True Dungeon
Posted by cosmicpower

I have been looking up a bunch of things to do at gen con, since this is my first time going. I found out about true dungeon, and wanted to know if it would be fun since this would be my first time going and playing. I would be nervous in doing this because of all the experienced players and feel like ill be a hinder more then a help.

Posted by alans

Lots of opinions about TD.  :) 
There is a separate forum at truedungeon.com you can also look at - some people set up runs just for those who are new to it.
In general, it's a good thing to try, then you can decide if you want to continue to spend the premium amount or if it was just "hey, I went to Gen Con and did that!"

Posted by aaronmlopez

True Dungeon should be on everyones "bucket list" for Gen Con. I found that I really enjoyed the experience and it was worth the money you spend on a ticket for it (they were all filled up by the time I tried to find events, but people drop out all the time and you can generally grab one using generics at any time). Personally, I will not be one to go every convention, but I am glad I got to enjoy it at least once.

Posted by aegoce cosmicpower

Most of the really serious players organize a group to fill a time slot so you're unlikely to end up with 9 veterans that want to do the highest difficulty.  

If you randomly pick a start time, most will include at least one other new player. 
Closer to the event sign up date you could also try looking around http://truedungeon.com/forum/.  You will find people happy to coordinate a start time with new players.  It's a good place to go after you get a time slot so you can meet the other people in your time slot.
basically don't worry about messing up. Be flexible in the first room picking a class, speak up if you have ideas in the puzzle rooms, and take your action quickly in the combat rooms and everybody should enjoy themselves

Posted by cosmicpower aegoce

aegoce wrote:
Most of the really serious players organize a group to fill a time slot so you're unlikely to end up with 9 veterans that want to do the highest difficulty.  
If you randomly pick a start time, most will include at least one other new player. 
Closer to the event sign up date you could also try looking around http://truedungeon.com/forum/.  You will find people happy to coordinate a start time with new players.  It's a good place to go after you get a time slot so you can meet the other people in your time slot.
basically don't worry about messing up. Be flexible in the first room picking a class, speak up if you have ideas in the puzzle rooms, and take your action quickly in the combat rooms and everybody should enjoy themselves
I didn't know about that. That's very helpful. 

Posted by yog-sothoth in jersey

True Dungeon is not that hard to pick up.  The combat system is pretty easy - just sliding pogs on a table (like table shuffleboard).  The harder piece is the puzzle solving.  Those can be quite challenging and require some teamwork.  

However we have played with solo first time players before - the vast majority of people are amazingly friendly and fun!  I highly recommend the experience. 

Posted by gib_rebeg

TD does sell out extremely fast. If interested about doing it with friends, make sure to be online when event tickets open. Or you may find your self looking at scattered single tickets unable to go with friends.

Posted by cosmicpower gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
TD does sell out extremely fast. If interested about doing it with friends, make sure to be online when event tickets open. Or you may find your self looking at scattered single tickets unable to go with friends.
Do you have to go all 4 days? Or can 1 day be fine?  Because I hears it's 2 hours and since it's my first time going I don't want to lose 2 hours a day on it.

Posted by gib_rebeg cosmicpower

cosmicpower wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote:
Do you have to go all 4 days? Or can 1 day be fine?  Because I hears it's 2 hours and since it's my first time going I don't want to lose 2 hours a day on it.
TD runs two story arcs. And each of the two arcs offer a puzzle version, and a combat version.

TBH, if you really love the TD experience, one of each of the story arcs are enough. The differences between combat and puzzle is usually 2 rooms between the two versions are changed along with the final room to accommodate the versions. As such both will share about half the rooms that will be the same.

So if you do the combat version of one, most of the rooms will be the same as in the puzzle version.

So it's really up to you if you want to do just one run. Or one of each story arc. Or try 4 runs one puzzle and one combat of each arc.

Posted by gib_rebeg

And it's up to you if you want to do it all on one day, or spread it out to accommodate your scheduled.

Posted by gib_rebeg

Another note, show up to the event a half hour before your event's run. As well as figure it will take about another half hour after the end of the event. It takes time after the events end to award you your treasure pulls, and experience.

Posted by raven cosmicpower

cosmicpower wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote:

You definitely don't have to go all 4 days.
Since there's 4 different tracks through the dungeon (as mentioned by gib_rebeg) you could choose to do 2 hours per day, and see some different things each time, but if it's your first time playing, I don't recommend spending $200+ to do so.
Grab a ticket for something early-ish in the Con and try it out. 
If you love it, you can usually pick up more runs later in the Con by joining the waitlist.

However, if you're trying to get into the event with a small group of friends, it's a lot harder. You may want to coordinate with friends to load your Wishlist with several potential slots, or go to the True Dungeon forums and see if any groups are looking to fill multiple slots. It's also a lot harder to get groups of 3 or more tix via the waitlist if you decide you want to play again - so if it's more than just you, best to make plans early.

Posted by mhayward1978 cosmicpower

cosmicpower wrote:
I have been looking up a bunch of things to do at gen con, since this is my first time going. I found out about true dungeon, and wanted to know if it would be fun since this would be my first time going and playing. I would be nervous in doing this because of all the experienced players and feel like ill be a hinder more then a help.

I'm a big fan, I would recommend it.

It sells out quickly (complete sell out within a few days, 95%+ sell out within a few hours).

There will be two unique main dungeons this year, both set in Patrick Rothfuss' world setting from The Name of the Wind books.  Each main dungeon has two variants: puzzle and combat.  Both will contain a mix of puzzle challenges and combat challenges, but the balance of challenges will be a bit different between the variants.  "Combat" is resolved via a tabletop shuffleboard system.  "Puzzles" are large, interactive D&D style puzzles of tremendous variety.

Adventuring groups form of 10 players per run, so most groups are composed of mixed parties who don't all know each other. 

If you'd like to ensure you have some rapport with your group, you can try to find them in the True Dungeon forums at truedungeon.com ahead of time - there is a good chance that you can locate the other people in your time slot and plan out who wants to play what classes, etc. ahead of time.

Posted by cosmicpower

Cool, ill be checking out the forums. And I'll probably go anyway because it sounds fun

Posted by gib_rebeg

Here is a video about what TD is like and about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdQz4XLPzkk

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.