Why do you shop at Gen Con
1 3 5
1 3 5
Posted by rhone1

The consignment and auction are hidden gems of Gen Con.  Just don't tell too many people, otherwise prices are likely to go up!

Posted by microwench

Our planned purchases are usually new release things that we don't want to wait for (Shadowrun and Malifaux are our big ones) Unplanned stuff is usually interesting things that catch out eyes.  We also make a list of things we like that we will buy or order from our FLGS when we get home.

Posted by eternusiv

Because it is fun and I've seen how much they pay for a booth.  Dealers enhance the Con and I'll do my part to support them.  

They've invested in my Con experience so I invest in theirs.

All FLGS are not created equal and sometimes I have to hit several.  I impulse buy, too, so....

I bought rpgs online once (Piscopo voice) ONCE.  Meh.  Feels so much better to have the goods in hand, at the Con, often after meeting somebody behind the product.

Aint nobody gettin' rich.

Posted by eternusiv rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
The consignment and auction are hidden gems of Gen Con.  Just don't tell too many people, otherwise prices are likely to go up!

I *cough* heard they might be skipping those this year.  :p

yes.  Totally.  I stumble in, like so many, who were eventless a time or twenty,  and never regretted it.  Where can you get that xp online or in a store?

Posted by brumcg eternusiv

eternusiv wrote:
Because it is fun and I've seen how much they pay for a booth.  Dealers enhance the Con and I'll do my part to support them.  

They've invested in my Con experience so I invest in theirs. 

Exactly.

Posted by nascragman

"Because it's fun" is perhaps the best answer there could be to this question.  I loathe shopping, I even get my clothes on-line.  But I'll spend hours immersed in the giant semi-washed crowds in the dealer hall.  It's fun, It's unique, and it's OURS!

Posted by sarena

Because I can't help myself. I don't buy that many board games though, if any. I'm a sucker for the art, minis, things I haven't seen before, wearables, anything I demo for three minutes, anything doctor who... I have a problem.

Posted by apparentlymarylee

Because you can get stuff there that's not even out yet.
Because we have no self control when it comes to games and we've exhausted the current catalog of items are our tiny local game shop.

We're renting a car and driving 10 hours just so we can load up the car for the way back. "How do we get all those games home?" was literally the only reason we're driving instead of flying back. 

Posted by quarex

That is pretty much the same reason I instantly chafe at the idea of flying in instead of driving despite the ~12-hour drive myself, haha.  And I barely even buy anything, but the IDEA that I might want to buy a linear foot or ten of game books keeps me driving.

Posted by xanathon

Why do I shop at GenCon?  Because I have disposable income that allows me to. 

Posted by fr3deric

I shop at GenCon so I can return and show my FLGS what to sell.

Posted by heychadwick

Hi.  I've never been to GenCon.  I'm a casual DnD player and I'm sure there are probably a ton of nifty things for DnD at GenCon that I can't find at my local store.  Does anyone have any clues as to what would be cool, nifty, or unusual to get at GenCon that I can't get elsewhere for DnD?   

I'm thinking dice trays/towers?  Dungeon tile sets?  Minis?  Or.....some crazy product I've never thought of?  Any idea of trying to figure out where I might be able to find out about stuff?

Posted by soulcatcher78 heychadwick

heychadwick wrote:
Hi.  I've never been to GenCon.  I'm a casual DnD player and I'm sure there are probably a ton of nifty things for DnD at GenCon that I can't find at my local store.  Does anyone have any clues as to what would be cool, nifty, or unusual to get at GenCon that I can't get elsewhere for DnD?   
I'm thinking dice trays/towers?  Dungeon tile sets?  Minis?  Or.....some crazy product I've never thought of?  Any idea of trying to figure out where I might be able to find out about stuff?
Things to look for while you're there would be custom items/props.  Last year I was in love with some of the wooden customizable GM screens but never pulled the trigger.  I found something less expensive that gets the job done but man, I keep looking at them online thinking that I should have purchased one that day.

Dice of all sorts including things like Geomorph dice (which are pretty sweet if you need a random dungeon in a hurry).

Small press publishers - you can actually ask them questions and get some feedback about their products.  You will not get that access from WOTC since they won't be there in any official capacity.

There are some things you will want to see/touch before you buy...the internet can't do that for you (yet).

Posted by austicke

Heychadwick, I'm sure you'll see plenty of good options in the Exhibit Hall.

Posted by rhone1

Heychadwick, everything on your list will be for sale at Gen Con...and then some.

Posted by armadilloal

Why do I shop at Gen Con?

Because I can.  

I honestly never put much more thought into it than that.  

Posted by heychadwick

Thanks guys!   I probably should see how much cash I have afterwards and then look for something to buy!   I think after getting my X-wing stuff, I might not have much money left.  

Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

Gencon, for all intents and purposes, *is* my local game shop. 

Posted by andrewj.rager soulcatcher78

soulcatcher78 wrote:
heychadwick wrote:
Things to look for while you're there would be custom items/props.  Last year I was in love with some of the wooden customizable GM screens but never pulled the trigger.  I found something less expensive that gets the job done but man, I keep looking at them online thinking that I should have purchased one that day.Dice of all sorts including things like Geomorph dice (which are pretty sweet if you need a random dungeon in a hurry).
Small press publishers - you can actually ask them questions and get some feedback about their products.  You will not get that access from WOTC since they won't be there in any official capacity.
There are some things you will want to see/touch before you buy...the internet can't do that for you (yet).
This is true. I bought some hand knitted bean bag pokeballs (original, ultra, & master) last year. Never even thought about something like this. I bought one loved it, returned & bought the other two. Custom things like this are a very good thing to keep an eye out for.

Posted by heychadwick andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:

This is true. I bought some hand knitted bean bag pokeballs (original, ultra, & master) last year. Never even thought about something like this. I bought one loved it, returned & bought the other two. Custom things like this are a very good thing to keep an eye out for.

Thanks!

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5
1 3 5