Pokemon Go
Posted by andrewj.rager

Yeah the PoGo hype was real last year at Gen Con. I am hoping it is big again this year too. I remember walking from the ICC towards CCM for some food & the whole skywalk was filled with people clearly playing the game.

We pulled out our phones and there was a Dragonite! So we pulled off to the side like everyone else & tried to catch the blasted thing. My wife couldn't get Dragonite to spawn, it ran on me after about 20 throws, our friend was the only 1 of the 3 of us who actually caught it. But it was pretty exciting to see a rare mon that early into the games life.

Of course I would not have a Dragonite for another 5 months & a lot of grinding. lol

Posted by remnant

All those Drowzees...  I'll be looking around Wednesday for raids downtown once I'm in before The Stink (this was where I've caught one of the two Vaporeon I've seen in the wild).

Posted by andrewj.rager

I will for sure be looking for Raids all weekend. There are a few gyms close to my hotel (Hyatt Regency) so I will hopefully get a couple in. If I am not playing an event or roaming the Halls I will be on my phone playing PoGo. Anytime I leave the ICC to go get food or back to the hotel, I will be playing.

Posted by kidlidar

If I remember correctly, There were several stops along the bus route from Gate 10

Posted by microwench

I'll definitely play when I'm not busy with games. Will join in on raids when I can as well, hope to see some of you guys there!

Hoping there will be lots of stuff there that I don't get at home (KC). Last year it was the Drowzee infestation, hadn't seen a single one here, had so many by Friday that I was almost bored with 'em!  

15 days to go! Counting the days now for sure!

See you all soon!

Posted by andrewj.rager

We saw a ton of Clefairy while there last year, which is a pretty special spawn around were I live, metro Detroit. I'm excited to do raids, though I wish trading was out. People from around the world come to Gen Con. I'd love to trade for some region exclusives. Hopefully by next year.

Posted by caitcreates

My friend plays a lot of Pokémon Go. When she found out I am going to Gen Con, she asked me to look out for people handing out cards with special promo codes. I have no idea what that means, but she implied that there might be some sort of special monster/creature that she could access with that code. 

Im throwing myself on the collective mercies of all of you Pokémon Go players - do you think that there will be something like those promo cards/codes that I can pick up for her while I'm at Gen Con?

Posted by andrewj.rager

I have heard no rumors about this and since there is a smaller Pokemon Company presence here this year vs last year, I can not see this happening. Though I will keep an eye out just in case.

Posted by austicke

I don't know the ramifications to the question of promo codes, but apparently Cascade Games will be running a Pokémon Go booth this year.

Posted by andrewj.rager austicke

austicke wrote:
I don't know the ramifications to the question of promo codes, but apparently Cascade Games will be running a Pokémon Go booth this year.

Posted by andrewj.rager

I did a search of the interactive map and do not see "Cascade Games" Any tips on where they might be?

Posted by austicke andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:I did a search of the interactive map and do not see "Cascade Games" Any tips on where they might be?

Beats me, but I see this was posted on Facebook by Katie Burnett: "I am the Pokemon Experience Manager for Cascade Games and am happy to announce that we will indeed be hosting events for Pokemon Go at GenCon :D The specifics haven't been finalized yet but it will be similar to what we offered at Anime Expo. There won't be any special Pokemon spawns or any in-game events, unless Niantic is planning something special themselves. If you guys have any general questions, don't hesitate to ask!"

Posted by remnant

They're running Pokémon Go Card game tournaments Saturday and Sunday, Niantic hasn't mentioned anything about Gen Con ever so I'm ignoring that piece.  The only related byline would be if an event is running in game after Zapdos Raids are done but that's be for running around Indy for stuff.  Via their website it's a free event from when they open to when they close:  Players participate in a series of daily and weekend POKEMON GO related challenges and contests for prizes.  What the prizes are no idea.  I guess it's like the Trainer Rewards program possible to promote their company. 

Last year there was an event where people were going to do a lure party or sorts I think and they sold most of the tickets to cover cost.  People started saying the didn't want to pay and would just show up and use the lures since they wouldn't be able to tell who was just on their phone and who was actually playing walking behind the crowd so tickets started getting returning (probably people realizing they could just mooch for free versus a few bucks) and the event was canceled. 

If you found their booth and check it out and it looks fun good luck.  Don't know how much free time I'll have once Thursday starts.  I might check it out as well but it sounds like a possible pokemon Scavenger Hunt.  Don't want to miss events over this I paid for but I might try and check things out while I'm there.

Posted by nascragman

is there a Pokemon Go Card game?  or is that just Pokemon?

Posted by remnant

There's a Pokémon Trading Card Game which I think is their major event listing for tournaments as well at MTG.  That is different than Pokémon Go (mobile app game) but there's also a Pokémon TCG app as well.  Neither app I don't think is what they'd pull off as a ticketed event though.

Posted by remnant

Duplicate post nothing to see here.

Posted by aleina1313

I created a Discord server with individual channels for 26 gyms within a comfortable walking distance (about 0.5km in all directions) from the convention center. If anyone wants to be a Mod or has any suggestions for channels, let me know

https://discord.gg/ZsPKRNm

Posted by andrewj.rager

Aleina1313 you are a god sent! I was wondering if we would have something like we have in the Metro Detroit area for this! I'd be happy to help in any way you need.

Posted by aleina1313

Thanks! Right now we just need to get the word out so we can get some large groups coordinated for raids!

Posted by [email protected]

Anyone planning Pokemon go walks or raids? I love to play but have little kids and no agility to go join legendary raids when they are available... but I'll be pretty agile at GenCon! Do I need discord or...?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.