PSA: Bed Bugs
Posted by lore seeker donaldbain

Thanks!

Posted by varelseshrike

The problem with these reports is that they don't mean much. Since bed bugs aren't filth related, hotels can't do anything really to prevent it. All that has to happen is to have a previous customer bring them in before you. 

Posted by bith varelseshrike

varelseshrike wrote:
The problem with these reports is that they don't mean much. Since bed bugs aren't filth related, hotels can't do anything really to prevent it. All that has to happen is to have a previous customer bring them in before you. 
Agreed.  A better, or at least more useful report, would be one showing how quickly / effectively any given hotel is at dealing with and removing bed bugs.

Posted by garhkal bith

bithlord wrote:
varelseshrike wrote:
Agreed.  A better, or at least more useful report, would be one showing how quickly / effectively any given hotel is at dealing with and removing bed bugs.

Very true.  One of the first times i even had an incident of bed bugs, it was over 3 years after a place had a big stink about them..  They shut down, cleaned everything up..  I just got unlucky in the room i stayed in, someone BROUGHT Them in with his luggage.. 

Posted by varelseshrike

Being in the industry, I know these hotels take them very seriously. If any are found they take action immediately. Make companies are "on call" 24/7 for bed bugs for hospitals and hotels. 

Posted by lore seeker varelseshrike

varelseshrike wrote:
Being in the industry, I know these hotels take them very seriously. If any are found they take action immediately. Make companies are "on call" 24/7 for bed bugs for hospitals and hotels. 

Oh, I bet. Especially chains known for nice hotels like Hilton - they don't want multiple bedbug reports hurting their reputation for quality.

Posted by gharris

Good thing the downtown hotels will have plenty of other clean rooms to move us to if we do find bedbugs in our room.

Posted by garhkal

While sarcastic it does bring up an issue..  Normally when someone finds bugs in their room, the hotel either moves them to another room, or to another hotel (On their dime)..  BUT with gencon being so damn large and pretty much all hotels being chocka block full, i wonder what if anything they will do if any get found this year..

Posted by apparentlymarylee

Another tip, if you must unpack, hang everything including your bags/suitcase. Don't leave anything on the floor. 
-Signed,
Someone who had bedbugs from buying a brand new mattress, aka, Forever Traumatized. 

This is another reason why I went the AirBnB route. Just think the odds are a bit better to not be exposed.

Posted by garhkal apparentlymarylee

apparentlymarylee wrote:
Another tip, if you must unpack, hang everything including your bags/suitcase. Don't leave anything on the floor. 
-Signed,
Someone who had bedbugs from buying a brand new mattress, aka, Forever Traumatized. 
This is another reason why I went the AirBnB route. Just think the odds are a bit better to not be exposed.

First thing i always do when i get to a hotel, is unpack and hang everything...

Posted by magdalenebloom

I was told when you first get in your hotel room, put your luggage in the bathroom (preferably the tub), then check the mattress for bed bugs. That way you have less of a chance of any of the little buggers hitchhiking on your luggage.

Posted by garhkal

Nice tip...

Posted by dlaffoon0

I work in camping and bed bugs are the worst. I see a lot of people checking reports. honestly, chances are if it is on a report, that problem is already taken care of. The sad truth of it is these stupid bugs are nasty... they could not be there one day, the next day, a new guest can bring them into the room. 

Check before you stay in the room. 

-bedbugs do not prefer to cross tile. (leave luggage in the bathroom until your room has been inspected. or indefinitely through your stay) 

-Bed bug bites form in rows of multiple bites (little red bumps) 

-a sign of bedbugs are brown fecal trails on the sheets. if you see these when you wake up in the morning don't chance it. 

-another sign of bedbugs are blood spots on the sheets, or blood trails. caused by you squishing the bug when rolling over in your sleep. also if you see these. could be you had a bloody pimple. but unless you know of that acne problem, dont chance it.

-when you get home. Dont take your luggage inside. when you are absolutely ready take clothes straight to the washer. The wash/dry process if done on high heat will kill the little nasties. then check all of your other items suitcase, bags, I would even check all of my boardgame boxes and things. 

-bed bugs are super invasive and costly and super annoying to get rid of. 30 minutes of extra checking when you get home could save you over a thousand dollars and a ton of piece of mind. 

-Diatomaceous Earth is a product that kills bugs. you can pick it up at any home depot, or anyplace else that would sell pesticides. My girlfriend and I after getting bedbugs on a trip visiting friends started treating our luggage after trips. 

-we also as a preventative, when flying or traveling where our luggage could be in contact with other peoples potentially bedbug infested luggage, will wrap all of our clothing/ cloth in plastic bags inside of our suitcase. 

-bedbugs can ruin your sense of security in your home. my girlfriend had  some sort of stress induced fit after not being able to rid her house of them. (we finally did) but it really messes with you since your home is supposed to be secure and safe. 

I hope that this was helpful. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.