Gate Ten emailed a bunch of people, exposing our email addresses to each other, saying we have to pay for parking again. Is this a scam?
Posted by joeyskywalker

Is this a scam? This doesn't seem right at all. They said Square couldn't handle the volume and we have to pay again?

The email (I blurred out everyone's email address): https://imgur.com/3y1dJQz

The Word doc: https://imgur.com/glgSM9M

Posted by jwibbenmeyer

I havent received this email (yet) so I cannot be 100% certain, but prior to the parking spots going on sale, I called into Gate Ten directly and found their customer service to be very accommodating. Try to speak to the source directly to see what is up.

(317) 737-2036

I would give them a call or leave a voicemail. If you leave a voicemail, they are pretty good with calling you back and speaking with you.

Posted by roundtop

And if you call them, and it is legit, tell them:

#1: BCC exists for a reason.
#2: Word docs in e-mails is a SECURITY THREAT! Use PDF at minimum (Heck, Word has "save to PDF" as an option)

I highly expect this is a scam, due to the word doc and a different URL. But that then means that someone got their e-mail database, which means they were hacked.

Source: Work for a computer security company.

Posted by matthias9

The Gate Ten email address in the header is similar to, but not actually their email address.  This seems like a scam.

Either way, you should contact the company directly (not through reply or anything that came through the suspicious email.)

Incidentally, while this COULD mean they were hacked, I tend to doubt it as then they might already have credit card info, access to the actual email address, etc.  There are other ways they could have gotten your email address.  And the others listed in the "To:" header may or may not even be actual Gate Ten customers. 

Posted by brooks

There's all kinds of grammar mistakes in the subject of the email and in the document itself. Big red flags that it's a scam. Bad news for Gate 10 they've probably been hacked. 

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Square has been down for at least 2-3 days, so there is a possibility that this is legit, and the people at Gate Ten just don't understand BCC or no speaka da English real gud.

As far as the payment, they said they will refund your CC, and if they don't, your CC company will do a charge back.

Posted by freebiegrabber

They own their own domain name (gatetenevents.com) but they're using a GMAIL address for their (alleged) correspondence?  HMMMMMMM....

That's the email listed on their website.  You'd be amazed at how many companies with domains won't pay for an email service on their own domain (mine costs $1/month), and G10 is a parking company, don't expect them to be too tech-savvy.

Posted by aaronmlopez

The email address is wrong on what was sent. This is obviously a scam. Go to gatetenevents.com and you see their correct contact email address ([email protected]). Also, just because your name and email were on the list, the rest of the email addresses on the list could also be fake or not actual customers (they just added email addresses to the email to make it seem legit). 

There is nothing about a hack on the Gate Ten website, and why would they ask you to go to an entirely different website to purchase parking?

With as big of an event as Gen Con in, I am also pretty sure that Gate 10 would have notified Gen Con of the change in where to purchase parking. 

I just spoke with L (didn't ask her full name, don't want people yelling at her) at Gate Ten, and it's legit.  She admits that they screwed up big time, both with the BCC and the attachment.  If you can't get through on the 317 #, try the 855-2GO-PARK.

While a number of things were odd, nothing was definitive that it was a scam and not just a bad screwup.  If you click on the Gen Con parking link on G10's website now, it directs you to the same site as given in the email, Affordable Indy Event Parking.  A lot of companies don't host their own store, and use 3rd party sites for purchases.  They also might have multiple email addresses.

Posted by brooks buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
I just spoke L (didn't ask her full name, don't want people yelling at her) at Gate Ten, and it's legit.  She admits that they screwed up big time, both with the BCC and the attachment.  If you can't get through on the 317 #, try the 855-2GO-PARK.
While a number of things were odd, nothing was definitive that it was a scam and not just a bad screwup.  If you click on the Gen Con parking link on G10's website now, it directs you to the same site as given in the email, Affordable Indy Event Parking.  A lot of companies don't host their own store, and use 3rd party sites for purchases.  They also might have multiple email addresses.

Mystery solved. 

It's interesting how they could not have created a more scam-looking email if they had actively tried to, yet the entire thing was legitimate. Hopefully they'll get everything sorted out. 

It's interesting how they could not have created a more scam-looking email if they had actively tried to, yet the entire thing was legitimate. Hopefully they'll get everything sorted out. 

Yep, kinda sad, but as I pointed out, they are probably not very tech-savvy.  What is this "computer" you speak of?

ETA: They said the file was supposed to be cut-and-pasted into the email, not attached.  Oops...

Posted by cloak72 roundtop

roundtop wrote:
#2: Word docs in e-mails is a SECURITY THREAT! Use PDF at minimum (Heck, Word has "save to PDF" as an option)
Sort of, but still bad advice.   ANY file is a security threat, especially PDFs (just because people are used to seeing them), with the single exception of pure text files.  Never open any attachment you are not expecting.   Contact the person who sent it to you (not via the reply action) and confirm first. 

Posted by bushmaster

On the GenCon Facebook page, Gate Ten posted about this.

Posted by roundtop cloak72

cloak72 wrote:
roundtop wrote:
Sort of, but still bad advice.   ANY file is a security threat, especially PDFs (just because people are used to seeing them), with the single exception of pure text files.  Never open any attachment you are not expecting.   Contact the person who sent it to you (not via the reply action) and confirm first. 

For sure any attachment can be, however in the hierarchy of attachments, images are least vulnerable, and adobe PDF is pretty shortly after that.  Why? Adobe got known for issues, so locked up reader and full acrobat pretty tightly to not enable everything when opening off the internet or e-mail client. also, the scripting that can be done from a PDF is much more limited in scope than what was previously possible.

Word on the other hand has a full scripting engine built into it, and Outlook tries to auto-open microsoft documents if your settings are lowered.

Posted by jtzell bushmaster

bushmaster wrote:
On the GenCon Facebook page, Gate Ten posted about this.

FYI the post was on the Fans of Gen Con page not the main Gen Con page. 

Posted by trace_sl brooks

brooks wrote:
buffythecatslayer wrote:
I just spoke L (didn't ask her full name, don't want people yelling at her) at Gate Ten, and it's legit.  She admits that they screwed up big time, both with the BCC and the attachment.  If you can't get through on the 317 #, try the 855-2GO-PARK.

Mystery solved. It's interesting how they could not have created a more scam-looking email if they had actively tried to, yet the entire thing was legitimate. Hopefully they'll get everything sorted out. 

Unless Buffythecatslayer is part of the scam...just saying...do you know Buffy?  :o :) :o :) 

Buffy is always trying to scam treats, so why not your money?  That mutt is a shifty one to be sure.

Posted by bushmaster buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:Buffy is always trying to scam treats, so why not your money?  That mutt is a shifty one to be sure.
I have said this before but your Buffy and my Sadie could be sisters!!  Or maybe the same dog???

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.