curious about weapons policy
Posted by kidlidar

Just a question to the Gen Con staff.  I am aware of the current weapons policy, and was wondering if the events in Phoenix Comicon are prompting you to change your policy.  Theirs was similar to yours and after this person was arrested, they did not allow anything that even looked like a weapon in (including cardboard shields).  I hope you won't change your policy, I have spent about 20+ hours making a scythe for my daughter who is cosplaying RWBY for the first time and I would hate to have to leave it home (it's compliant with your current policy.)

For those of you that don't know, there was a subject at that con that came in dressed in costume with real firearms and posted pictures of police officers that were working security and threatened to kill them in those posts.  (I'm a police officer and this kind of annoys me).

Posted by bith

I had heard that he wasn't actually in a costume.  Was that wrong?  (e.g. he showed up in all black clothes armed, but all black clothes with weapons isn't a costume any more than khaki shorts and a hawain shirt is a costume.)

Posted by kidlidar

I don't know - I wasn't there and I read the article (I think was was from AP) on a police website.

Posted by garhkal

Sounds more like a nut job than a con goer.  BUT sounds also like Comiccon knee jerked their response..

Posted by kidlidar

It was a "nutjob" he was not a typical con goer, and I agree that it was a knee jerk reaction, I was hoping that Gen Con wouldn't do the same thing.

Posted by mikeboozer

Our policy has not changed.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by kidlidar

thanks for the prompt response

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.