be placing "planks" or "boards" down to protect the turf, of if we will just have the sideline areas. Either way it will be pretty cool!

Posted by aldctjoc

The field was designed to somehow either remove the turf or protect it. The stadium holds an annual "Fire Department Instructors Conference", and the field actually has fire trucks on display during it:

So yeah, it's taken care of somehow. I don't know if the "Field Turf" (that's the stuff used in LOS) is removed, or if the concrete floor is somehow lain over top of it, but it gets handled.

Posted by nialith

For the FDIC, they install Field Turf Armour. I'm guessing you need full plate armor for fire trucks and such. 

http://www.fieldturf.com/en/service/fieldturf-armour-field-protection

However, for soccer, they just throw some plastic down and lay sod on top. This is what they did when Chelsea played here a few years ago. 

Time-lapse of LOS field coversion

Posted by keithbradburn nialith

nialith wrote:
For the FDIC, they install Field Turf Armour. I'm guessing you need full plate armor for fire trucks and such. 
http://www.fieldturf.com/en/service/fieldturf-armour-field-protection
However, for soccer, they just throw some plastic down and lay sod on top. This is what they did when Chelsea played here a few years ago. 
Time-lapse of LOS field coversion
The rest of the time they just use plywood under a tarp with a layer of dirton top for things as monster trucks and motocross.  For the time they have just seats on the field, they usually stick to the plywood and not much more.  They do that for concerts, basketball games, rtc.

Posted by maijstral2 aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
nascragman wrote:The sight of all those oddly dressed folks in their blue and white costumes (not a lot of originality amongst them though.  Disappointing) was very strange.

Yeah, but they did do one of the most physically hardcore LARPs I'd ever seen in my life. ZOMG.;)

A few years back when they held a game during the convention a friend and I were walking towards the convention center with our ubiquitous gamer backpacks with all the colts jerseys in full display. We kept seeing scalpers on the corners waving tickets one of them stopped us and asked 'whats with all the people with backpacks?'. :)

Posted by maijstral2 maijstral2

[/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/6788-games-in-lucas-oil?page=2#22126ined][/url]

Posted by aldctjoc maijstral2

bobvilla wrote:
A few years back when they held a game during the convention a friend and I were walking towards the convention center with our ubiquitous gamer backpacks with all the colts jerseys in full display. We kept seeing scalpers on the corners waving tickets one of them stopped us and asked 'whats with all the people with backpacks?'. :)

LOL, that's hilarious! Yeah, I know plenty of people for whom Gen Con - or really, any kind of entertainment convention - is not even a blip on their radar. Some of them would be amazed that SDCC gets more than 20 people. They have no conception that a tabletop gaming convention - or a comic book one, or a sci-fi one, etc. - could draw as many single-day attendees as a football game. I personally think one or two of them - once they get over the shock of the sheer numbers - would actually get a kick out of attending once or twice. 

But yeah, still funny. How'd the scalpers react? Awe, or jadedness once they were informed? :)

Posted by knuteski

One year (probably the same year you're referring to), the scalpers were out...

Scalper:  "Anyone got extra tickets?"  "Whose got extra tickets?"

Yeah you know what came next.

Me:  "I do".  *pulls out tickets* "I've got a D&D Open, True Dungeon, and a couple of generics.  Whatcha looking for?"

Scalper:  "Nah man.  That's those Gem-co tickets"

(At least he was close.)
The next year a scalper was out...scalping a GenCon badge.  Seriously.  He had it in his hands.  LOL.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.