What's In Your Bag 2017
1 3 4
1 3 4
Posted by dragonheart

Since I have started this thread over several years, figured I would start this years as well.  So what bag are you planning on bringing, and what are you carrying in it?

Posted by suburbaknght

The usual: pencils, paper, business cards, copy of my schedule.

The unusual: Tiny Epic Kingdoms.  This is one of my favorite games and a great time-passer between events.  I can teach a new player enough to get started in about 10 minutes, and games take about 20 minutes.  A lot of my Gen Con friends from the past few years have been from pick-up games while waiting in line.

Posted by nascragman

I've been coming to Gen Con since the 80's, and one thing I've learned is "Less is More".

1 set of dice
a mechanical pencil
a small pad of paper
a water bottle (just re-use a bottled water bottle)
a granola bar

Posted by bigfathairyguy

Backpack with USB portable charger, generic go-pro, pen, event tickets, lunch, and water. I keep it light. 

Things I have brought at one point that were a complete waste
- Raincoat/Umbrella - Only rains outside you will mostly be inside hauling it around
- Ipad - way heavier than you think and you can get buy with just the phone
- wall charger - get a portable battery charger
- books - unless you absolutely need to have them for an event you are doing you are basically hauling around weights with you
- games - I have brought them many times and they never get played. Now I would bring them if you are going out to dinner or lunch some place.

Posted by dragonheart

A 'few' things I might wanna add to the above suggestions.... Tylenol.... clean change of socks.... some almonds (since I don't like granola)....  And I can never stick to just ONE set of dice.

Posted by rhhata

Might I suggest:
small hand sanitizer.
small pack of breath mints.
stuff a handkerchief in your pocket.
And yeah, keep it light.  I think the "Gen Con Laws of Physics" increases an items weight the longer it's carried.

Posted by jm.spellslinger

Hand wipes, polyhedral dice, small moleskin pad, pencil, Tylenol, water bottle (the lighter the better), and one small snack.  That is THE MOST I will carry with me. On Thursday after I hit the dealer hall (and any time I purchase something thereafter) I head straight back to the hotel/car and put my new haul away. As all of the veterans here have stated, weight will be your greatest enemy at the Con. I am a fit 31 year old and I feel the weight at the end of day one. By day four it can really diminish your energy, and being exhausted when you sit down to game is less than ideal. There is a TON of walking at Gen Con. 

Posted by ginamarie72

I use the bag of holding con-survival edition.  

Sanitizer (kind that hangs on the side of my bag)
Ibuprofen
snacks (protein bars, trail mix)
pens
paper copy of my schedule
folded up reusable cloth bag for purchases
portable USB charger for phone
water bottle
chapstick
business cards

It adds up to a pretty light load actually, and having the cloth bag REALLY helped last year because we bought way more games than we typically do.  

Posted by stiehle

And of course, a towel - it being the most important item in your bag.  You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars that shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini-raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindbogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can’t see it, it can’t see you - daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

The description is, of course, courtesy of the late, great Douglas Adams.

But seriously, a towel does seem like a handy thing to carry with you...  :)

Posted by rhhata stiehle

stiehle wrote:
And of course, a towel - it being the most important item in your bag.  You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars that shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini-raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindbogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can’t see it, it can’t see you - daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
The description is, of course, courtesy of the late, great Douglas Adams.
But seriously, a towel does seem like a handy thing to carry with you...  :)
I would have gone with a towel too, but in the interest of weight i opted for the baby brother, the handkerchief.

Posted by ajdynon

One thing I like to do with water bottles is put them in the freezer overnight.  The ice will melt over the course of the day, leaving you with nice, cool water whenever you need a mouthful or two.  It's also advisable to cover the bottle with a plastic bag in case of leaks.

Posted by aldctjoc dragonheart

dragonheart wrote:Since I have started this thread over several years, figured I would start this years as well.  So what bag are you planning on bringing, and what are you carrying in it?

A ventriloquist's dummy. Because I want to see how far people draw back when I use it for both role playing and interacting with people around the table for 4 hours. And also, because screw practical, this con's about having fun. ;)

Posted by soulcatcher78 aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
dragonheart wrote:Since I have started this thread over several years, figured I would start this years as well.  So what bag are you planning on bringing, and what are you carrying in it?

A ventriloquist's dummy. Because I want to see how far people draw back when I use it for both role playing and interacting with people around the table for 4 hours. And also, because screw practical, this con's about having fun. ;)
*runs screaming*

Gen Con messenger bag that I have covered in buttons...

1 set of dice, pen, pencil, pad of paper, Tylenol, portable battery and appropriate cords, and a water bottle (any lightweight plastic bottle will do as long as the tope screws down tight).

If there's going to be a wait I might drag a lightweight game (zombie dice, exploding kittens, etc.) to pass the time and make new friends.

Posted by rhone1

Wow, it's really early for this one.

Posted by ethrdemon rhone1

rhone1 wrote:

We're expecting advice to sell-out early this year too

Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn? ethrdemon

ethrdemon wrote:
rhone1 wrote:

Gen Con has outgrown Indy's capacity for advice; It should move to another city where they have more.

Posted by jlawry86 ginamarie72

ginamarie72 wrote:
I use the bag of holding con-survival edition.  
Sanitizer (kind that hangs on the side of my bag)
Ibuprofen
snacks (protein bars, trail mix)
pens
paper copy of my schedule
folded up reusable cloth bag for purchases
portable USB charger for phone
water bottle
chapstick
business cards
It adds up to a pretty light load actually, and having the cloth bag REALLY helped last year because we bought way more games than we typically do.  

I just got mine from ThinkGeek not too long ago and it's pretty decent for the size. I like your idea of adding a cloth bag to the mix - it definitely makes more sense than the bags that most gaming companies tend to hand out. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen those bags lining the walls at the ICC. People just tend to carry them around until they don't need them anymore and then throw them out.

Posted by jm.spellslinger a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn?

it can be fun to run away wrote:
ethrdemon wrote:
[/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/7071-what-s-in-your-bag-2017?page=1#24365ined] rhone1 wrote:[/url]

Gen Con has outgrown Indy's capacity for advice; It should move to another city where they have more.

This is by far THE WORST YEAR FOR ADVICE EVER. When I first started attending, the advice was great. With over 60,000 people attending this year the situation is out of control. What's the policy for badge refunds?

Posted by rhhata jm.spellslinger

jm.spellslinger wrote:
it can be fun to run away wrote:
ethrdemon wrote:
[/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/7071-what-s-in-your-bag-2017?page=1#24378ined] rhone1 wrote:[/url]

This is by far THE WORST YEAR FOR ADVICE EVER. When I first started attending, the advice was great. With over 60,000 people attending this year the situation is out of control. What's the policy for badge refunds?
At least this year, the advice is fair!  In previous years, the advise was so unfairly distributed, but this year, I got the best advice I've gotten for Gen Con EVER and it was done fairly!

Posted by aldctjoc

What you do is go to the forum thread several times a day, keep hitting refresh, and at some point someone will drop some advice that works for you. You just have to keep trying till you get the advice you want.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4
1 3 4