Attendance Recognition - From Survey
Posted by varelseshrike

I just took the Gen Con 50 Pre-Show survey and it mentioned something I though would be pretty neat. There is a a question about how important we feel recognition for attendance is. It got me thinking that it would be pretty neat if there were either stickers on the badge, pins, or something to list how many Gen Con's we have been to, or milestones hit. Something to that affect. I would love to see 1st year attendees recognized somehow so I can talk to them in games or the halls and ask how its going. Do they have any questions?  

I know that this system would be an honor system mainly for the length of Gen Con's history. I like little swag and thought is was a neat idea. 

Anyone think this could work or am I being crazy? 

Posted by andrewj.rager

I 100% agree with the first year player point. Last year was our first & if we have some way of letting everyone know we were 1st timers, instead of our blank expressions at the vastness of Gen Con of course. I feel this could have made our experience must better.

Posted by bith varelseshrike

varelseshrike wrote:
I just took the Gen Con 50 Pre-Show survey and it mentioned something I though would be pretty neat. There is a a question about how important we feel recognition for attendance is. It got me thinking that it would be pretty neat if there were either stickers on the badge, pins, or something to list how many Gen Con's we have been to, or milestones hit. Something to that affect. I would love to see 1st year attendees recognized somehow so I can talk to them in games or the halls and ask how its going. Do they have any questions?  
I know that this system would be an honor system mainly for the length of Gen Con's history. I like little swag and thought is was a neat idea. 
Fully on-board with some kind of color coded sticker / design on badges recognizing the number of years you've Attended GenCon (although it would probably only go back to when they mandated unique IDs).  Fully off-board if GenCon decided to stretch that idea into some kind of perks for long term attendees. 

I could very easily see An increasing die-type on the badges, with first - fourth year getting a D4, 5th and 6th getting a D6, 7th and 8th getting a D8, 9th and 10th getting a D10, 11th and 12th getting a D12, 12th-20th getting a D20, and everything after that getting a D100.

That would be cool :0)

Posted by gencon322198

Yes this would be very cool!  At certain milestones, you get cool stuff. Bithlord, I love your idea of giving out higher dice for higher attendance.

Posted by jm.spellslinger

I love the idea of dice representing attendance!

Posted by glory bith

bithlord wrote:
varelseshrike wrote:
Fully on-board with some kind of color coded sticker / design on badges recognizing the number of years you've Attended GenCon (although it would probably only go back to when they mandated unique IDs).  Fully off-board if GenCon decided to stretch that idea into some kind of perks for long term attendees. I could very easily see An increasing die-type on the badges, with first - fourth year getting a D4, 5th and 6th getting a D6, 7th and 8th getting a D8, 9th and 10th getting a D10, 11th and 12th getting a D12, 12th-20th getting a D20, and everything after that getting a D100.

I'm not trying to start something. I'm just curious as to why you'd be off board in this instance.

True Dungeon offers perks (level-ups) to those who have been coming since the beginning. 

It would be kind of cool to level up Gen Con. 

Posted by bith

Because I hate the concept of screwing over new(er) attendees.  I've gone for the past 17 years (consecutively), so I'd certainly fall in the most benefited group.  But, I hate the idea that just because I've been going for X years, some other person doesn't get to experience it.  Or doesn't get to have as good an experience.

GenCon is not about ME.  GenCon is about US.

Posted by divachelle

I think that designating a color for newbie badges is a good idea because then those of us who are more experienced can assist while keeping the fact that they are new in mind. It's not to talk down to anyone, but rather to get a better idea of where they are coming from at a glance and to be better able to assist or direct as needed/asked for.

Posted by rutherfordr bith

bithlord wrote:I hate the idea that just because I've been going for X years, some other person doesn't get to experience it.  Or doesn't get to have as good an experience.

I have to agree with this. I don't see any benefit in making newbies feel even more like newbies.

Posted by garhkal bith

bithlord wrote:
varelseshrike wrote:
Fully on-board with some kind of color coded sticker / design on badges recognizing the number of years you've Attended GenCon (although it would probably only go back to when they mandated unique IDs).  Fully off-board if GenCon decided to stretch that idea into some kind of perks for long term attendees. I could very easily see An increasing die-type on the badges, with first - fourth year getting a D4, 5th and 6th getting a D6, 7th and 8th getting a D8, 9th and 10th getting a D10, 11th and 12th getting a D12, 12th-20th getting a D20, and everything after that getting a D100.

Heck, i wouldn't mind seeing a change with the 'free gencon die', to where the longer you've been attending the different type of die you can get..  Say newbie to 3rd year mark, just the d6
3rd to 6th year mark, d6 or d4.
7th to 10th year mark, d4/d6/d8.
11-14th year mark, d4/d6/d8/d10
15th to 20th year mark, d4/d6/d8/d10/d12
21 years to 30 years, any sort of die other than the big d100 or those funky d5/7/9/11 ones.
31+ years and so on..
bithlord wrote:
Because I hate the concept of screwing over new(er) attendees.  I've gone for the past 17 years (consecutively), so I'd certainly fall in the most benefited group.  But, I hate the idea that just because I've been going for X years, some other person doesn't get to experience it.  Or doesn't get to have as good an experience.
GenCon is not about ME.  GenCon is about US.

I don't se it as screwing over newbies though.  I see it like hotels/restaurants/shopping stores do, Rewarding loyalty..

Posted by andrewj.rager

Agree with point that you do not want to make newer attendees feel left out. This is only my second year & I think one of the best things Gen Con does is bring all of us rag tag group of misfits together. As bithlord so perfectly said: "GenCon is not about ME.  GenCon is about US." Perfect way to put it.

With that said divachelle's idea of making the newbie badges different colors so the vets could help is needed. I would have welcomed that with open arms last year. Would have saved me 2 days of confusion before I actually felt comfortable.

Posted by varelseshrike andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
Agree with point that you do not want to make newer attendees feel left out. This is only my second year & I think one of the best things Gen Con does is bring all of us rag tag group of misfits together. As bithlord so perfectly said: "GenCon is not about ME.  GenCon is about US." Perfect way to put it.
With that said divachelle's idea of making the newbie badges different colors so the vets could help is needed. I would have welcomed that with open arms last year. Would have saved me 2 days of confusion before I actually felt comfortable.

Exactly. I love talking to newbies and ask them how they are liking the convention, if they have any questions, what they like the most and all of those. 

I don't think they would feel singled out. 

Posted by stiehle bith

bithlord wrote:
varelseshrike wrote:

Love the dice emblem idea!

Posted by qwaserity

After years of study, I got a black belt in Shaolin Do. None of the white belts feel like newbies.
After years of weekly lunches at the local gyro place the waitress knows me by name and phone number. New customers never feel like newbies.
After years of college, I got degree. None of the freshmen complained.

Why should new attendees feel "more like newbies" just because they don't get a button that reads "20 year attendee"?

Posted by andrewj.rager qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
After years of study, I got a black belt in Shaolin Do. None of the white belts feel like newbies.
After years of weekly lunches at the local gyro place the waitress knows me by name and phone number. New customers never feel like newbies.
Why should new attendees feel "more like newbies" just because they don't get a button that reads "20 year attendee"?
I think its not as much about a button or ribbon as maybe an event or activity. I think everyone could be in favor of attendance recognition on your badge, but I don't think there should be a 10 year + only room with (insert special game, item, or event here). Does that make sense?

Posted by divachelle

It seems that there are two opportunities here:
1. Doing a small recognition for gamers who have longevity at GenCon.
2. Identifying newbies so that they can be welcomed into the fold and assisted by GC veterans.

I think that both are good ideas. We'd be singling newbies out, yes, but in a positive light. We'd be recognizing GC veterans, too, which is pretty cool.

It could be as easy as a putting a sticker on the badges.

GenCon is about me, and I'm a part of us, so I like both ideas. :)

Posted by varelseshrike andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
qwaserity wrote:
I think its not as much about a button or ribbon as maybe an event or activity. I think everyone could be in favor of attendance recognition on your badge, but I don't think there should be a 10 year + only room with (insert special game, item, or event here). Does that make sense?

Agreed. Everything needs to stay open to all. I wouldn't want anyone feeling left out.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.