Hauling your purchases
Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

We were lucky. In 2017 my son was only 2 months old for Gen Con, so he just slept in one of those baby wraps things on either his Mother or myself. All the background noise in the hall was actually nice as little babies like noise. So he slept most of the Con while we would game. This year we left him at home as he is a very active and grabby kid now and that would have been problematic, but not everyone has the option to leave their kids at home.

I agree with Marian, if you are coming with the a stroller, use the umbrella kind. But it is hard to get through the hall just walking, a stroller sounds like a nightmare to push.

Normal
Small
Posted by jamestone1990 jonesr14

jonesr14 wrote:
Obviously a big part of GenCon is purchasing the newest games, figures, and other items I have a few questions about transporting merchandise purchased at GenCon. 
​​​​​​Do you carry your new merch with you all day? Do you find that annoying?
Do you head back to your living quarters after purchases? Do you hate wasting that time?
How does everyone get their GenCon haul from Indy to home, especially if you're flying?
Just curious because I found lugging everything around write cumbersome.
Thanks for your feedback/advice.
Don't ever, ever, ever purchase a truck from a trucking company and haul for them at the same time.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent jamestone1990

jamestone1990 wrote:
jonesr14 wrote:
Obviously a big part of GenCon is purchasing the newest games, figures, and other items I have a few questions about transporting merchandise purchased at GenCon. 
​​​​​​Do you carry your new merch with you all day? Do you find that annoying?
Do you head back to your living quarters after purchases? Do you hate wasting that time?
How does everyone get their GenCon haul from Indy to home, especially if you're flying?
Just curious because I found lugging everything around write cumbersome.
Thanks for your feedback/advice.
Don't ever, ever, ever purchase a truck from a trucking company and haul for them at the same time.
Do you mean, like, don't ever be an owner operator in the trucking industry?  Maybe good advice, but seems irrelevant to this thread.  I'm confused.

Normal
Small
Posted by repto

Re: Kids...  Leave the stroller in an out of way hallway (behind furniture or in the Training Grounds) and use a sling or baby backpack to navigate the Dealer's Hall and some of the larger con gaming rooms.  My three kids have been doing GenCon since the fetus stage (they are now 21, 19 and 14); I would not have survived without my Mayawrap!

Regarding suitcases and the like... for the past 14 years, we've brought a smallish rolling carry-on with us to the Con hall from our hotel, to cart home our daily purchases as well as bring some games, DnD books for events, water and a few snacks. I first spotted this at GenCon where the two owners raved about it, and we've used it for many different conventions over the years.  It is called a Zuca and you can sit on it, which makes it a godsend at the Con during gaming sessions, impromptu events in hallways and throughout the con when you need to sit and there just aren't many options out there.  We do NOT take it into the Dealer's hall but leave it in some out of the way place during the day. I usually leave it with a friend who runs numerous gaming sessions in one of the adjunct spaces. I really trust the con goers and have never had a problem with anything being taken.  Add a couple of bungie cords and you'd be amazed at what you can cart back to the hotel!

Normal
Small
Posted by kellishaver rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
I think parents would be crazy to bring a stroller through the dealer hall.  It is so crowded, people get bumped all the time.  It would be terrible if a stroller with a very young child got knocked over.  

Oh man, I almost did this last year. I have no peripheral vision, but I wasn't using my white cane, because the dealer hall is so crowded it would have been almost useless, not to mention a tripping hazard for other people. I was with my husband so it wasn't a big deal, but of course the one time I wasn't, I turned around to get back to where he was and suddenly there was a baby in a very low stroller, right at ankle height.

I can't see much below my chin without actively looking down and I wasn't expecting anything so low to the ground like that in a big crowd of tall adults packed so close together. Fortunately, I only shuffled into him a little (again, due to the crowd) and was then able to stop myself before really crashing into the stroller. It was scary, but his dad was super understanding. Little dude was somehow sound asleep, though. 

Of course, you could make the argument that I was equally crazy for being there, I guess, but I had a guide 99% of the time. 

As to OP's question, we drive up from KY and stay at an off-site hotel. However, we park nearby, so we take games back to our van throughout the day. The short walk is a nice break from the crowds. The van has pretty heavily tinted back windows and the lot where we parked was attended. No issues were had. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.