first time at gen con what to expect of exhibit hall product?
Posted by aduong314

This is my first time at gen con and I was wondering how easy is it for something to sell out at gen con especially if its the new release of a game. I have a true dungeon ticket for me and my friend on thursday morning and I didn't know if the stuff we want will still be one sale by the time we get out of the event which is 12 to 1pm. Specifically paizos starfinder is set to release at gen con and because its the release of it does paizo bring a lot of the product. I know the games that are being sold early before release will sell out very fast but what about those that are just set to release the day of?    

Posted by dynel

I hope you enjoy your first GenCon!

I think that smaller companies will sell out of product, especially if their product of in high demand.  For example, I was worried about the Fantasy Age RPG a couple of years ago.  I made that my first stop Thursday morning.  It did sell out (a couple of times, if memory serves, as they got a restock but it sold out as well).  I don't think Starfinder (I'm interested in it, too) will sell out before you get there after TD, but there'll be a line, for sure.  I'm not sure if I'm making that my first stop, because I don't think it'll have the demand Pathfinder did.

The exhibition hall is a major point for me, so I never schedule anything on Thursday, other than walking the hall.  

Posted by trace_sl

Think Paizo will be covered with Starfinder, at least until Saturday.  It possible they could sell out daily but figure they will have stock on hand to re-supply. 

Oh, if you sign up for the Starfinder subscription service and are at Gen Con you have until the end of the July, you can pick your August Starfinder stuff up at Gen Con.  See the Paizo site for details. 

It is the smaller vendors that you have to worry about as they have limited stock on hand.

Posted by andrewj.rager

Last year we tried to get Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle from USAopoly. They only sold 50 copies each day. We were at the front of the line on both Friday & Saturday & it didn't matter, still didn't get close. Some companies have odd rules like this. Some will sell out on Thursday, some will spread it across all Con. Usually don't know until we get there.

Posted by soulcatcher78

If they run it like their launch of the Pathfinder core rule book they will have a pallet of them.  I wouldn't worry to much about it and enjoy your TD run.  Once you're finished with the run you can join the queue (expect it to be a long one so use the bathroom first) to purchase the new Paizo hotness.

Welcome to the tribe!

Posted by armadilloal

RPG's are easier to ship than board games, which is the main reason board games are in short supply at big conventions, so if you're looking for Starfinder specifically you should be fine. Paizo's looking to sell as many as possible, and shipping costs won't be a dealbreaker for them, so I can't imagine them bringing any less than they know they can sell.

Posted by aduong314 trace_sl

trace_sl wrote:
Think Paizo will be covered with Starfinder, at least until Saturday.  It possible they could sell out daily but figure they will have stock on hand to re-supply. 
Oh, if you sign up for the Starfinder subscription service and are at Gen Con you have until the end of the July, you can pick your August Starfinder stuff up at Gen Con.  See the Paizo site for details. 
It is the smaller vendors that you have to worry about as they have limited stock on hand.

So if I sign up for a subscription will I be assured a copy of the rule book there?

Posted by david campbell

I've signed up for a Starfinder subscription; I'll wait for it to get shipped home. I've been a Pathfinder subscriber for years, and only once did the pickups. There is no separate line for subscribers; you need to queue up with everyone else, and it just wasn't worth the wait for something I know I'd have in my hands in a week.

Posted by aduong314 david campbell

david campbell wrote:
I've signed up for a Starfinder subscription; I'll wait for it to get shipped home. I've been a Pathfinder subscriber for years, and only once did the pickups. There is no separate line for subscribers; you need to queue up with everyone else, and it just wasn't worth the wait for something I know I'd have in my hands in a week.

Thats what I was thinking but I have a pretty long ways back home after gen con and was hoping to have it to read during then if it weren't for that then I wouldn't really care because I know the product will be out soon after the con. were you assured a copy though did they have one set aside for you with the subscription?  

Posted by trace_sl aduong314

aduong314 wrote:
trace_sl wrote:
So if I sign up for a subscription will I be assured a copy of the rule book there?

Looks like it, plus the other Starfinder products being released in August that are part of Subscription. 

As to lines, would think they would learn from past and have a different  line for them.

Here is the link to the details. http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ugj5?August-Gen-Con-2017-New-Release-and-Monthly

Posted by rayken

I am almost certain Paizo will have hundreds if not a thousand of those core rulebooks for sale.

Posted by aduong314 trace_sl

trace_sl wrote:
aduong314 wrote:
trace_sl wrote:

Looks like it, plus the other Starfinder products being released in August that are part of Subscription. As to lines, would think they would learn from past and have a different  line for them.
Here is the link to the details. http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ugj5?August-Gen-Con-2017-New-Release-and-Monthly

I'm still kind of confused on what i get out of a subscription is it just the rulebook right now?

Posted by mvotruba

If past performance is any indication of what will happen this year, I would NOT worry about picking up the core rule book you seek on Thursday or Friday.  In years past, whichever new book Paizo had at Gen Con, there was always a HUGE pyramid at their booth.

Honestly, if I was to offer any advice it would be to go to your True Dungeon event and stroll in after you take your break for lunch.  I've stood in that line Thursday morning...it took FOREVER.  Later (that day and other days), the line died down and I would have saved SO much of my precious Gen Con time had I just waited.  Personally, I would advise you to hold off the subscription, pick up your book at Gen Con, and if it's your thing, you can even have Paizo contributors sign your copy at the Paizo booth...each year they all carry lanyards with sharpies for just that.

I like Paizo & Pathfinder...good game, good company.  I hope you enjoy Starfinder.

Posted by keithbradburn aduong314

aduong314 wrote:
trace_sl wrote:
aduong314 wrote:
trace_sl wrote:

Looks like it, plus the other Starfinder products being released in August that are part of Subscription. As to lines, would think they would learn from past and have a different  line for them.
I'm still kind of confused on what i get out of a subscription is it just the rulebook right now?
Depends on the subscription.  There are different subscriptions for different product lines within each line.  For example, with Starfinder there is a Starfinder Roleplaying Game subscription, Starfinder Adventure Path subscription, etc... There are actually 5 different subscriptions for Starfinder currently.  With the Starfinder Roleplaying Game you would get the core book, aliens book, etc.  Plus, I believe the PDF of the product free.  If you look at the bottom of the page, http://paizo.com/store/starfinder it has the subscriptions and products to go with them. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.