Being Obnoxious
Posted by ytuni boc_mage

boc_mage wrote:
ytuni wrote:
Take pictures of cosplayers across an aisle. (I will not stop for these people anymore so you may get a side view of my irritated face instead of the cosplayer you intended).
Try to dictate the moves of other players and effectively play the game solo.
Run into the exhibit hall when the doors open and knock all competitors for your line out of the way.
Proceed to the front of a line and argue that you should be able to make your purchase regardless of the 50 people you line jumped. 
(But really, don't do these things....they're all just bad.....)

See the update to terms of service that specifically says you're not supposed to block aisle for photos at all? 
I've seen that, I had it happen a few times a couple years back and always sticks in the back of my mind as one of those things that really annoys me. I'm glad they have a policy against it so I can walk right threw their shot and they can't say a damned thing about it. :-) It's just rude and with so many attendees this year it would be a huge problem.

Posted by lore seeker

My contribution:

-Be completely lacking in situational awareness and block bottlenecks (like doors and aisle crosswalks) while you stand around checking a map, texting, taking photos, or whatever. It's not like there's ANYONE ELSE at this convention, right?

-Be a loud, obnoxious prick every chance you get. What's one REALLY loud/obnoxious voice above the din of the crowd, even if you're a drunken idiot trying to contact astronauts in orbit through the power of your voice alone? Surely no one will notice.

Posted by gharris

Ignore the General Etiquette Guidelines thread!

http://www.gencon.com/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/7693-general-etiquette-guidelines

Posted by quarex werebat

Hand out flyers with coupons for Georgia Reese's, R.Bistro, Adobo Grill, and other now-closed restaurants.
For some reason I feel like this goes past cruel and back into delightful again, so I will seriously endorse this.

(And I even just found out about Georgia Reese's only in time to learn it was closed!)

Posted by kaiswings

I’m going to bring a double wide stroller into the exhibit hall and act sheepish and embarrassed while people acting “chivalrous” literally throw their arms out to block crossing traffic so I may walk through unhindered.  (It has only been 3 years…I’m not still salty about this at all…)

Posted by djanedi

Get in a food truck line and wait until you're at the window to start looking over the menu. Then take your time and ask 1000 questions about if the steak taco truck is fully organic and vegan. 

Posted by leswhittaker

Make sure to walk with your crew four-abreast through the con like you own the place instead of walking single-file.

Have really loud conversations on your phone instead of texts.

Make sure not to tip your bartenders and food servers - burn the locals as much as possible.

Posted by qwaserity

>>>>>No-show an event you have tickets for. 
>>>>>Get any friends that signed up with you to blow it off too. 
>>>>>Rationalize the no-show by pretending the GM will easily find replacement players with generics.
>>>>>Act offended when called out for doing this. 

My crew actually did this last year. We had a D&D game split into two 2 hours sessions. In the first session, we spent 45 minutes getting our first level characters ready. Yes, we spend 3/8th of the game just making up starting characters! Then we spent nearly another 45 minutes kicking in door after door after door (we had no thief so the DM just had us rolling Strength checks over and over). Worst. Game. Ever.

The next night we had the same DM for the same time period. We didn't even try to cash in our tickets so his table had 3 out of 6 no shows.

Posted by lore seeker qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
>>>>>Rationalize the no-show by pretending the GM will easily find replacement players with generics.
My crew actually did this last year. We had a D&D game split into two 2 hours sessions. In the first session, we spent 45 minutes getting our first level characters ready. Yes, we spend 3/8th of the game just making up starting characters! Then we spent nearly another 45 minutes kicking in door after door after door (we had no thief so the DM just had us rolling Strength checks over and over). Worst. Game. Ever.
The next night we had the same DM for the same time period. We didn't even try to cash in our tickets so his table had 3 out of 6 no shows.

Personally, I think you guys were fully justified. You only have so many hours at GenCon every year; why waste them on a game you know is going to suck?

Posted by stahlnee qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:

I applaud you for doing the right thing. No sense in going to GenCon and having a sucky time.

Posted by watchdog qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
The circumstances here sound unusual to say the least. I know lots of RPGs have "demo" type two hour events, but this is the first I've heard of what sounds like a four hour event broken into two sessions. 

Was this a series of events sponsored by a particular company or gaming group? Is so, did anyone express their dissatisfaction to an EO at the conclusion of the first session?

Posted by apparentlymarylee stahlnee

stahlnee wrote:Need to mind the gap and keep your legs parallel and straight ahead.
If you wish to text, then stand off to the side and let others pass.

I do this in "real life". Also, I'm clumsy, so it keeps me from tripping over things as well. Win/Win!

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.