Finally Getting to return to Gen Con Since 2009
Posted by jtzell

Greetings all, We are finally getting a chance to return to Gen Con since I was laid off back in 2009. Between the Financial and Health issues we are coming back, Yayyyyy! I do have a few questions as we are basically now coming back a new con goers again. 1) Is there still a forum stink that happens the night before the Con starts? 2) Are there still lockers available at the convention center to rent? 3) Is there still an Auction and auction store? 4) Are there any tips or things we should do while there? I am so excited to get back so I apologize if this is rambling.

Posted by soulcatcher78 jtzell

jtzell wrote:
Greetings all, We are finally getting a chance to return to Gen Con since I was laid off back in 2009. Between the Financial and Health issues we are coming back, Yayyyyy! I do have a few questions as we are basically now coming back a new con goers again. 1) Is there still a forum stink that happens the night before the Con starts? 2) Are there still lockers available at the convention center to rent? 3) Is there still an Auction and auction store? 4) Are there any tips or things we should do while there? I am so excited to get back so I apologize if this is rambling.
1. Yes the Stink is still happening on Wednesday night.  Tickets tend to go quick but you can still get in without one (just have to wait for the ticketed to go first).

2. No, lockers have been removed so you will need to do some planning if you need to store things during the con (make friends with someone who is staying at a connected hotel so you can drop off purchases/store costumes or park close enough that you can drop things off throughout the day).

3. Yes and yes.  The scale hasn't changed much since 2009 AFAIK.

4. Tips...there's so much to see that you need to come to grips with "can't do it all" syndrome before you arrive. 

Plan accordingly (some like to schedule every minute some not at all) for you and yours.  The dealer hall has grown A LOT since your last visit, be prepared to get lost/lose a booth during your shopping experience.  The use of a smart phone/tablet will help your shopping trip (booth numbers!) as long as you remember to LOOK UP at the banners numbering the aisles in the dealer hall.

Watch the video on how to use the wishlist when prepping for registration day.  There always seems to be some confusion on how this works so you will need to familiarize yourself with the process.  With the increase in attendance the chances of getting all the games on your wishlist are slim but being prepared will greatly increase your chances of a scheduling WIN. 

Prepare to eat at odd times or get really good at playing the newest Gen Con larp, the food line.  Avoid trying to find a restaurant after the dealer hall closes at 6PM unless you have a reservation (start thinking about reserving once you have your games registered if you want to eat somewhere fancy, spots go quick).  The further your willing to walk, the less you deal with crowds (seems simple but often overlooked) except for Scotties Brew House (love the food and staff, dislike the wait).

Welcome back and I hope this is the beginning of many more for you!

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.