Handheld video game meetup
Posted by pocketroid

Anybody bringing their Game Boy, PSP, Vita, DS, 3DS, etc? Gen Con is a great opportunity to play some multiplayer games with new people!

-fighting games like Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Super Smash Bros., Dissidia Final Fantasy
​-racing games like Sonic and Mario Kart
-Monster Hunter
-Pokemon

Or even sharing creative works on programs like Colors!, KORG, Petite Computer/SmileBASIC, Super Mario Maker, WarioWare DIY, Pushmo, etc.

My own personal dream list of DS/3DS games I'd love to play with you guys:
-Pokémon (including Red & Blue on Virtual Console)
-Super Smash Bros.
-BlazBlue
-Mario Kart DS
-Dragon Quest IX
-Mega Man Battle Network 5
-Phantasy Star 0
-Custom Robo Arena
-Zelda: Four Swords

Also if anybody actually still plays like me, above all else I would adore trading/battling via Game Boy on Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal. I would bring my link cable!

Posted by ad3037

I was wondering about this as a possibility to do some RBY VC trading/battling. Not sure if I'll have much free time during the convention though. I'm looking forward to Gold & Silver coming to VC in September!

Posted by pocketroid

Oh cool!
Which version are you playing, and what level are your monsters? Battling in RBY doesn't auto-level your monsters, so we'd have to agree on a level to battle at.

And yes - I am excited about GS too! Though I'll probably still mostly play on my GBC. For the VC release, I wish they had enabled international trading instead of local-only! They could release Crystal, and we could finally use the Pokémon Communication Center, and also legally catch Celebi!

Posted by andrewj.rager

I do not think I will be bringing my 3DS. I do not train my Mons up for competitive battle in Moon. My team, 3 starters, Raichu, Butterfree, & Kommo-o can handle anything in game, but I know I would get destroyed by EV/IV trainers. Team is level 91(Primarina)-66(Butterfree) right now I think. If I had my old Red version from 20 years ago with my glitched missingno into a Mewtwo I'd be down. lol I'll probably just have Pokemon Go with me.

Posted by pocketroid

Gah, who cares about hardcore trainers or not? We can all still battle and have fun! I certainly haven't seriously EV trained since RBY actually. It's sad that people like yourself are so scared of the whole 'EV/IV' thing. I'd wager that the majority of players are casual like us!

Posted by ad3037 pocketroid

pocketroid wrote:
Oh cool!
Which version are you playing, and what level are your monsters? Battling in RBY doesn't auto-level your monsters, so we'd have to agree on a level to battle at.

I just have Blue from the VC. Used to play it on my GBC way back in high school. My wife bought me a 2DS for Father's Day this year. I'm a very casual player. Having a lot of fun now with some of these glitches nobody knew about back in 1998.

Posted by pocketroid

Whenever I play Red or Blue now, I always partake in the trainer/fly glitch to get monsters early which you can normally only get closer to the end of the game, like Tangela or Rhyhorn for example.

Posted by stryder_crb

Thinking about bringing my Switch... Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8, and ARMS should be a good time. 

Posted by pocketroid

I feel like there will be opportunity enough for Switch action in the video game room, you probably don't need to add that weight to your pack.

Posted by armadilloal

The Switch weighs under a pound.  Maybe you get up to two pounds if you add a bunch of cases, controllers, and accessories.  I don't think that's an unreasonable price to pay in exchange for being able to play a pickup game *anywhere* in the vicinity of Gen Con as opposed being confined to one dark room.

Posted by pocketroid

Oh cool! I just looked up the weight and yeah, very reasonable by itself.

Posted by stryder_crb

Yeah, I'd only bring the Switch, my case and the ac adapter. It's fairly small/light.

Posted by pocketroid

I'm still keeping an eye on this thread =]

Posted by stryder_crb

Someone in the Gen Con subreddit created a Discord server for a Nintendo Switch meet up -- here's a link to it: 

Nintendo Switch meetup chat link - come join us!

Posted by jlawry86

Splatoon 2 is currently dominating my life so yeah...I'd be interested in a Switch meet-up too. :)

Posted by stryder_crb

same

Posted by pocketroid

I'm still open to this!

Posted by jlawry86

Does anybody have any suggestions about a meeting place and/or time? I'll be at the ICC as early as Wednesday but that'll mostly be for people-watching and "The Stink." If anybody wants to hit me up on Wednesday though...feel free to do so! (https://www.facebook.com/jmlawry)

The ICC is a pretty big place and I don't think we'd run into any problems unless there's an event going on in a particular space.

Posted by kd8esu

Well, I got my Switch in the mail yesterday (Yay!), and I got Use Your Words on that bad boy already (even though it would require having a Wi-Fi spot).
I'll at least try to have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as well before I arrive on Wednesday (or find a GameStop to get it in town), but anytime I have free I'm up for some Switch action.

Also, will have my 3DS, but game selection on hand is still up in the air.

Posted by pocketroid

With me, I'll have at least Pokémon Sun/Moon, and Super Smash Bros.
Do you have any particular 3DS multiplayer games, either eShop or cartridge? I also have various music and art eShop titles, Pushmo, Petite Computer / SmileBASIC.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.