Open gaming
Posted by davidsmet

What's the info for open gaming?  Haven't seen anything on the maps or anywhere else. 

Posted by bozarjp

I know last year a lot of the hotels had tables that you could use. I also seem to recall some rooms in various hotels you could get a table for an hour or two. Also there are always open tables in halls C, D, and E you can borrow but that is more if you have some people that you already know you want to play a game with. Not for "random encounter" open gaming.

Posted by ashleyshea

Is there a game library? How can I find out what games are available to play? Are there any Play and Win games?

Sorry, this is my first GenCon and I am having a hard time finding info on this site. 

Posted by austicke ashleyshea

ashleyshea wrote:Is there a game library?

Yes.
How can I find out what games are available to play?

This list is from last year. Their inventory continues to grow.

Posted by ashleyshea austicke

austicke wrote:
ashleyshea wrote:Is there a game library?

Yes.
How can I find out what games are available to play?

This list is from last year. They're inventory continues to grow.____________________________________________________
Alec Usticke, Unofficial Gen Con Indy Facebook Discussion Group
Thank you!

Posted by nascragman

Last year there was considerable Open Gaming in the JW Marriott.  Is there any way to confirm it will be there again this year?  We like to meet up on Thursday morning and discuss our event.

Posted by ryric

Since this question comes up every year, I'll also point out that if you have a group that's just looking for a spot to play, you can go up to any HQ and ask if they have space available. Often they do, and you can then have a "reserved" spot to play. Open gaming can often be full and difficult to find space, so this option works well.

Posted by kiyote

Yes, this something that generates a lot of confusion each year because (I believe) each person has a slightly different definition of "open gaming".

There is unstructured, unticketed gaming in the convention available wherever, but as @ryric pointed out, if you're using a table in any of the halls just check in with the appropriate HQ (each hall has one or more) and they can find you a table where you won't be bumped.

There is unstructured, ticketed gaming in the convention, and that is the boardgame library.  Buy tickets for the library and you may come and go as you please, play for as long as you want and play either the games from the library, or your own games you have brought from the outside.   Why buy library tickets instead of just playing wherever?  Because then you are guaranteed a seat and no one will bump you.

Finally, there is what I imagine a lot of people think of as "open gaming" which is the ad-hoc gaming that takes place away from all of the convention related facilities.  The JW Marriott lobby comes to mind.  Random pick-up games of whatever, with whomever, wherever you can, unstructured, for free, assuming the hotel doesn't mind you taking up space.  (We tend to play in the Velocity lounge and order drinks and food constantly in order to make up for the space we're squatting on)

Posted by apparentlymarylee

Noob question: Can generics be used for the library?

Posted by mundane

Yes if there is space available.

Posted by kiyote

To be clear, buying a library ticket buys you access to a slot of time.  It's quite large, but is basically half a day.  Some people have complained about having to buy so many tickets in the past, but this arrangement means you only need to buy access for the times you'll actually be around and wanting to play games.  ie - You don't have to pay for Sunday of you're not going to be around to game on Sunday.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.