GenCon 50 Celebrations... are there any?
Posted by bith

So, I was initially hyped about possible celebrations or other events for this year.  Either I've missed them, or *nothing* has been announced in celebration of the anniversary. 

Has there been any announcements that I missed?

Posted by austicke

Yes, you missed it. There are a huge number of retrospective panels and tours.

Posted by bith

Ahhh, that would explain it.  Panels are not a "thing" for me at GenCon so I never even bothered looking at them! 

Fair enough.

Posted by helenbb

My husband got into one of the Mentzer tours. He is really excited!

Posted by bonham

I really hope more of a big deal is made out of it than the panels or tours.

Posted by rogersba helenbb

helenbb wrote:
My wife and I got into one as well. Very excited as I love the stories he tells during the auction!

Posted by nesbit37 bonham

bonham wrote:
I really hope more of a big deal is made out of it than the panels or tours.
There are panels, tours, a replica of Horticultural Hall, what all do you want to happen?  Gen Con was already a spectacle before the 50th anniversary.

Posted by bith

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was hoping for some form of celebration event, or something similar. The historical perspectives are pretty cool, and I'll freely admit that I completely missed them in reviewing the event list. 

Some things I would *like* to see, but are unlikely for reasons listed in parenthesis:

1) A DnD 50th anniversary celebration / event (WotC has given up on GenCon, so it's unlikely that they would support such an event.  As of yet Baldman games hasn't shown anything that would be similar either.)

2) Some kind of memorabilia swag, either as a giveaway or for a nominal cost (Most Swag disappeared when the attendance exploded due to economic realities).

3) Something getting the companies that have made GenCon what it is to participate as well (This... may actually still happen.  There could very well be "surprise" stuff that we don't know about).

Posted by armadilloal rogersba

rogersba wrote:
helenbb wrote:
My wife and I got into one as well. Very excited as I love the stories he tells during the auction!
His auction stories are about 80% of the reason I go to GaryCon.  I'm excited I got a ticket as well!

Posted by quarex

I will see you at the Mentzer tour ;) well, maybe...I only saw one, but it sounds like he was doing more than one?

As someone who is about 500% more likely to sign up for a panel than a game, I obviously knew about the events and was excited, but I also see the point that just a normal party would be cool.  That said, I suspect nearly everyone in attendance might be vaguely interested in going to "a party," so I imagine that idea was nixed fairly early-on as infeasible.

Also D&D is only 43 years old Saburch, hold your horses ;)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.