D&D
Posted by rosenbs25

Will WoTC have a shop table there this year?

Posted by brumcg

No.  WotC stopped exhibiting a few years ago.

They encourage other Exhibitors to carry their products.  Last year, I did not see much new 5E D&D for sale, but ymmv. 

Posted by bith rosenbs25

rosenbs25 wrote:
Will WoTC have a shop table there this year?
Nope, and they are not running any events either.  Baldman Games is running the D&D, and has been for several years now.  Passtimes Games is running the magic. 

WotC, corporate, is basically shunning GenCon in favor of more general pop culture cons like ComicCon and PAX, as well as their own in house convention "Hascon".

Posted by rhone1

I could not find any 5e D&D books for sale last year in the dealer hall, after forgetting my Players Handbook at home.

It is ridiculous that WotC is not there.

Posted by rosenbs25

Dam well that's just dumb seeing how BMG has half a hall all to themselves for D&D...so no one will have any merchandise?

Posted by rhone1

There were game aides sold last year by companies like Gail Force 9 and lots of companies selling older merchandise, but for the life of me i couldn't find any current 5e books sold anywhere.  

BMG does a good job though of organizing D&D games.

Posted by brumcg rosenbs25

rosenbs25 wrote:so no one will have any merchandise?

Based on last year, some of the game stores that exhibit will have a small amount of random items.  It really is an opportunity if someone noticed.

Posted by quarex

You know what, it was not until this year after leaving Origins with the sole goal of buying a 5th Edition Players' Handbook and STILL NOT HAVING ONE that it dawned on me just how confusing their strategy of avoiding the major conventions is (as I also wanted to buy one in 2015 and never saw one).  I definitely cannot be the only person who basically does not have a non-Gen-Con source for casual gaming purchases.

Posted by adcjones

WoTC has been supplanted by Paizo, which produces a much better game, a far better gaming experience, and does far more for GenCon than WoTC.  It's unfortunate- I was a long-time D&D player and that brand is now a disappointing mess, and their strategy has been to continue to ignore these huge cons.

That's why I stopped playing and buying their products.  Pathfinder is so much better.

Posted by stiehle

I'm a HUGE Pathfinder fan, but I like what WOTC has done with 5e.  A lot!

Posted by rhone1

Yeah, I like 5e D&D a great deal and find it a fun game to play.  WotC not showing up to Gen Con is a shame though.  

Posted by doombunny

It's likely to be that way for the foreseeable future with Hasbro tightening the purse strings. Wotc doesn't really do much at the cons it does attend. They no longer have booths with stuff to sell. Which makes sense I suppose they no longer really make that many products. It's only Magic and D&D (do they still make that Kaiju card game that they were selling a few years ago or did that die?) and Hasbro views D&D as brand rather than a product. For their part, Baldman does a good job, in fact I'd say the running of campaigns is likely better in their hands than in Wotc at the moment.

Posted by hexgrid doombunny

doombunny wrote:
It's likely to be that way for the foreseeable future with Hasbro tightening the purse strings. Wotc doesn't really do much at the cons it does attend. They no longer have booths with stuff to sell. Which makes sense I suppose they no longer really make that many products. It's only Magic and D&D (do they still make that Kaiju card game that they were selling a few years ago or did that die?) and Hasbro views D&D as brand rather than a product.

There's also all the Avalon Hill games. And Duel Masters, but that seems to be Japan only.

Posted by rhone1

I agree with one of the above posts, Baldman does a good job running D&D games.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.