Celebrities
Posted by jtzell

Do celebrities still come to GenCon and do autographs and meet and greets? I have not seen anything so far and I do not see an area on the Exhibit hall map for it.

Posted by aaronmlopez

Several have come in the past to do autographs/seminars/signings/etc. Sometimes, autograph sessions will be events you have to purchase a ticket in order to attend. Some "celebs" are at a booth in the vendor hall at specified times where you can get autographs if they are available. Some just show up at random and don't announce when/where they are going to be. Some are there to give seminars and that's it. They don't really want to spend the day signing autographs at all. 

Those that are going to have specific seminars or autograph signings will have events posted when the list comes out around May 14. Some may announce a bit earlier. Just keep checking the Gen Con site or Facebook page to find all the info.

Posted by gib_rebeg

It's been a few years since we've had official Media Guest show up. Gencon keeps insisting that this is a "Gamers Convention" and thus Media Guest are not part of the show.

Media guest cost money for the convention, and that is more of a likely driving force for Gencon not to. Years past we've had on average 6 - 10 show yearly, but not lately.

Being the 50th, I wouldn't be too surprised if Gencon does bring in some Media Guest though.

Posted by quarex

I still remember the hubbub when Hayden Panettiere was randomly signing autographs at the Bella Sera booth in ... wow, 2007.  Yeah, and that was the last time I remember anyone being like CAN YOU BELIEVE WHO IS HERE? 

(Nothing will ever beat 2003 when I met Gary Gygax, Sid Meier, and Traci Lords in the span of an hour, though)

Posted by lore seeker gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
It's been a few years since we've had official Media Guest show up. Gencon keeps insisting that this is a "Gamers Convention" and thus Media Guest are not part of the show.

I know for a fact Summer Glau, Marina Sirtis and Wil Wheaton have been at GenCon in the past six years. Not sure why they wouldn't qualify as "Media Guests."

Posted by gib_rebeg quarex

quarex wrote:
I still remember the hubbub when Hayden Panettiere was randomly signing autographs at the Bella Sera booth in ... wow, 2007.  Yeah, and that was the last time I remember anyone being like CAN YOU BELIEVE WHO IS HERE? 
(Nothing will ever beat 2003 when I met Gary Gygax, Sid Meier, and Traci Lords in the span of an hour, though)
I remember when she was there, if I'm not mistaken, she was signed up to be at the Bella Sera booth to sign autographs.

I have a picture I took of her. Her mother was there too that year. Also very attractive. Panettiere was only 17 I believe that year, and thus had to have an Adult there to supervise her. Hayden looked like she was absolutely loving talking to all the young girls wanting her autograph and enjoying what she was going. Her mother on the other hand had a look of wanting to be anywhere but there on her face. LOL

Posted by magdalenebloom

It was because of a celebrity I found out about Gen Con.

Back in the Milwaukee days I saw an ad that Adrian Paul of Highlander was going to appear at some game convention that I never heard of before. I just had to go to meet him. I did get to say hi but I also found this amazing place that I have been to every year since.

Flash forward to Indianapolis around the time of Star Wars episode 2.... My kids and I were at the hotel swimming pool after a good day of gaming. A family entered the pool area and we recognized the teenage boy as "young Boba Fett". Needless to say, my oldest daughter who was around 14 at the time was absolutely thrilled. 

Then there was the year when a few people from LOTR were there and my kids got to meet them and get autographs which are among their prized possessions.

Celebrities might not be the focus or the big draw of the con but they can bring new people to this hobby as well as provide a lot of great memories. 

Posted by ryric

A friend of mine once got to play Star Wars Trivial Pursuit at Gen Con with Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) reading the questions.

Back in the olden days there used to be many media guests. I've met/seen James Doohan, Walter Koenig, Billy Dee Williams, Marina Sirtis, David Carradine, Peter Davison, Anthony Daniels, Warwick Davis, John de Lancie...the list goes on.

I too presume the lack in recent years is a cost saving measure.

Posted by xanathon

Ive heard Chris Pratt will be there this year.  

Posted by rhone1

I also heard they are going to have the actual raccoon there that was used for Guardians.  I cannot wait to get my picture taken with him!

Posted by jtzell xanathon

xanathon wrote:
Ive heard Chris Pratt will be there this year.  
That would be awesome!

Posted by jtzell rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
I also heard they are going to have the actual raccoon there that was used for Guardians.  I cannot wait to get my picture taken with him!
Pictures with Rocket would be great also

Posted by xanathon rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
LOL!!!  I have to have fun with it since I share a name with him.  However I am the original as I am older than the actor.

Posted by marimaccadmin

No, neither Chris Pratt nor the raccoon are scheduled to be at Gen Con this year.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Posted by xanathon marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
No, neither Chris Pratt nor the raccoon are scheduled to be at Gen Con this year.
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC
Yes Chris Pratt will be at GenCon.  He's been attending since the last year it was in Milwaukee. 

Posted by roderick

There's a difference between "scheduled (by Gen Con) to be there" and "will attend on his own dime." 

Posted by aaronmlopez

And... the "Chris Pratt" mentioned above may be someone other than the one who starred in Guardians of the Galaxy. I doubt that the actor is the only one with that name in the world...

Posted by xanathon aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
And... the "Chris Pratt" mentioned above may be someone other than the one who starred in Guardians of the Galaxy. I doubt that the actor is the only one with that name in the world...
and we have a winner lol

Posted by jpederso

Does anyone know if Phil Foglio will be at Gencon this year?  I got to talk to him at his booth last year but I can't find the name of the company he goes under in the 2016 exhibitors map, so I can't look him up on the 2017 map. 

Posted by aaronmlopez jpederso

jpederso wrote:
Does anyone know if Phil Foglio will be at Gencon this year?  I got to talk to him at his booth last year but I can't find the name of the company he goes under in the 2016 exhibitors map, so I can't look him up on the 2017 map. 

Phil was at the Steve Jackson Games booth last year. I would imagine if he goes this year, it may be at this booth.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.