Eclipse August 21
Posted by edwin_su

On monday the 21st of August there will be a eclipse, though  Indianapolis  is not directly in the path of the  eclipse it might see a 90% eclipse acording to http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

People not living in the eclipse area might want to consider extending their stay in Indianapolis to include the 21st, becouse you don't see a 90% eclipse each day.

Posted by citantim

FYI, the partial eclipse starts at 12:57pm, with maximum eclipse at 2:25 and partial ending at 3:48.  Now, technically the times and coordinates are below in UT.  Which I believe is 5 hours ahead of Eastern Time.  Someone can correct me on this.  (A couple users did, so I updated this post.  Thanks!)

Start of partial eclipse (C1) : 2017/08/21    16:57:52.4+60.0°155.0°287°01.8
Maximum eclipse (MAX) : 2017/08/21        18:25:02.8+60.9°199.1°204°05.6
End of partial eclipse (C4) : 2017/08/21      19:48:38.6+51.4°232.2°119°09.3

Posted by jevertt

I think you're off by an hour - at least, according to this web site - it puts the peak at 2:24pm.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/indianapolis

Posted by austicke

My group will be heading to the Kentucky/Tennessee border to view the eclipse after Gen Con. Looking forward to it!

Posted by quarex

If you see a car with my username as the license plate and a Gen-Con license plate holder somewhere along the eclipse line that Monday, feel free to assume it is me and say hello ;)

Posted by elvinlord

Took a couple of extra days off plan on trying to see the eclipse in illinois.   Camping out on some national forest land Sunday I hope not to many others have the same idea.

Posted by j76goatboy

I thought this post was about the Eclipse board game......

Posted by del_grande citantim

citantim wrote:FYI, the partial eclipse starts at 1:57pm, with maximum eclipse at 3:25 and partial ending at 4:48.  Now, technically the times and coordinates are below in UT.  Which I believe is 5 hours ahead of Eastern Time.  Someone can correct me on this.

Don't mind if I do.  During Daylight Saving Time, UT is 4 hours ahead of Eastern.

Posted by jevertt

If you are planning to check out the eclipse, consider getting something to help you view it - sunglasses rated for sun viewing or otherwise.

Posted by amandamayyy

Here are some more tips how to view the eclipse - http://eclipsebook.com/2017/06/22/total-solar-eclipse-viewing-guide-infographic/ - I'm hoping to drive down after Gencon to view the eclipse in its totality, but hotels there are as booked as gencon :P

Posted by trace_sl

I am back home for 100% on the 21st, I am hoping for super powers. 

Posted by buttcabbge

I'm actually leaving Gencon Sunday rather that Monday to be in KC (which is nearly dead-center in the path). 

Posted by citantim del_grande

del_grande wrote:
citantim wrote:FYI, the partial eclipse starts at 1:57pm, with maximum eclipse at 3:25 and partial ending at 4:48.  Now, technically the times and coordinates are below in UT.  Which I believe is 5 hours ahead of Eastern Time.  Someone can correct me on this.

Don't mind if I do.  During Daylight Saving Time, UT is 4 hours ahead of Eastern.

Thanks!  I'll edit my post just in case it messes someone up, but give thanks to those below.

Posted by citantim

I'm in a pickle on this.  My daughter's first day of school is that day, and the principal has already told me taking her out of school on the first day of school "wouldn't be ideal."
I think it is worth it though, and I'm annoyed they wouldn't have planned around this event.

Posted by loon citantim

citantim wrote:
I'm in a pickle on this.  My daughter's first day of school is that day, and the principal has already told me taking her out of school on the first day of school "wouldn't be ideal."
I think it is worth it though, and I'm annoyed they wouldn't have planned around this event.

I'm neither an educator or a parent, but I think eclipses are rarer than first days of school. Seems like the eclipse might be more memorable.

Posted by bushmaster

I work in Lincoln nebreaska. It is in the path of totality and it is why I am flying home on sunday.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.